PupControl-3.3

Miscellaneous tools
radky

PupControl-3.3

#1 Post by radky »

Recommended OS
Puppy Linux with gtkdialog4 (0.7.21 or greater)

Purpose and Base Features
PupControl Panel is a graphical control panel which permits menu-like access to more than sixty Puppy control functions, and is similar to the companion program, PupApps Launcher, which permits quick access to most Puppy programs (applications). The control panel is a standalone program but will integrate seamlessly with PupApps, PupMenu, pRun and PupShutdown. The tab interface of PupControl sorts all programs and utilities into nine broad categories, and common functions that one may use routinely are available in the lower panel tray. The optimal display for the panel GUI is automatically configured based on the active window manager and current global screen dpi.

Caveats
1 - Buttons for Help resources and Preferences are available in the top-right corner of each page of the main user interface, providing quick access to program configuration options.

2 - When first installed, the PupControl GUI displays applications that are standard in most Puppy versions. Alternate programs may be selected in Set->PupControl Preferences. If a desired application is not listed, you can enter the name of the executable, including the path and switches if needed, then select Save to set your new option. The MyControl module provides the option to add user-selectable favorite applications to the PupControl GUI.

3 - The category icons in the main GUI, and program options in the Preferences drop-down lists, change dynamically as applications are installed and uninstalled. After uninstalling an application, the name of that program remains in the Preferences drop-down list until you select and save a different application in that category. If only one application remains in a drop-down list and you wish to remove it, simply highlight that name with the mouse cursor and click the delete key on your keyboard, then select Save in Preferences.

4 - Quick program access is by Puppy Menu->Utility->PupControl, or by the default Ctrl+Shift+C keyboard shortcut, which is configured for IceWm, JWM, Openbox, Fluxbox, LXDE and LXPanel. If the Xfce window manager is currently active, the hotkey can be set manually in the PupControl Settings tab as follows: Window Manager Settings->Xfce Settings->Keyboard->Application Shortcuts.

5 - PupControl auto-configures many panel options based on the name of the current window manager logged in /etc/windowmanager. Puppy will update this file automatically when starting a new window manager from the command prompt, but some programs that change the window manager in real time may fail to update properly. Consequently, when you change to a different window manager, if PupControl does not display properly, or command functions are inoperative, please exit to the command prompt and type in the appropriate start command such as xwin icewm, or xwin jwm, or xwin lxsession, or xwin startxfce4.

6 - PupControl-3.3 supports screen fonts as large as 150 dpi in standard Puppy derivatives, and up to 120 dpi in Lighthouse Pup, in 6-dpi increments only. Font metrics of the Fluppy and Puppeee derivatives are no longer supported.

Programs
Desktop options and configuration settings may vary depending on the current window manager. PupControl is configured to call the programs appropriate for the active window manager.

Download
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupControl-3.3.pet

PupMates
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html
Last edited by radky on Fri 12 Jul 2019, 16:14, edited 56 times in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

sc0ttman

#2 Post by sc0ttman »

and this one is just awesome..
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

radky

#3 Post by radky »

Version 1.1. See main post.
-Supports Debian, Slackware, T2 and Ubuntu derivatives of Puppy.
-Supports popular window managers such as IceWM, JWM, Fluxbox, Flwm, LXPanel, FBPanel and Openbox.
-Supports popular desktop environments such as DuDe, KDE3, KDE4, LXDE and XFCE.
-Added auto-update: GUI icons and program options change dynamically as applications are installed and uninstalled. (thanks sc0ttman)
-Added support for the Fluppy and Insidious derivatives of Puppy.
-Added descriptive page which lists supported applications.

ICPUG

#4 Post by ICPUG »

Just a quick one to point out that the hyperlink to PupApps in the first post needs updating.

Going to download and try ASAP

radky

#5 Post by radky »

ICPUG wrote:Just a quick one to point out that the hyperlink to PupApps in the first post needs updating.
Now corrected! :)
Thanks ICPUG

radky

#6 Post by radky »

Version 1.2. See main post.
-Enhanced the virtual desktop option in PupControl to support both legacy and 498+ versions of JWM.
-Enhanced the Shutdown Manager to comply with most Puppy derivatives.
-Moved the PupControl uninstall option to Shutdown Manager.
-Added Touchpad subcategory, which displays if flsynclient is installed.
-Removed support for the font metrics of early developmental releases of Fluppy (1-9), but added support for the new font metrics of Fluppy 10, 11...
-The PupControl GUI now supports screen fonts as large as 144 dpi in both Fluppy and Lighthouse Pup, in 6-dpi increments only.

radky

#7 Post by radky »

Version 1.3. See main post.
-Improved the detection of virtual desktop syntax in legacy and 498+ versions of JWM.
-Added support for 01micko's Desktop Setup utility.
-Country and timezone options call shinobar's countrywizard if present, otherwise default to chooselocale and timezone-set.
-Removed the PupControl uninstall option from Shutdown Manager. Please use Puppy Package Manager to uninstall.

radky

#8 Post by radky »

Version 1.4. See main post.
-New MyControl option quickly adds user-selectable favorite applications to the PupControl GUI. (thanks Jim1911)
-Country and Timezone options are combined into a single Country option (Set tab).
-Added option for CPU Frequency Scaling (Set tab).
-The Desktop Setup utility (01micko) is now displayed only if the Rox pinboard is active (Desktop tab).
-Help resources are now quickly accessible on each page of the main GUI (blue help button in top right corner).
-Added improved and consistent display of GUI buttons at all screen resolution.
Last edited by radky on Tue 15 Mar 2011, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Pupcontrol-1.4 is being used in Luci-250 as the setup icon on the desktop.
Works great!

One small item to consider:
The pupcontrol help button in the upper right corner
At first looks like a decoration symbol not a button to select.
All other buttons are labeled, so a label would probably make it clear what it is.

Geoffrey

#10 Post by Geoffrey »

I like it a lot, I won't wear the mouse out now chasing stuff all over the place, this should be in every puppy, not only is puppy meant to be small but ease of use should also be a priority and this does just that, they should erect a brass plaque with your name somewhere :wink:

edit: I'll give you a plaque.
Attachments
brass-plaque.jpg
(13.65 KiB) Downloaded 14996 times

radky

#11 Post by radky »

bigpup wrote:One small item to consider:
The pupcontrol help button in the upper right corner
At first looks like a decoration symbol not a button to select.
All other buttons are labeled, so a label would probably make it clear what it is.
Hi bigpup,

My objective for the small ‘decorative’ button was to provide quick access to help resources through a universally recognized 'help icon’ - without being too distracting when viewed at higher global font sizes. For me, a label attached to the blue help button becomes significantly distracting when viewed at the higher screen dpi settings that are supported by some Puppy derivatives, such a Lighthouse Pup. However, I'll give additional thought to your suggestion, and I’ll continue to look for ways to improve access to help resources. Thanks for your recommendation bigpup. :)
Geoffrey wrote:I like it a lot, I won't wear the mouse out now chasing stuff all over the place
Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the kind words, and the nice plaque. :oops: :D

radky

PupControl-1.4.1

#12 Post by radky »

Version 1.4.1 See main post.
-Improved detection of the jwmthememaker executable, the location of which is version dependent.

tubeguy

#13 Post by tubeguy »

Love PupControl! So much I made an icon and a link on my desktop.
Attachments
pupcontrol64.png
64x64 icon
(7.03 KiB) Downloaded 15017 times
pupcontrol.jpg
as seen on my screen
(47.39 KiB) Downloaded 14782 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

radky

#14 Post by radky »

tubeguy wrote:Love PupControl! So much I made an icon and a link on my desktop.
Hi tubeguy,

I really like your icon - looks great with your desktop background, and makes a very nice alternative to the default icon (control-panel_48.png).

Thanks. :)
Attachments
control-panel_48.png
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 14380 times

lithpr

select which tab is open on launch?

#15 Post by lithpr »

Hi, i'm developing a very minor "puplet" and have been working on cleaning and reordering the menu system. I would like to replace many of the menu entries with simply a link to PupControl, but i would like to be able to select which tab is open by default when PupControl launches (ie Desktop or Manager). Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks so much for PupControl. It is very elegant.

Lithpr

EDIT: wow- PupControl is a 1000 line bash file?!?!? Amazing. Simply Amazing. Digging in now :)

radky

Re: select which tab is open on launch?

#16 Post by radky »

lithpr wrote:Hi, i'm developing a very minor "puplet" and have been working on cleaning and reordering the menu system. I would like to replace many of the menu entries with simply a link to PupControl, but i would like to be able to select which tab is open by default when PupControl launches (ie Desktop or Manager). Is there anyway to do this?
Hi Lithpr,

Please check your PM.

Thanks

radky

#17 Post by radky »

Version 1.5. See main post.
1 - Added Utility tab to the main GUI.
2 - Added more programs to the support database.
3 - Added additional program categories to the Install and Settings tabs.
4 - Added option to enable/disable the ‘Remove CD dialog’ at shutdown.
5 - Added option to enable/disable the screensaver.

radky

#18 Post by radky »

Version 1.5.1. See main post.
-Added support for the Multiple SoundCard Wizard. (thank you playdayz)
-Added support for Standby (Suspend to Ram) in the Shutdown manager (requires acpitool).
-Added the -a option for grep of configuration files (to assure consistent evaluation of rc files).

radky

#19 Post by radky »

Version 1.5.2. See main post.
-Bugfix: error in code of shutdown manager in prior version, now fixed.

radky

#20 Post by radky »

Version 1.5.3. See main post.
-ScreenSaver Control (Utility tab) supports automatic refresh of ON/OFF status (gtkdialog-0.7.21 or greater).
Please see the PupControl help file for more information.