Macpup 511

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#91 Post by runtt21 »

Very cool txemijendrix ! Thank you very much !

runtt21

Itask-ng

#92 Post by runtt21 »

This is the how to for Itask-ng. To load Itask-ng open the setting panel and go over to extensions and click on Itask-ng. In the window that opens click add.

Select the bar you just added and click configure. The Itask-ng configure window will open. Here you can adjust the size of the icons,the location of itask.Etc. You can also open this window form Menu-settings-itask-ng now.If Itask-ng isn't running the window won't open.

If you then click on the Launcher and then configure you can change to a customized list of apps and make adjustments just like the ibar.

The version of Itask-ng that macpup has will have reflections under the icons this causes problems if you place itask-ng on one of the sides or the top of the desktop. Install the Itask-ng-02 .pet to get rid of the reflections. I recommend installing the .pet while Itask-ng is not running.
Attachments
Itask-ng-02.pet
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 513 times

ragaman

#93 Post by ragaman »

Thanks again, runtt and company for another masterpiece. Macpup is perhaps the most handsome and fastest e17 distro out there.

Unfortunately, the Places module/gadget doesn't work. It is the more convenient and better looking alternative to pmount. Anyone able to make it work?

runtt21

#94 Post by runtt21 »

@ ragman, pri made a pet that will put drive icons on the deskop . I have never used it. But it might help you.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 293#368293

maxpro4u

#95 Post by maxpro4u »

runtt21 wrote:@ maxpro4u You need to use the CPU scaling tool, Menu-Applications-utility-Cpu Frequency Scaling tool I have never used it .I have never had a problem on any of my computers with them running hot in Macpup or puppy.I know they changed it in the latest Lupu but I don't remember what they did.

You might look this over as well:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28443
I don't know what the problem was but I downloaded a fresh copy of macpup and everything seems fine now :D

My evo has some special keys for sound,media,internet and I was able to get the sound keybindings working but not the media,internet,mail or search buttons. It also has a scroll button below the touchpad that is working also. I tried to setup my keyboard using the keyboard wizard but there are no kbs listed to change to.

What a great puppy! Thanks 8)
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

runtt21

#96 Post by runtt21 »

What a great puppy! Thanks
Sir, Thank you very much !!! They are getting better.

runtt21

#97 Post by runtt21 »

A few words about the e file manager(EFM) To open efm go to menu-files and pick one of the four location and efm will open there.

Home will put you in /root , Desktop will put you in /root/desktop. Favorites will put you in /root/.e/e/fileman/favorites , I have no idea why it just does.
root will put you in / .

right clicking inside efm will give you several options. There are more in the settings panel.

Be careful with it.When you drag and drop from one folder to another it will move but won't give you the option to copy. I don't use efm very much.So I didn't set most of the run options so clicking on text or videos won't do anything..This has caused some new people some problems cause clicking on a .pet or .deb in emf won't install it. I recommend using rox.

ragaman

#98 Post by ragaman »

runtt21 wrote:@ ragman, pri made a pet that will put drive icons on the deskop . I have never used it. But it might help you.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 293#368293
Thank you very much. Pri's pet will do for now.

Eyes-Only

#99 Post by Eyes-Only »

Thank you runtt for explaining how to get/open EFM. :) I know that in the past with your puplet, or with other distros using e16/e17, I've always tried using EFM and have found it "somewhat" confusing.

This time I tried finding it in "Files" and couldn't find a way to open it. DUH! Now I know why. :lol: I had even wondered whether or not you might possibly have just not have installed it.

And as Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story!"

Looks to me like EFM has grown up tremendously since even as little awhile ago a just a year. Or so it would seem to me at least! I could be all wet behind the ears of course. I will say a few things though runtt: The MORE I keep using this Macpup-511 the more I realise that this newest version of e17 has finally come of its own - has come to fruitition. It has spent a very long time trying to blossom... and now it has clearly become a flawless and rare rose in a sea of daisies ( "other window managers & desktops" ).

Where in the past this desktop could be quite complicated to use, to configure, and very unstable - it now seems to possess the stability of bedrock. And for ease of use? Well, if this mostly brain-dead person here can use it AND easily figure out the various settings then anyone else should be able to do likewise without any problem whatsoever!

In closing runtt I'd also like to add that I've been enjoying your little "howto's" here and there throughout this thread as they've helped me to understand the various assorted hidden gems I had yet to find ( like the EFM for instance ). Keep up the fabulous work mate! A winner bar none, Macpup-511 truly IS the Beauty of Linux!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

runtt21

#100 Post by runtt21 »

Thank you very much !!

One of the things I am going to do in the next pup is set efm up as best I can. Hopefully It will be more usable by then(i.e. I hope to have it figured out by then :lol: )

runtt21

How to menus

#101 Post by runtt21 »

This is both a How to and a FYI about the menus.When you add a app they update by themselves. The settings are controlled in the settings panel under the menu tab.

There are a few more settings if you click the advanced tab.By default Macpup shows both the apps name and what e calls the generic.Thats why most of the apps show dual names with the generic in ().

The reason I do this is because in the submenus e list categories like it does apps. In the pic both calculate and calculators will "light up " like apps do ,but clicking on them does nothing cause they are not apps.Most of the real apps will have the generic by the app name.

To turn the generic off uncheck generic in the setting panel ,then apply.

Then your menus will look like this .

maxpro4u

#102 Post by maxpro4u »

runtt21 wrote:
What a great puppy! Thanks
Sir, Thank you very much !!! They are getting better.
check out my desktop
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

runtt21

#103 Post by runtt21 »

Very cool Max !! :D

Found this today...... :lol:

http://aresidentofjesmond.blogspot.com/ ... l-evo.html

RetroTechGuy

#104 Post by RetroTechGuy »

runtt21 wrote:Very cool Max !! :D

He says he tested various OS, and they were slow, then says "wouldn't boot". What does _that_ mean? (logically, either it booted, and they were slow, or it didn't boot at all...)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

maxpro4u

#105 Post by maxpro4u »

RetroTechGuy wrote:
runtt21 wrote:Very cool Max !! :D

He says he tested various OS, and they were slow, then says "wouldn't boot". What does _that_ mean? (logically, either it booted, and they were slow, or it didn't boot at all...)
yea, i'm lost also. my evo booted fine and runs great with macpup :D
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

cgt_1991

hi

#106 Post by cgt_1991 »

txemijendrix hello, and check my video settings and is equal to yours, yet rxvt background is not transparent (though it may be incompatible with my hardware), thank you very much for your response. ;)

also wanted to thank for that update runtt21 ITask-ng, now looks great, but when I add "gadcom" and disable it, I get a e17 error, maybe someone should do the same.

also wanted to know if you know the beta 2 release of e17, new applications are very fantastic. (eve browser)

http://blogdrake.net/blog/drakon/enligh ... -increible
(spanish)

thanks and excuse my English with google translator

runtt21

#107 Post by runtt21 »

@cgt_1991 I only used gadcom once and wasn't really happy with it.It's one of those components that isn't quite there yet. Yes I know about the beta 2 ,I also know they have had some problems with it. Yes EVE looks cool but I have some friends over at the pclinuxos forum that had had a lot of problems getting the ewebkit to compile with EFL.So for now I am leaving that alone.

Also if you have a problem with the snapshot window still being in the shot.Open it on a different desktop set 10 sec and change back to the desktop you want the shot of.

then says "wouldn't boot". What does _that_ mean?
I don't really know. I just like the :
So the one I stuck with , that worked best ( ie quickest) was ...........
MACPUP . :lol:

runtt21

how to desktops and bindings

#108 Post by runtt21 »

Tonight's How to is for desktops and bindings....

Open the settings panel and go to screens. Virtual desktops controlls both the number and arrangement of your desktops. Under advanced settings ou also have control over how the desktop switch and how that change looks.

In the settings panel under input you have control over different kinds of bindings.You can set key and mouse bindings as well as edge bindings.By default macpup has the edge bindings turned off cause they are usually set to change desktops and the change usually happens when you don't expect it to like hanging a window off the edge of the screen.

maxpro4u

#109 Post by maxpro4u »

I just tried to do a full install on 1st partition using the frugal install of macpup that is on the 2nd partition but it failed. The universal installer only created 2 files lib and another one (sorry I deleted them already) Puppy 5.1.1 did the install correctly(from a frugal on 2nd). Wonder why???? I formatted and tried several times with same results. :roll: I made a backup of the boot folder,that is why I am able to post this using my macpup frugal install.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

ragaman

#110 Post by ragaman »

Loving the Macpup 511 experience so far. The only problems I encountered were:

1. Places module not working
2. Enlightenment Segv'd Fault error when I activated the composite module then set the "Style" of any shelf into "Invisible". Tried this on my other PC on LiveCd mode, same thing happened. No big deal really.

Otherwise, it's rock solid and easy to fall in love with. Lol.