Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 20:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
3G gprs connection report
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
nap44

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 01:49    Post subject:  3G gprs connection report
Subject description: gprs notes

Just downloaded Wary 098 and running from CD.

I'm just testing this latest beta primarily looking at the Internet connections, using a 3G gprs modem stick. I have had difficulty with other Puppy versions, as seen in my other posts.

These are my observations from a user's perspective, not a technical one, so please read in that light.

I have an Acer AspireOne N450 netbook and it runs Puppy versions very well. As it is highly portable, I feel it is paramount to have a portable connection ability. Hence the 3G gprs interest.

So far in Wary 098: (Boots fine)
1. Woof Woof works.
2. My USB modem is detected at /dev/ttyUSB0 port.
3. Click Connect icon on desktop.
4. Follow the dialogue boxes but click Yes and Yes in Pupdial: modem string to get secondary string.
5. In Pupdial modem internet dialer, complete fields in the Account1 box.
6. Tick Stupid mode and then click Connect.

Connected BUT.............

In the next box i.e. Pupdial: WvDial connection log, there are two options.
A. Disconnect or stop trying.
B. Close window but stay on line.

If 'B' is chosen, the box obviously disappears from the task bar.

The problem here is, "How do you then disconnect from the net, if using the 3G stick". The taskbar icon has an option to disconnect from the net, but this does not work with the USB dongle.

Maybe it is fine if there is a wired or wireless connection to a router, but no good with the 3G. The only way I discovered, is to restart X and connect again. I think this is a serious omission.

Perhaps when 'B' is clicked, an additional icon should be shown on the task bar with a wireless antenna to differentiate it from the existing one. Then clicking on the new one would just offer the option to disconnect from the 3G network. That would do it!

And as the gprs option is not yet working, why not leave the selection options as they are, but when you click on the GPRS connect, extract just the code driving the Account1 dialogue box from the Pupdial modem internet dialer box, reword it, and change the fillable fields to:
Account1: change to Setup (these settings provided by your ISP)
Phone number: change to Authentication/Access number
Usename: as is
Password: as is
Wireless APN: as is
Stupid mode: Delete it!

To my thinking, this is a simple and non confusing way of setting up the 3G option. The existing choice, with virtually identical fields is not working and misleading.

Maybe I'm off the beaten track with this one and oversimplifying a complex issue. But I'm sure others doing the tests I have, are encountering the same issues.

Cheers
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: