Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
James C

#16 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
James C wrote: Strange where the Intel line came from,no Intel anything on the box anywhere.Almost like it was trying to download the wrong pet,and it failed at that too.

PET="$1" #ex: xorg_upgrade_intel-2.10.0-w5.pet
"ex" means "example".. it's just a comment :wink: denoted by the hash symbol in bash

James.. I don't think that driver supports your card anyway, so maybe it was supposed to fail? :?
GeForce 3 series:
Ti, Ultra, GTS/Pro

GeForce 256 series:
256, 256 DDR

TNT / TNT2 series:
RIVA TNT2/TNT2 PRO, Aladdin TNT2, RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro, RIVA TNT, RIVA TNT2 Ultra

Riva 128 PCI series:
Riva 128/128ZX

Riva 128 AGP series:
Riva 128 AGP

Vanta series:
Vanta/Vanta LT

Quadro 2 Pro series:
Quadro2 Pro
That's from the thread when I compiled nvidia-76.* for one of the other kernels Barry was using.
Well, it installed and it works.......pretty fair numbers for "glxgears".

17078 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3415.600 FPS

At least it didn't crash and burn.... :lol:

shinobar

Re: NVIDIA driver 265 failed but 260 micko build works

#17 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote:you can try the one in the drivers thread I compiled in wary last week. Works for me. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61763
Thanks micko. It works.
NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTX.

BTW, the secondlife viewer(1 nor 2) fails.
I have failed every version of Wary and Qirky.
Lucid is OK, Puppy-4.3.1(JPqs3) is OK.
I am not sure what library is missing or mismatching.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#18 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:I'm running 098 from a 4gb flash drive.
I have sound but retrovol is still x'ed out so I change volume by using
the remote of my speaker system.
I used the ati pet, then exited to the prompt and entered "aticonfig
--initial" then "xwin" to get back to the desktop.Hardware acceleration
is working.
I'm afraid if I run the alsa sound wizard it will wreck the sound
altogether so I'm sticking with things the way they are...changed my
mind and ran it, got woof woof and still have sound but retrovol is
still x'ed out and doesn't work.
But this computer is new and Wary works *very* well on it :)
Thanks
Billtoo,
Did you use the Video Upgrade Wizard to install the ATI PET? If so, it runs 'aticonfig --initial' after it installs, so you shouldn't have had to do that.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#19 Post by 01micko »

Barry

Something is wrong that I can't pinpoint to do with my acx device and ndiswrapper.

Yesterday in my sneaky testing on my P3 the thing just connected with no fuss.

Today in 098 it just refuses to connect, I even tried tempestuous' command line method. In Sns and network wizard I get no results in the scan. Usually there is about 7 or 8 access ponts detected by that card. I plugged in my usb tp-link dongle (rt73 device) and it connected with no fuss, albeit slowly (it's a distance thing, that's why I prefer the acx with an external antenna.)

As a sanity check I booted back into my sneaky installation and it was straight online with the acx device. So it's weird.. sns doesn't get far enough to catch a log, guess I'll try dmesg or something to look for clues, or look in the kernel log.

Anything change from yesterday that you can put your finger on?

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: NVIDIA driver 265 failed

#20 Post by BarryK »

shinobar wrote:Thanks the Warry-098.

Tried on my PC with NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTX.
First boot, nv or vesa i am not sure, got 1200x1048x24.
Installed nvidia-265 driver from the Video Upgrade Wizard.
Down to console, xorgwizard, chose nvidia, select 1200x1048x24, test.
After 'Test now', the PC freezes with black screen.
It seems that there is something wrong with the 256 nVidia PET -- 01micko also got a black screen. He has created a 260* PET, which is a more recent version that should support all the same cards, that works for him, so I will switch over to that.

01micko announced that on the 096 feedback thread.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#21 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Barry

Something is wrong that I can't pinpoint to do with my acx device and ndiswrapper.

Yesterday in my sneaky testing on my P3 the thing just connected with no fuss.

Today in 098 it just refuses to connect, I even tried tempestuous' command line method. In Sns and network wizard I get no results in the scan. Usually there is about 7 or 8 access ponts detected by that card. I plugged in my usb tp-link dongle (rt73 device) and it connected with no fuss, albeit slowly (it's a distance thing, that's why I prefer the acx with an external antenna.)

As a sanity check I booted back into my sneaky installation and it was straight online with the acx device. So it's weird.. sns doesn't get far enough to catch a log, guess I'll try dmesg or something to look for clues, or look in the kernel log.

Anything change from yesterday that you can put your finger on?

Cheers
097 and 098 are just about identical. The only thing that I can think that might be a factor is the little delay placed into /etc/init.d/10alsa -- that will also delay execution of all the other scripts in /etc/init.d, as they are executed sequentially.

Hmmm, if that is the cause, I will change things so that /etc/init.d/10alsa executes in a separate process that does not delay the others.

shinobar

secondlife viewer

#22 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:BTW, the secondlife viewer(1 nor 2) fails.
I have failed every version of Wary and Qirky.
Lucid is OK, Puppy-4.3.1(JPqs3) is OK.
I am not sure what library is missing or mismatching.
Missing libGLU.so.1.
So, going to install mesa-6.5.2-w5 then the dependency check recommends xorg_base-1.7.6-lupu.
Is it right?
mmm... failed to download mesa-6.5.2-w5... :cry:
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 06:11, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

Hoorah for 3G modems!

I just plugged it in and it worked on my old P3, which is still usb 1.1. Solves my slow network issue for now.

I was able to reproduce James' problem with my slow connection. There is no check if there is a pet there or not, just the call to petget to install whatever driver, if it's not there you get James' error. So, if there's a download fail petget tries to run.

Other than that, when I plugged in the fast connection provided by my huawei-169 video upgrade worked as expected. Same driver as James.

Cheers

BarryK
Puppy Master

#24 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:I was able to reproduce James' problem with my slow connection. There is no check if there is a pet there or not, just the call to petget to install whatever driver, if it's not there you get James' error. So, if there's a download fail petget tries to run.

Other than that, when I plugged in the fast connection provided by my huawei-169 video upgrade worked as expected. Same driver as James.

Cheers
Yeah, but I don't understand why so many reports that installation fails. Slow connection should not make any difference. This line:

rxvt -bg yellow -e wget ${PET_URL}${PET_FOLDER}\$PET

should only finish when the PET has fully downloaded, unless an error causes wget to terminate.

Looks like we need some more rigorous code in here, that checks for complete download and keeps trying until success. Um, but wget defaults to retrying until succeeds, at least it tries a certain number of times.

shinobar

mesa, secondlife viewer

#25 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Missing libGLU.so.1.
So, going to install mesa-6.5.2-w5 then the dependency check recommends xorg_base-1.7.6-lupu.
Is it right?
(Of course) installing xorg_base-1.7.6-lupu broke the desktop.

Tried with new pupsave.
First, installed mesa-6.5.2-w5 from PPM.
PPM says missing dependency with 'xorg_base'. I ignored this.
Next, installed micko's nvidia 260 driver.
Xorgwizard got nvidia driver with 1920x1080x24.

Now, the secondlife viewer2 successfully running :D

... Check dependency says still 'xorg_base' missing... 8)
Attachments
missing.png
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 1317 times

01micko

#26 Post by 01micko »

Yep that should do it, however I don't think James has a slow connection, all I can put it down to is ibiblio refusing the connection and wget exits. That's what it looked like to me, the download didn't even start.

I have rigorous code in quickpet to prevent this, it's really probably a bit excessive. Maybe just a check that the pet exists would be enough and a "try again later" message for failure.

James C

#27 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
Yep that should do it, however I don't think James has a slow connection, all I can put it down to is ibiblio refusing the connection and wget exits. That's what it looked like to me, the download didn't even start.

I have rigorous code in quickpet to prevent this, it's really probably a bit excessive. Maybe just a check that the pet exists would be enough and a "try again later" message for failure.
No slow connection,high speed dsl. No problem with Quickpet for example.....downloaded a ton of packages in Lucid/Luci testing without a problem.

On both machines, video-upgrade wouldn't download but I used the PPM to download and install the pets.
Not actually that big of a deal to me,just don't like things that don't work........................... :lol:

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

come to think about it,, the default for wget is 10 tries (in /etc/wgetrc), in quickpet I use wget -t0 which is the unlimited tries parameter. I guess that would help because when I tested and it failed it did linger for 20 seconds or so, so it may have exhausted the 10 tries.

The way I understand it, wget tries, if it fails waits 1 second, tries again, then waits 2 seconds, tries, and so on up to 10 times.

I'll be doing a minor update to pupRadio in the coming days, there is one channel not working, SCCtv, historical movies, getting 404 error so it's either moved or gone I guess. These channels sure have stood the test of time! :lol:

Sage

#29 Post by Sage »

Following advice (01micko?) re. Opera, d/l Debian-Other from their website, petget offered to open/install - it worked, except closing message tells look under "Utility" - it was correctly listed under "Internet", but the Big Red 'O' was superimposed over 'Pup-Advert-Blocker' and Opera was listed higher up in the sub-menu without its icon.
Some tweaking needed.

pakt

#30 Post by pakt »

Barry, the problem with the savefile/xorgwizard menu extending below the edge of the screen is still present in wary-098.

Your mod in rc.country, “FONTMAP='’ #101112“, doesn’t blank the variable for some strange reason. The contents of /etc/fontmap is still “lat1-12.psfu
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

Sage wrote:Following advice (01micko?) re. Opera, d/l Debian-Other from their website, petget offered to open/install - it worked, except closing message tells look under "Utility" - it was correctly listed under "Internet", but the Big Red 'O' was superimposed over 'Pup-Advert-Blocker' and Opera was listed higher up in the sub-menu without its icon.
Some tweaking needed.
Sage, the lupu pet works, though there is still a weird issue with the 'Pup advert blocker' icon... strange.

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppyli ... -Lucid.pet (you may need to right click and 'save as', sometimes these mirrors do this, including ibiblio :roll: )

It will work, you will find the same on ibiblio and other mirrors.
(01micko?)
'tweren't I! I swear! Biilltoo? Let's blame him! Or Bugman!

If you want it as your default browser then run this code:

Code: Select all

echo '#!/bin/sh' >  /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
then

Code: Select all

echo 'exec opera "$@"' >> /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
I take no responsibility.

Cheers

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

Sorry about that, m - must've been Bill - he's been helping me a lot, too. It's no big deal that the 'O' is misplaced because the entire edifice works well. I found the Opera11alpha page, (strangely with Opera11 in Google!) so will give that a spin ASAP. What with Mint10 and a bunch of releases, I may run out of testing machines - three cheers for KVM.
Thanks for the .pet advice, though. And those CLI instructions are exactly what this guy needs. Struggling to get Eudora to sign up from Menu & desktop icon on Mint despite following the statement entries on the Eudora website - poor man's solution: find exe file location, cd, click it! Seemed to function a little better in Wary, fortunately, with the custom-made .pet! Thanks, fellas. How's the cricket shaping up in S. Oz?!

drblock2

Geany bug

#33 Post by drblock2 »

Upgrade from Wary 0.9.6 with delta files succeeded. I was able to update my old pup-save file and everything worked out of the box on my old home brew desktop:

nVidia NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (no special nVidia driver installed).
ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive.
ASUS A7N8X ACPI BIOS Rev 1022 Beta 005 T1 Mother board

Nicoedit now opens non-utf-8 files as reported in Barry's blog, but some additional code page support would be appreciated. Some day, everything will be in utf-8, but we will still have gazillions of "legacy" documents to deal with.

The geany bug, error message "value too large for defined data type" when trying to open files on remote drives connected via smb/cifs is still present. Geany opened remote files in Wary 090, but I observed the problem again in Wary096.

Billtoo

Re: Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#34 Post by Billtoo »

BarryK wrote:
Billtoo,
Did you use the Video Upgrade Wizard to install the ATI PET? If so, it runs 'aticonfig --initial' after it installs, so you shouldn't have had to do that.
I didn't use the upgrade wizard the first time so:

I booted the live cd with pfix=ram
Clicked on the video upgrade wizard and it downloaded the ati pet.
Rebooted and created the save file.
When it got back to the desktop a popup said to exit to the prompt and
type xwin, I did that and the popup appeared again so I ignored it and
clicked on the Nexuiz directory on the hd and started Nexuiz,it works :)

So the last popup advising to exit to the prompt keeps coming up even
after you've installed the pet and followed the instructions.

Karl Godt

#35 Post by Karl Godt »

upgrading from 094 to 098 via .deltas : OK
liveCD : Boot OK , detected an older warysave 070 on sdb1 HD which I didn't had chosen . Booting to Ram the driveicon sdb1 had its mount ball and didn't want to unmount . Unmounting via ROX /initrd/mnt/dev_save worked !

The Puppy universal installer installed wary-098 flawlessly into its own folder on sdc7 luci-218 full install .

First time I had been using grub4dos : Impression had been very good !
Some smaller demands from my side ( I think shinobar would be the right person to address ) :
Grub4dos didn't offer to which partition the menu.lst and glrdr files should go to, the 10 full installs didn't got a "root (hdx,y)" but a "UUID CDROM" entry and it took me some tries to recognize that grub4dos is treating its MBR-drive as 'hd0' even if it is 'sdc (hd2)' .

I would suggest to add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown :
line 907 : If you haven't already installed Puppy via the universal installer :

I also recocnized the missing `break` between the last two `done` at /sbin/pup_event_frontend_d which I seldom need to recover an accidentially clicked away drive icon.

The frugal install booted fine !
Nothing bad to report until now !
Well done !