Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 20:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Macpup 511
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 19 [277 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
runtt21

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec 2010, 16:15    Post subject:  

Agust released his version of the holiday theme today and said mine can go too .So the MP511-Holiday-1.pet is now up on my macpup page. Enjoy Very Happy

www.macpup.org http://macpup.org/runtt21
puppyluvr

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec 2010, 23:58    Post subject:  

Very Happy Nice sig... Cool

Puppy since 2.15CE...
racepres

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec 2010, 10:36    Post subject:  

runtt21 wrote:
Agust released his version of the holiday theme today and said mine can go too .So the MP511-Holiday-1.pet is now up on my macpup page. Enjoy Very Happy

Thanks to Both of y'all!!
RP

Edit: Never Mind!!! It's back.
runtt21

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec 2010, 17:40    Post subject:  

Quote:
Very Happy Nice sig... Cool
That's cause CatDude made it Very Happy

racepres, whats back? Did something leave? Laughing
runtt21

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec 2010, 18:19    Post subject:  

Today A How to on making changes to the cursor.

Go to menu-settings-settings panel then under the look tab go down to mouse cursor. Here you can change the size of the cursor.
curser.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   36.42 KB
 Viewed   1671 Time(s)

curser.jpg

Hawkey

PostPosted: Sun 19 Dec 2010, 20:50    Post subject:    

Hio runtt21 & Co.,

Making it short: I really like Macpup 511 Smile

After I spend some time with Linux Mint - I searched for a leight-weight distribution for my netbook, which still offers me some unique features. I did some experiments with LXDE until I accidentaly found Macpup 511. Although I was sceptical (~ how could such a small distro which just extends a small Puppy be real usefull), I got immediately hooked by it. I often make silly jokes about apples-retarted-OS, wich doesn't allow a right click at the desktop to create something. Well - even though the elements of Macpup resembles the Mac OSX graphics, it got its own style. Thanks Enlightment I can acess everything at the Desktop right away. So it doesn't just look good and runs smooth, but also gives an easy acess to the software Very Happy

I allready installed it as my second OS (~ I'am using a HP 5101 mini) - but unfortunately I can't switch completly from Windows 7, since there are still some things that disturbs me. Hopefully you can give me some advice for these and assist Crying or Very sad

1.) I can't get into the internet !
Well, I can't acess my network drivers. Neither for ethernet nor Wifi. The netbook should contain a "Broadcom 4353" (14e4) as a network controller and a "Marvell Techn. 436c" as a ethernet controller. At first I tried the provided/discribed ones, but unfortunately they don't work. Afterwards I tried to use NDISwrapper to get the windows driver working at Macpup - this doesn't work neither. It allways says that the interface etc. can't be used/loaded. If I reboot into the OS it shows methe ethernet connection with "eth 0" - but if I put a cable into the port, the recognition instantly vanishes and can't be found again...

2.) Some settings can't be saved
I don't know if it really matters - but some settings I ticked won't be changed after a reboot. Currently the only thing I can see is the decision about the bootup starting animation if enlightment. Even though I ticked the box that it doesn't show up again next time - it does (~ the box is unticked again)...

3.) I can't set up a root password etc.
I have to admit that I'am new in this whole Linux stuff. Although I allready tried a few distros, I allways had to set up a root password (~ since there are often more users). I really like the idea of having root acess the whole time, but sometimes I get the feeling that I probably should create a PW just for the case that I will be asked Embarassed
Furthermore I don't use 4 Desktops at a time and would rather like to have some "space" between my toogle windows and the application bar/dock. A seperation like a "|" would probably be enough, but I can't find the option to just add a colored symbol at the X-manager...

Would be great if you could help me Wink

PS: Perhaps you could consider the BURG-Manager instead of GRUB. I like the idea of a graphical polished interface to choose the partion to boot Surprised
bwh1969

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec 2010, 17:23    Post subject: acpi bindings only kind of working?  

I think the acpi bindings partially work and here is why:

If I delete the binding (i.e. AC Adapter Unplugged) and add new binding, then unplug the adapter, it adds back the "AC Adapter Unplugged" but the event does not do the requested action. It does not bring the brightness down like is listed, nor does it execute a script that I made. The script does bring the brightness down if I launch it manually. Even if I set up up, log out and then back in, it does not work. Nor does it work after a puppy save / reboot.

None of the items there work all the way, although the actual events do seem to send a signal... it is just that the signal does not trigger the event I want it to.

If I go into "Key bindings" and assign a key (like ctrl + "down"), my script also works (just to check my script works).
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec 2010, 18:13    Post subject:  

@Hawkey in puppy or macpup you dont just have root access you are root.You're the boss you tell the system what to do. You can change the root password by running this in the terminal:

Code:
passwd root

I can't help you with wifi ,I dont have or use it.Next time you boot up have your Ethernet cable plugged in first then boot up and run the set up wizard.Desktop have been covered in the thread already as well as making a save option .One way of doing what you want with the bottom shelf is to change a setting for the ibar.Right click on an icon ,then high lite gadget ibar and then appearance. BY default it is set to plain.

Change it to inset.

Another thing you could do is making a new shelf ,like in the top right, and moving the pager there.

Last edited by runtt21 on Mon 20 Dec 2010, 19:33; edited 2 times in total
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec 2010, 18:15    Post subject:  

This is cool, I like the
Quote:
but Macpup is a different world
part. Laughing

http://ubuntulook.blogspot.com/2010/12/on-2010-minimalist-lifestyle-and.html
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec 2010, 19:28    Post subject:  

To make changes to the start up boot splash screen open the settings panel. Go to startup under the look tab.

click there to open the startup settings window.

Here you can select different start up splash screens or turn them off if you want a black screen while e17 loads. Each theme has its a copy od the default splash.
runtt21

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 20:12    Post subject:  

Sorry this is a day late but my ISP has been off since Wednesday. Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year all you Macpup users !!!!
ragaman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Dec 2010, 23:26    Post subject:  

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too.
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 18:13    Post subject:  

Not the best video ever but still kind of cool..... Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4tk2TwQ3Yo

Thank you ragaman !!
thelight

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 18:19    Post subject:  

This is the first puppy derivative I've tried that doesn't work on my old clunker. Sad Does it need more RAM than openbox or jwm?

It boots up fine, screen goes blank, mouse pointer appears as X starts, and then a simple message box appears saying "this is very bad" and then words to the effect of SIGILL... enlightenment crashed.

xorgwizard (twice) doesn't help either. I've also tried copying the sfs to the hd manually, now the message box doesn't appear anymore but the screen stays blank.
runtt21

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 18:35    Post subject:  

Do a md5sum check on your download . You need at least 256 Mb ram for this pup. I know people who run it on a lot less but I recommend 256.
Page 11 of 19 [277 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: