Macpup 511

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

Favorite menu

#46 Post by runtt21 »

This is the how to for the favorites menu. By default macpup doesn't have anything in the favorites menu cause that for your stuff. Open the settings panel,go to the applications tab and click on Favorite Applications. Then set things up just like the ibar.Pick what you want and set the order you want them and apply.

This will add the favorite applications to the main menu and also when you right click on the desktop.

runtt21

save icon

#47 Post by runtt21 »

How to make a save icon on the ibar. When you run puppy with a pupsave file it will give you a save icon on the desktop so you can save when ever you need to .I use this a lot when I compile stuff and I wanted one for use on the ibar. This is how you make it. First you need some info. Open rox and look in /root/Choices/Rox-filer and open Puppypin as text. Look at the last line above </pinboard>.

I am running a macpupsave file on a usb flash drive and puppys save option is /usr/sbin/save2flash.Yours may be different. Close rox.

Next open the settings panel ,go to the application tab and click on new application. This will open the Desktop entry editor. And this is how I set it up.

If you dont know where the executable is click on the button with the three dots and you will be able to go look for it.

Then switch to the icon tab and give it a icon. Then apply. Then add it to the ibar .It will be in the applications list near the bottom.

This is the way you would add a application or script you made. The .desktop file this makes is in /root/.local/share/applications
Attachments
save.png
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 5643 times
Last edited by runtt21 on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

puppyluvr

#48 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
:mrgreen: Green with envy.. :mrgreen:
Actually, I`m thrilled for you dude, the success of the Macpup(s) has been amazing and well deserved..I, perhaps more than anyone realize and appreciate the time and talent you have put into this.. I am not minimizing Prit and everyone else...But dude, you must be obsessed...
.E-17 can be "frustrating" to build, at best..From the moment you saw E-17 on Puppy, you were hooked.. (Youtube)... 8)
Havnt had a lot of testing time as of late but so far this one has had been superb..
The only incident I can think of was once when setting a window over the top bar, E crashed, but clicking "recover" brought it back up, but reverted several settings, including moving the bar to the bottom and changing some icons!!..Reseting everything has held up thru several reboots now and I believe that the glitch may have been my machine`s onboard video ..
Anyhow, the Gimp functions well so far, I havnt installed a browser, as I always use a shared browser from /mnt /home with all my frugal`s but my Opera 10.61 and FF 3.6 both run fine..

Oh, wait...one more oddity....the pager clicking thru to the desktop...
It has happened a couple of times, and was only fixed by restarting X..
Once again, I attribute it to my i810.. (very glitchy, and I havnt installed Xorg high yet as I always test OOTB at first...)
Still playing with itaskNG, I think I will have to update my vid drivers to get the most out of it.. Now on to Conky... :arrow:
Be back...
Anyhow, great release... 8)
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

joel

#49 Post by joel »

@Runtt
I stumbled across this if you ever are interested in the composite issue. Its only a forum discussion but gives some info about how the composite module works (apparently on top of evas). Im sure once the final (can it be, is this actually happening finally?) version comes out they will have caught the issue. btw if you ever need some help at all with anything e related Runtt i am quite obsessed with it and know it inside and out. a bit of the deeply techincal aspects of it confuse me but still if you ever need some help with anything let me know.
I am not a Mac, not a PC... I am a Puppy. :idea:

runtt21

#50 Post by runtt21 »

Thank you joel , very much. I have always wanted macpup to work with both xorg and (x)vesa. I dont really like giving it features that are xorg only. So I will probably drop it from the next macpup.But Itaskng is fixable.(even though it really isn't broken :lol: )

Puppyluvr this e thing is all your fault. :lol: And look Distrowatch just updated. Cool.... :D
Attachments
day5.jpg
(22.35 KiB) Downloaded 5654 times

Roy

#51 Post by Roy »

Quick report:

I downloaded Opera, & then Firefox from http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/LupuNews/ but neither one would install with the usual method of just clicking on the pet. Finally downloaded Chromium with the Puppy Package Manager and that worked. All of your themes installed and worked by simply downloading them and clicking on the pets. (Very nice themes!)

BTW, does Macpup contain Shinobar's PPOE fix? I don't use that function, but if I'm going to give CDs of Macpup away, I want them to always work.

-Roy

runtt21

#52 Post by runtt21 »

Iron and opera both installed for me (using opera right now) The only strange thing was that after installing opera is said the menu entry was in utility and it wasn't .It was in internet where it is suppose to be .Ill take the .pet apart and look at it later But it is working.

The Macpup-511.sfs is a rebuild of the lupu-511.sfs ,it's not a remaster.All of the apps on the puppy side are exactly the same as lupu's . If lupu doesn't have it ,This macpup doesn't have it either.

runtt21

#53 Post by runtt21 »

I need to comment on something that has happened elsewhere on the forum.This is my build of e17 .I built it for this project,Macpup.I have put a lot of time into this pup and the whole project. I really dont appreciate someone trying to rip the guts out of it. People dont go and dismantle teenpup or tipsy or lighthousepup cause they want something.
Mu,Ttuuxxx & mick01 have all built versions of e before. Someone can get it from them without Jacking with my stuff.Macpup is Macpup.This one is built on lupu.It has all the same stuff as lupu.But it isn't lupu anymore.It's Macpup.Taking some files and links out isn't going to help.I am not saying anything else about this.

runtt21

#54 Post by runtt21 »

Currently test an update for Itask-ng. More info later....

jeffmitch

Macpup 511

#55 Post by jeffmitch »

@ runtt21
Hiya, still persevering here, Okay, this time i ran the live CD, (& just let it run it's course :) it booted to the desktop, everything working, internet connected, no screen blackouts, no flickering, played with it all afternoon, installed Chrome, still no probs, seemed rock solid ..... So i installed to USB Flash Drive, rebooted, perfect ( i thought ) did some stuff, installed Chrome again, changed theme to your "Bling" one, still no screen probs, So i shutdown, the using your button on the Ibar ( to be safe) but the screen went black & just hung there, doing nothing........so i Re-started & up came the welcome screen etc etc etc ..... So nought is saved, i can't make a save file, ( although i thought that installing to a usb flash drive, i may not need one ........ yeah yeah i'm an ijittt ;) So what i need to know is, as this happens with the new lupu ( in progress) but didn't happen with lupu 5.10, nor did it happen with your last version of Macpup e17, on pup 4.3 (i think) ?? ... The comp is obviously waiting some input as to where or wether i wanna make a pupsave, but i just can't see it !!!!
Is it poss for me to somehow make a pupsave, without having to click restart or shutdown ... .... Exiting to Commandline is no better either, ( although i occasionally get a "monitor out of range" message )
P.S. thanks anyway, even if you can't help me outa this one, (from the 3 hours i spent on it this afternoon, it is absolutely fantastic)

bwh1969

Wow

#56 Post by bwh1969 »

Amazing... It more or less looks like my pa's macbook air. I have an eee-pc 1201T with the amd athlon neo processor @ 1360x768 screen. Using the "high" xorg driver with the radeon card that is in this. REALLY sharp. I am wondering how to get that transparent dock two posts up:-) It looks a lot like "docky"

James C

#57 Post by James C »

I did a manual frugal install of Macpup 511 on my main Linux box and no problems at all. :)
Grabbed the new themes and installed Firefox,Arora and VLC.......now time to start tweaking.
Great job. :)

txemijendrix

#58 Post by txemijendrix »

I 've been testing Macpup 511 since it was released. I ran it live with virtualbox, made some installs (Lampp, Joomla, Firefox, Gimp) and rebuilt the iso. Then I did an usb install and I created a 1 Gb save file.
Later I installed flashplayer, customize the desktop (icons, wallpaper, selves, gadgets).
Everything has gone fine.
Now I have added the save2file button and I'm setting up Conky.
I send you a capture running on an Acer Aspire One ZG5.

All I want to say is a BIG thank you for sharing this great piece of software.
Greetings.

Txemi Jendrix
Attachments
pantallazo MacPup 511.jpg
(170.06 KiB) Downloaded 813 times

runtt21

#59 Post by runtt21 »

Thank you very much everyone for all your support. I do appreciate it a lot!! :D

@jeffmitch Yes you should be able to make a save file with 5.10 and set it up for macpup to use.Let me think about it a while before you try it. But first I want to to try something. Boot up the live cd.Don't add anything. Let it run for a few minutes and reboot. See if it will save now.I have seen reports that sometimes lupu wont make a svae file if you add stuff during the first run before rebooting.Try that first ,If not we will do something else.

@bwh1969 you already have a version of it.It is called Itask-ng But yours has reflections that dont really work right .I am fixing that.Read back through the thread I told puppyluvr how to use it. Once you set it up use the save icon before you shutdown. E might dump the settings when X exits.You could change the shelf to be transparent.

@txemijendrix Would you post how you set up Conky? I didn't think that would work.I know rokytnji was trying to do that.

runtt21

#60 Post by runtt21 »

russoodle

Lookin' good at DW..

#61 Post by russoodle »

#3 at DW today....smile, runtt :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

picatrix

#62 Post by picatrix »

Hi runtt21,
first of all compliments for your great job, this version of Macpup is really astonishing even on my Thinkpad R51e!

As I did a frugal install, I just miss a "gadget" for the shelf informing about the pupsave file free space...is there an easy way to do it or must I install conky?

All the best,
PicatriX

jeffmitch

Macpup 511

#63 Post by jeffmitch »

Okay, i followed your suggestion .... ran from live cd, left it for a few mins, shut down ... & it went straight to a black screen ..... tried again, this time with acpi=off (on boot screen it says acpi has been known to cause shut down probs ) it went straight to desktop ( although a little slower, i thought ) & for the first time in over 2 dozen runs, Midori didn't crash on the first launch?? ( it has crashed on every first run up to now, but then worked fine on each subsequent launch) so i left it alone for 2 mins & shutdown ........... to yet another black screen :cry:
So now i want to know, during shutdown ( also if i try to run the x-org config wizard as i get same thing there & same if exit to command line too), what is the screen res & the horizontal / vertical refresh rates that the system drops into during shutdown & whilst setting up a pupsave? maybe it's something that this monitor can't handle ? :roll:
jeff

runtt21

#64 Post by runtt21 »

Good morning , I just got home after working all night.About to get a nap....

@picatrix Yes there is a very easy way to do that on the shelf and I am going to show everyone, But I need to sleep so not right now.Hang on I will get to it

@jeffmitch Yes it is a refresh rate issue that 511 has and I think they have a fix for it coming in 5.2. What you can try is to make a save file with 5.10 but dont add anything to it apps wise. Then load up macpup . Mount the drive and rename the save file Macpupsave-MYSTUFF.2fs .MYSTUFF being what ever you name the file.Copy the Macpup-511.sfs to the flash drive Not into the save file. Then reboot and see if it saves. The thing I dont know is how to see what video driver it uses when running live off the cd.That way you know what to pick when it boot next time.

But now it's nap time.
Attachments
day6.jpg
(21.02 KiB) Downloaded 2890 times

CatDude

#65 Post by CatDude »

Hi
runtt21 wrote: ..............
@txemijendrix Would you post how you set up Conky? I didn't think that would work.I know rokytnji was trying to do that.
Well, i'm not trying to answer for txemijendrix,
but i have managed to get Conky running without a black background.

I installed the following .pets: I then tried to run:

Code: Select all

feh --help
which complained about not finding: libpng.so.3

So i created a symbolic link: /usr/lib/libpng.so.3
pointing to: /lib/libpng12.so.0.42.0
re-running:

feh --help

now came up without complaint.

As i already had a copy of the background image from the A-Special-Macpup2 theme floating around,
i renamed it and put a copy in: /usr/share/backgrounds
i then ran the following command:

feh --bg-center /usr/share/backgrounds/A-Special-Macpup2.png
  • Note:
    I used --bg-center because the image is the same size as my screen 1680x1050
I then ponced about for a while, messing with the conky.conf
and what you see in the attached images is the result of the following settings.

update_interval 3.0
cpu_avg_samples 2
net_avg_samples 2

color0 000000
color1 FFFFFF
color2 BEBEBE
color3 FF0000
color4 0000FF
color5 07F0D7

use_xft yes
xftfont DejaVuSans:size=11

alignment middle_left
gap_x 50
gap_y 160

minimum_size 5 5

background no
default_color white
draw_graph_borders yes

own_window yes
own_window_type desktop
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager  
double_buffer yes
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
stippled_borders 0
border_width 0

use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${color5} ${font DejaVuSans:style=Bold:size=11} $alignc $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine
$color $hr
${font DejaVuSans:size=11}
${color grey}Uptime:$color $uptime
${color grey}Frequency (in MHz):$color $freq
${color grey}Frequency (in GHz):$color $freq_g
${color grey}RAM Usage:$color $mem/$memmax - $memperc% ${color5} ${membar 4}
${color grey}Swap Usage:$color $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${color5} ${swapbar 4}
${color grey}CPU Usage:$color $cpu% ${color5} ${cpubar 4}
${color grey}Processes:$color $processes  ${color grey}Running:$color $running_processes
$hr
${color grey}File systems:
 / $color ${fs_free /}/${fs_size /} ${color5} ${fs_bar 6 /}
${color grey}Networking:
Up:$color ${upspeed eth0} k/s${color grey} - Down:$color ${downspeed eth0} k/s
$hr
${color grey}Name                  PID   CPU%   MEM%
${color lightgrey} ${top name 1} ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1} ${top mem 1}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 2} ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2} ${top mem 2}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 3} ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3} ${top mem 3}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 4} ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4} ${top mem 4}
I also created a script: /root/Startup/start_conky
to autostart conky at each bootup.

#!/bin/sh
#
feh --bg-center /usr/share/backgrounds/A-Special-Macpup2.png
sleep 2
conky
Obviously, if you used a different theme/wallpaper
you would need to extract the background image from the .edj file (or whatever it is called).
I can't recall the command at present, but i'm sure runtt21 can provide details on that.
  • Update:
    • OK, here is how to unpack one of those .edj files

First of all, create a new directory in which to unpack the .edj files,
      i created: /root/unpacker

Next go to: /root/.e/e/themes
      and copy whatever theme you want the wallpaper image from, into your unpacking directory.

Now, in your unpacking directory, open a console/terminal
      and enter a command similar to this:

edje_decc A-Special-Macpup2.edj
      • just use the name of your theme file in place of the A-Special-Macpup2.edj
      Wait until it finishes (the prompt # will show at the bottom of the console/terminal window).
      You should now have a new directory with the same name as the theme you just unpacked,
      and inside of that you will find the wallpaper image.

It looks like they are always called: grill_dark_tiny_pattern.png
      so it would be wise to rename them to that of the theme they come from.

Once you have put a copy somewhere else (for example: /usr/share/backgrounds)
      you can delete the directory that it was in.

Just do that for each theme you have.
You would then need to edit the line in the above script that points to the image file.

The image with-default-dropshadow.png is how things looked without doing anything else.
The image with-dropshadow-module-unloaded.png is how things looked after unloading the Dropshadow module,
by going to: Settings > Settings Panel > Extensions > Modules > Dropshadow > Unload

It may not be the best looking Conky layout going,
but it should be a good enough starting point for anyone to build upon.

Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]