Macpup 511

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
runtt21

#226 Post by runtt21 »

I got it this morning about 30 min after the release But they didn't release a snapshot of e just EFL. I have the current SVN of e and will be compiling it this weekend . We will see what happens.

maxpro4u

#227 Post by maxpro4u »

where is the wallpaper for the calm theme located? I would like to use it on another puppy.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

runtt21

#228 Post by runtt21 »

Another puppy..... Dude....not cool....

You need to install the theme in macpup .Then copy the calm-3.edj file from /root/.e/e/themes to root/working. Then open a terminal in /working and run

edje_decc calm-3.edj

It will complain about pthreads just ignore it, it works just fine. That will unpack the theme into a new directory where you will find the wallpaper. Putting it back together is a bit more involved.But not much.

nooby

#229 Post by nooby »

runtt21, ohh sorry, that was not my intention.

I appreciate very much that you try to help. But I did not realize that going back to JWM brings back the 600 thing.

But if I get you the E17 overlay can bring back 1024 x 768 if I choose Netbook as a theme because then the internal set up allow for what IceWM and Openbook and Lxce already have as default?

Does Netbook settting allow the Netnook screen to be 16:9 and the external screen to be 4:3 ?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

runtt21

#230 Post by runtt21 »

Nooby if your happy with icewm stick with it. I dont know if the netbook profile will effect the resolution .I don't have a netbook to test it on.I know that it will scale back some things to make it run lighter.

runtt21

#231 Post by runtt21 »

The latest snapshot of EFL (eina,eet,ecore,efreet,edje,e-dbus,evas,embryo) have been compiled. They didn't give me any errors or warnings so today I will give the svn build of e a shot.

maxpro4u

#232 Post by maxpro4u »

runtt21 wrote:Another puppy..... Dude....not cool....

You need to install the theme in macpup .Then copy the calm-3.edj file from /root/.e/e/themes to root/working. Then open a terminal in /working and run

edje_decc calm-3.edj

It will complain about pthreads just ignore it, it works just fine. That will unpack the theme into a new directory where you will find the wallpaper. Putting it back together is a bit more involved.But not much.
Worked like a charm 8) That picture is very soothing :)

I just did a full install of 5.2 so I could make sure what I was posting about in another thread was correct :lol:
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

nooby

#233 Post by nooby »

Thanks guys, I tested the Netbook and it looked awful so I got back to nice looking but too steep learning curve E17 and it could suddenly do 1024x768 so it did help, or it was the suggestion me use Rox.

But the bad thing about E17 is that I fail to get a symlink to a music sub dir on the Desktop to open in Rox. It open in the E17 assigned something.

And then it only show a fraction of the music clips available. To osteep learning curve again. Too much that is not familar and imposible to figure out how to use.

If I use icewm is then not Macpup identical to Lupu-511? It does look like that one. So the E17 is a kind of overlay?

I mean which repo pets is added if I am in E17 compared to if I am in IceWM?

What is different from 511 in programs? Maybe Midori updated or what?

I already have a 511 with Firefox so unless there is many many more good programs in Macpup then I see no reason for me to be that choosy?

As I said. Your help is much appreciated I am just trying to find the best distro that work on my machine.

I chose among
Snow Puppy
Fluppy
Puppeee
LightHouse Puppy.
EliteOS Puppy
Lupu-511
Knoppix643
Archiso
Swift
Slabix

maxpro4u

#234 Post by maxpro4u »

nooby-
you sell yourself short.

macpup is 5.1.1 only with a different wm. you can just choose jwm or ice and reboot and then choose enlightenment and reboot again if there are some changes you want to do that is easier for you in icewm. there are some things to learn but just go through the posts slowly and ask more questions :wink:

here is a pic of my latest desktop
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

runtt21

#235 Post by runtt21 »

BIG UPDATE !!!! I have a stable build of e17 with the latest EFL libs!!!! i am going to play with it for the next few days ,if it doesn't blow up on me I will start putting the next macpup together.

maxpro4u

#236 Post by maxpro4u »

runtt21 wrote:BIG UPDATE !!!! I have a stable build of e17 with the latest EFL libs!!!! i am going to play with it for the next few days ,if it doesn't blow up on me I will start putting the next macpup together.
I'll make sure I save a disk to burn 8)
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

runtt21

#237 Post by runtt21 »

Development update. So far so good .I haven't had a single segfault trying everything that would segfault the old .063 build. Even drag and drop moving the icons around on the ibar. I have compiled the extra modules that I want to include. So far they are all working even itask-ng.

The only thing I have found so far is that it wont use animated Icons. I had seen reports of this on the e mailing list but its not really a big deal. I can live without them.....

john9871

#238 Post by john9871 »

Do you have a new Macpup release with the older Tigerpup or Dingo 4.0 Theme? I really like the Mac OS X aqua theme.

A 5.2 Puppy release would be awesome :)

runtt21

#239 Post by runtt21 »

john9871 The next macpup is built on 5.2 . We have spent the last two years now developing our own look and feel. It's nothing like osx and we intend to keep it that way.

`f00

#240 Post by `f00 »

@nooby, the difference is .. Macpup is optimized to take advantage of lots of e17 features and gets more 'bang for the buck' than say xfce4 or most other full-featured desktop environments (that said, it's always up to the user to decide what works best overall for them ). Whoa, profiles can really change the look'n'feel alright.

Good instructions on getting conky up in e17 (thanks Catdude & txemijendrix on p5), funny about bgsetters (lots and they all have favorite niches for me - don't miss the roxpin much at all except when it is expected as part of a startup :| ).

A fine point in conky is the normal/desktop/override option in the rc (override ng in e17 nor e16) .. if you have also wbar (say on the right as a vbar) and it overlaps the conky window, the normal option will allow a focus-shift so conky looks correct (yay sloppy focus :lol:). Doubtless there's also a way to shift the 'other' offset in wbar, but e17 ibar almost makes wbar a personal preference rather than the handy and good-looking gui it is in 'most every other wm.

Kind of miss the dropshadow, maybe a special window class for exceptions would do it or a rule (still exploring). Indeed (u)rxvt, mrxvt and stjerm get the -tr now :D

Image-overlap and twofer-Image

An autohide shelf can occupy the same location as wbar (but it can be a bit weird if they're both 'transparent' bg) .. systray on the shelf can be a bit erratic about showing things (maybe give up on it and use stalonetray instead if it doesn't resolve).

:|, for some reason several icons get monochromed/'blacked' by e17 (mini-almost.any.xpm), but not all. On the other hand, the gray-bg menus in mpbg3 theme are pleasing to my eyes. Yah, I'll eventually get around to the megan theme.. hope you don't mind a lil' 'borrowing' for other wms like this classic (446k screenie). Funny some of the chatter at the box-look forums complains about no as 'themes' (heck it gives you all the tools to build your own and a good variety of starters).

Probably not worth the hassle of doing if/thens all over the place for xfce4 (it messes the menu some even if it's not supposed to, xfce4 that is), BK and others put in a lot just to accomodate it and yet it's still odd in the occasional instance.

.. turn page for more on the new mp52* ..

nooby

#241 Post by nooby »

Thanks f00, I have so many puppies that works now so I have started to learn TCL TinyCoreLinux just to feel intimidated again having no clue even to get anything to work :)

Sorry should not derail this thread. Good luck with next Mac

runtt21

#242 Post by runtt21 »

This is the new Sky theme by Agust running in Macpup 520 alpha. This theme will be available as a .pet later.

Check out the clock....

russoodle

Agust's Sky theme

#243 Post by russoodle »

Cool...i really like how the clock's done, he's so creative! :)
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

runtt21

#244 Post by runtt21 »

Macpup 520 Beta

runtt21

#245 Post by runtt21 »