Manual PET removal

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
magpie

Manual PET removal

#1 Post by magpie »

Fluppy looks very good on my Toshiba NB310-N305 netbook. I've tried several other puppies over the years and I'm always amazed at the solid, creative work the devs put into them. So while I was partitioning yesterday I decided to take Fluppy for a ride and installed it.
My problem: I installed a Firefox PET and there seems to be a missing dependency. Instead of hunting down that file I decided to uninstall FF but I can't figure out how to do it. It doesn't appear in PPM and when I right click on the PET there isn't an uninstall option. How can I get rid of it without having to delete each individual file that was installed?
Second question: how can I add repos to Fluppy? The default app collection is limited and I'd like some more choices...
Thanks.

runtt21

#2 Post by runtt21 »

If you still have the .pet You can unpack it by opening a terminal in teh folder where the .pet is and run pet2tgz Firefox-3.6.pet or what ever the .pet is called .Then click on the tgz that get made out of the .pet. Then in the archiver that opens select all and then extract. This will make a new folder with all the stuff from inside the .pet and that will show you where everything got installed to . Most of it should be in /usr/lib/firefox and /root/.mozilla . If PPM cant list .pet you will need to delete those files.

harii4

#3 Post by harii4 »

could you as well look at the package.file at ~/.packages and find the files easyier?
3.01 Fat Free / Fire Hydrant featherweight/ TXZ_pup / 431JP2012
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace and Justice are two sides of the same coin.

GustavoYz

#4 Post by GustavoYz »

Basically runtt21 and harii4 said everything...
Anyway, here are two ways more...

As pets files are just renamed tar.gz, you could try this to get a list of the files inside the pet:

Code: Select all

tar tzvf someRealPackage-xx.pet
If you dont want to use the pet2tgz by some reason, just erase the '.pet' part of the name and replace it by 'tar.gz'
(using 'rename' option in your right button menu).
Then you can extract normally the tar.gz file in Xarchivier
-ignore the error message-.
With that list you can delete the files manually...
Iif that's what you want :roll:

Hope to be helpful.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

magpie,
We are all giving advice on guesses how you got the package and how exactly you installed it.

So can you please give this information.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]