Will a thin client with a VIA Eden CPU run Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
starhawk

#31 Post by starhawk »

Hay guyz I'm back.

So I'm downloading Wary 5.0 (which I assume is fairly stable), but I'm only able to get an ISO. What's the easiest way to turn that ISO into something for a 32gb CF card?

(Also, does anyone know how to make a CF card bootable? Hurr derp a derp.)

EDIT: what I actually need is an easy way to install /to/ the CF card. I can't seem to get this heap to boot to USB, so I suppose I'm going to be installing from another computer...

Any ideas, folks?

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

Looking at my last post... I really /am/ a derp!

I'm posting this from my netbook (temporarily running the Wary 5 live CD) and formatting my CF card for at /least/ the eighth time.

It finally occurred to me that I'd need a FAT partition on there to boot from.

So how do I stick a bootloader in one partition and have it boot to the second (ext3) partition?

BTW, SeaMonkey really stinks -- I'm going to want Firefox on this beastie soon.

EDIT: *sigh* I'm an idiot. I just found the makebootfat option. Cue Miss Lotella...

Icesnake

Easy way to install to CF card

#33 Post by Icesnake »

I just put ChromeOS on a CF card for an antique Dell Latitude CSx (500MHZ, 256M RAM). I bought a CF-to-IDE adapter from Amazon (around $10), grabbed an old Dell desktop that had an IDE port and a CD-ROM drive, disconnected the internal HDD, and slapped a 3.5-inch to 2.5-inch IDE adapter on the CF-to-IDE adapter (can you say "Rube Goldberg?").

Fifteen minutes later, I was booting ChromeOS on the old Latitude.

Same technique should work for Puppy. The tricky part is getting the Esprit to boot from CF. It shouldn't matter much what's on the CF, as long as it's a bootable Linux distro for x86.

I did find my old Kodak 4GB CF card doesn't like to pretend it's an HDD, but a Transcend 16GB will sing and dance.

Aitch

#34 Post by Aitch »

starhawk wrote:So how do I stick a bootloader in one partition and have it boot to the second (ext3) partition?
I believe this to be an old method used by raffy(?)

Note: for a puppy/linux only setup!

Create a small fat32 partition used only for grub, and its menu

I think the smallest Gparted will do is 7mb!

2nd Partition can be ext2 or 3

then adjust the menu.lst to point to the 2nd partition, where the puppy files are [frugal]

/mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst, That's where it will be if you have a frugal HD install. (It's still at /boot/grub/menu.lst if you look at the partition you installed it on, which would be at /mnt/home/ in a running frugal install.)
As a last resort, this command should track it down as long as the partition is mounted:

Code: Select all

find / -name menu.lst
you should see something like

Code: Select all

title Linux (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=normal
  initrd (hd0,1)initrd.gz
AFAIK this works with CFs and USB flash drives ....hard drives too, if need be :D

Aitch :)