Will a thin client with a VIA Eden CPU run Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
rjbrewer

#16 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:
My apologies, I have Asperger's Syndrome and occasionally have difficulty communicating... it's usually not this bad.
Okay;

You've found the perfect home here at the Puppy forum. :lol:

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

I'm not sure what you mean by that... :oops:

rjbrewer

#18 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by that... :oops:
Many of the forum members have an occasional problem
communicating clearly for many different reasons,

Full installs

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

Ah. I thought that's what you meant, but I wasn't sure. Yes, dealing with n00bs can sometimes be frustrating... especially when they don't know enough even to explain what's going on around them.

Getting back on topic...

I will send an email to Esprit and see if they respond, regarding the CPU speed. If all else fails, when mine arrives I'll pull the heatsink. Shouldn't be that hard, I've done it before (albeit only on a real computer).

EDIT: email sent to info[at]sourceforterminals[dot]com. Hope they actually bother to respond...

EDIT2: got impatient and called them... they have literally like four people for tech support: one for EST, one for CST+MST, one for PST, and one for International sales. These guys are pathetic.

starhawk

#20 Post by starhawk »

I want to test Wary 098, see how it looks and if it'll work for me. AFAIK, my netbook (ASUS Eee 1000HE) supports booting from external CD.

My question is... do I download the *.iso or the *.sfs? I'm guessing the ISO, but with new things, one never really knows for sure...

rjbrewer

#21 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:I want to test Wary 098, see how it looks and if it'll work for me. AFAIK, my netbook (ASUS Eee 1000HE) supports booting from external CD.

My question is... do I download the *.iso or the *.sfs? I'm guessing the ISO, but with new things, one never really knows for sure...
Iso for Wary.

Puppeee is best for eee netbooks;

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59556

Full installs

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

That seems logical 8) but raises a question:

What are the differences (at user level) between Puppeee and Wary? i.e. what applications will I see in one but not the other? Ditto for interfaces, etc.

Don't worry about WiFi config on the thin client, btw, it doesn't have it built in and the sole PCI slot is a pin header rather than a cardedge connector :?

DLing Puppeee...

starhawk

#23 Post by starhawk »

OK... ignoring the spam you're getting for the moment...

Now I've got a *.zip file of the latest Puppeee. How do I get a bootable CD from that? Or did I do something wrong?

:?

rjbrewer

#24 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:OK... ignoring the spam you're getting for the moment...

Now I've got a *.zip file of the latest Puppeee. How do I get a bootable CD from that? Or did I do something wrong?

:?
The zip file is for making a bootable usbflash or sdd card.
The netbooks don't come with cd drives, so an iso for making
cds was not included.
Install instructions are at the same link you got the zip file.

Full installs

starhawk

#25 Post by starhawk »

Oh. That not only makes sense, it's actually quite thoughtful.

The irony here is that I've got a blank CD in my external waiting to be used, and I don't have a spare flash drive or SD card.

:oops: Lemme go ask my father if he's got one.

EDIT: I assume that I can't just use my copy of IMGBurn to make an ISO of the files, mark the thing bootable, and have it come out the other end functional?

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

OK, got my USB stick.

Here goes nothing...

rjbrewer

#27 Post by rjbrewer »

starhawk wrote:Oh. That not only makes sense, it's actually quite thoughtful.

The irony here is that I've got a blank CD in my external waiting to be used, and I don't have a spare flash drive or SD card.

:oops: Lemme go ask my father if he's got one.

EDIT: I assume that I can't just use my copy of IMGBurn to make an ISO of the files, mark the thing bootable, and have it come out the other end functional?
I've only used imgburn to burn an iso to cd.

I didn't know imgburn could create an iso from zip files; I'll have to
give it a try.

Full installs

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

:D I'm on Puppeee!!!

YAY! This is really cool, although I do prefer Firefox to Chrome...

BTW, I must say that connecting with Pwireless2 is a PITA and very unintuitive. First, you gotta find your network. Then connect -- and the key is in *HEX* (grrr. aargh.) Then you have to disconnect and click "ROAM" at which point you connect for real. Very strange...

BTW, ISO files are how IMGBurn works... if you watch the log, you'll notice that it makes an image file before it burns when dealing with anything else.

EDIT: I see that the spam has been mopped up now. Cool!

EDIT2: Back in Windows... *sigh* Puppeee was actually pretty snappy running from USB...

starhawk

#29 Post by starhawk »

Couple o' things... upon reflection, there are two things I very much don't like about Puppeee. I know that one is (relatively) easy to change, but I'm not sure about the other...

(1) Google Chrome. I am (as posted earlier) a diehard Firefox user. Chrome has a very strange interface, comparatively, that takes a lot of getting used to. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good browser, it's just not for me.

(2) Mouse clicks. I'm used to Windows Wacko Edition (specifically XP SP3) where a single-click selects and a double-click opens/executes/does stuff. In Puppeee, a single-click does stuff, and a double-click does stuff twice. Very annoying to me, and almost impossible to "get used to".

I'd post this somewhere else if I knew where to post it.

Aitch

#30 Post by Aitch »

Starhawk,
I'm not sure what you mean by that...
He may be referring to another popular Asberger sufferer here by the handle 'nooby'

and the fact that puppians come in all shapes, sizes, sexes, religions, if any, ages, even planets*
...so you'll be quite welcome here

http://tmxxine.posterous.com/

Tee hee, just teasing Lobster

Aitch :)

starhawk

#31 Post by starhawk »

Hay guyz I'm back.

So I'm downloading Wary 5.0 (which I assume is fairly stable), but I'm only able to get an ISO. What's the easiest way to turn that ISO into something for a 32gb CF card?

(Also, does anyone know how to make a CF card bootable? Hurr derp a derp.)

EDIT: what I actually need is an easy way to install /to/ the CF card. I can't seem to get this heap to boot to USB, so I suppose I'm going to be installing from another computer...

Any ideas, folks?

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

Looking at my last post... I really /am/ a derp!

I'm posting this from my netbook (temporarily running the Wary 5 live CD) and formatting my CF card for at /least/ the eighth time.

It finally occurred to me that I'd need a FAT partition on there to boot from.

So how do I stick a bootloader in one partition and have it boot to the second (ext3) partition?

BTW, SeaMonkey really stinks -- I'm going to want Firefox on this beastie soon.

EDIT: *sigh* I'm an idiot. I just found the makebootfat option. Cue Miss Lotella...

Icesnake

Easy way to install to CF card

#33 Post by Icesnake »

I just put ChromeOS on a CF card for an antique Dell Latitude CSx (500MHZ, 256M RAM). I bought a CF-to-IDE adapter from Amazon (around $10), grabbed an old Dell desktop that had an IDE port and a CD-ROM drive, disconnected the internal HDD, and slapped a 3.5-inch to 2.5-inch IDE adapter on the CF-to-IDE adapter (can you say "Rube Goldberg?").

Fifteen minutes later, I was booting ChromeOS on the old Latitude.

Same technique should work for Puppy. The tricky part is getting the Esprit to boot from CF. It shouldn't matter much what's on the CF, as long as it's a bootable Linux distro for x86.

I did find my old Kodak 4GB CF card doesn't like to pretend it's an HDD, but a Transcend 16GB will sing and dance.

Aitch

#34 Post by Aitch »

starhawk wrote:So how do I stick a bootloader in one partition and have it boot to the second (ext3) partition?
I believe this to be an old method used by raffy(?)

Note: for a puppy/linux only setup!

Create a small fat32 partition used only for grub, and its menu

I think the smallest Gparted will do is 7mb!

2nd Partition can be ext2 or 3

then adjust the menu.lst to point to the 2nd partition, where the puppy files are [frugal]

/mnt/home/boot/grub/menu.lst, That's where it will be if you have a frugal HD install. (It's still at /boot/grub/menu.lst if you look at the partition you installed it on, which would be at /mnt/home/ in a running frugal install.)
As a last resort, this command should track it down as long as the partition is mounted:

Code: Select all

find / -name menu.lst
you should see something like

Code: Select all

title Linux (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2 ro vga=normal
  initrd (hd0,1)initrd.gz
AFAIK this works with CFs and USB flash drives ....hard drives too, if need be :D

Aitch :)