Installing/Booting without CD

Booting, installing, newbie
salsarocket

Installing/Booting without CD

#1 Post by salsarocket »

I have been wanting to resurrect an old laptop for a while now, and after a few problems with other OS's I have decided to try Puppy; since I am a complete newbie it seemed promising. Booting from a CD seems like a great option, but I have no working disc drive (or floppy drive, or wireless internet cards for that matter), and to get files on my computer it is a matter of porting files over with a flash drive--any files making their way onto my laptop would have to get here by this method..

My question is, is there a way to install Puppy to my laptop (old Dell Latitude) without having to use a CD drive at all? If virtual drives would work I can try that.

I would boot from CD on my current laptop and then install Puppy onto a flash drive, but I don't want to risk ruining my good laptop to try and save an old one--I have never done this before and don't trust myself to keep my computer intact.

Thanks for any help!

Details:
Old Dell Latitude
No CD ROM drive
No Floppy Drive
No working Wireless Internet Card Slot
255 MB RAM

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

salsarocket as you see from Lobster's links he trust you to be able to use these instructions as they are.

My friendly suggestion is that we test Lobster's suggestion here in your thread.

Do as the man tells you. Look at all three and chose the one you thing works for you and then report back here if it just worked or if you stumble on something you fail to understand or if it fail to work that way on your Dell.

Give as much info as possible or which seems reasonable to you about what in the text that was a hurdle or stumble block.

Lobster trust that them should ahve text you get. Why not test if Lobster is right. Not every newbie are like the Nooby guy active here in thif forum. I usually fail to get such texts.

If the Dell has Win XP on it then I would use the frugal install that ICPUG has on his site instead and do a completely manual install that gives you more control. if you fail with these three then I look up the link to ICPUG. :) We trust Lobster getting it right first.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Bruce B

Re: Installing/Booting without CD

#4 Post by Bruce B »

salsarocket wrote:I have been wanting to resurrect an old laptop for
a while now, and after a few problems with other OS's I have decided to
try Puppy; since I am a complete newbie it seemed promising. Booting
from a CD seems like a great option, but I have no working disc drive
(or floppy drive, or wireless internet cards for that matter), and to get
files on my computer it is a matter of porting files over with a flash
drive--any files making their way onto my laptop would have to get
here by this method.
It's promising. A flash stick network works.

We don't know about the hard drive, existing format, or OS

Make directory on hdd - foobar

Copy these files to foobar

initrd.gz
vmlinuz
foobar.sfs

Here is the link for the bootloader nooby referred
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

When you post back, also say what puppy version and os on the
hdd.

~

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Thanks Bruce. I was criminally lazy to not look it up.

But if salsarocket is a newbie which I trust then he has no clue or idea what a Foobar is about.

I've read that word now at least since 2006 and still don't know what it refers to.

I would say instead. Make a folder or subdir with same name as the puppy you want to do a frugal install of. Frugal install is the easiest to set up by manual writing to a text file named menu.lst and if Lupu 525 is the best for your Dell then chose that one. Maybe Fluppy 13 is a better choice but do start with 525.

So your "Foobar" or folder or subdir will have the name lupu-525 and the menu.lst entry will or may then look like this

title lupu-525 Puppy Linux
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /lupu-525/vmlinuz pmedia=satahd pdev1=sda1 psubdir=lupu-525 puppy pfix=fsck
initrd /lupu-525/initrd.gz

Bruce I am too lazy to look up that foobar thing too. Shame on me. My bad.

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Foobar is: A metasyntactic placeholder name used in syntax or
algorithm specifications to show the places where content can vary.

From your example:

kernel /lupu-525/vmlinuz

lupu-525 is the variable but kernel and vmlinux aren't.

So I could say

kernel /foobar/vmlinuz

Which means to say, whatever is appropriate or what you want.

He didn't say 525, you did.

I noticed that and thought because of that, not stating, let him do the
appropriate substitution.

~

nooby

#7 Post by nooby »

Yeah I know. So many years of laziness makes the lazy person as dumb down as I am. I could ahve learned that one already 1990 or even as early as 1986 or even earlier when we had Sinclair Z80 computer doing Basic Computer Language programming in whopping 1Kb RAM? Saving on ordinary CC in 300 Baud

Haha I love this part

Foobar is: A metasyntactic placeholder name used in syntax or
algorithm specifications to show the places where content can vary.

I think I get all the other words but metasyntactic? Okay it is meta that usually means above and syntax that most likely means some structured text that is logically put together to be read by machines or even humans?

rjbrewer

#8 Post by rjbrewer »

Bruce B and nooby touring the mythical "Spawn Ranch"
in a "Foomobile".

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

We had Foo Fighters when I was a teen :) Now they have Lizzard People that run the show.

Ooops forgot to tell you the secret. The Never Run as Root thing is an order from the NWO.

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

nooby wrote:I think I get all the other words but metasyntactic? Okay it is meta that usually means above and syntax that most likely means some structured text that is logically put together to be read by machines or even humans?
It is, oh goodness, like this: it is syntax for describing syntax.

~