Google Chrome breaks cups

Using applications, configuring, problems
eden6000

#1 Post by eden6000 »

Maybe it's the wrong section...and I suppose this has already been discovered by other users...anyway, installing google chrome (the .deb one from google site) breaks cups, you can't print anymore, nor enter in any section of the cups page to configure the printer...maybe someone has solved this issue?

johndgeek

#2 Post by johndgeek »

I noticed the same problem.

It's easy enough to start over again (re-install puppy or use a new save file). That will bring CUPS back.

I also found a nice thread about re-installing CUPS. Hope this helps.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40665
[color=darkblue][size=150]1st rule of intelligent tinkering - save all the parts.
-- Source Unknown[/size][/color]

jpeps

Re: Google Chrome breaks cups

#3 Post by jpeps »

johndgeek wrote:
It's easy enough to start over again (re-install puppy or use a new save file). That will bring CUPS back.
Yuck!! Generally, it turns out that a permission got changed somewhere. I converted the pet (or deb) to an sfs, and am not having problems. SFS would be less likely to overwrite anything, so might be worth a try.

eden6000

#4 Post by eden6000 »

Thanks guys...in the meanwhile I have solved the problem installing the chromium pet, at the moment I'm using version 7.0.517.44, that works perfectly...

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

Because Puppy can install a DEB file just by clicking on it, people assume that this a legitimate way to install software. Unfortunately, some DEBs contain ownership and permission information that is incompatible with Puppy.

Normally, you won't see a problem because the default root user in Puppy will override any conflicts. But CUPS works as a non-privileged user and will fail when it sees the conflict. People then tend to blame CUPS for the failure.

KusaNoKaito

#6 Post by KusaNoKaito »

This doesn't seem to happen in a frugal install of Puppy 5.1. (I could be the version of chrome I am using, who knows)

jpeps

#7 Post by jpeps »

rcrsn51 wrote:Because Puppy can install a DEB file just by clicking on it, people assume that this a legitimate way to install software. Unfortunately, some DEBs contain ownership and permission information that is incompatible with Puppy.

Normally, you won't see a problem because the default root user in Puppy will override any conflicts. But CUPS works as a non-privileged user and will fail when it sees the conflict. People then tend to blame CUPS for the failure.
I was just experimenting with the idea of locking down cup files so ownership/permissions can't get changed. The printer seems to still work. The files could be unlocked for adding/managing.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

## Locks in printer permissions: root:nobody
## To reverse, change to "chattr -i"    

[ -f /tmp/list ] &&  rm /tmp/list
cd /etc/cups
ls -l | grep "nobody" | cut -d " " -f8 >>/tmp/list

cd /initrd/pup_rw/etc/cups

while read line; do
 chattr +i "$line"
done < /tmp/list

chattr -R +i /initrd/pup_rw/var/cache/cups