full install, all linux partition? (SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
geo_c

full install, all linux partition? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by geo_c »

All the install help seems to center around dual boot/windows. I have installed ubuntustudio on my machine and have been using Frugal Puppy.

I am new to Linux file structure and kernel commands, but not afraid to use a command line when needed (grew up with PC using DOS).

It seems Linux partions "lock out" attempts to modify them. When in ubuntu I can't access the root directory even though I have apparently changed the account priveledges. Using gparted on this same machine I see a lock by each of the ubuntu partions.

My question, how do I erase those partions (and ubuntu with them) quickly and create new partions for puppy. I really like this operating system and I think there is amazing potential in it.

I have been using Puppy as I give private music lessons. A usb connected drive will play a sound or video file instantly as opposed to windows or ubuntu which kind of "cranks up" the processes and takes anywhere from 5-20 seconds to start playing.
Last edited by geo_c on Wed 17 Nov 2010, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

When you boot a puppy cd it gives you about 5 seconds or so
at the boot screen.
Type: "puppy pfix=ram" (no quotes).
The partitions should be unlocked in gparted.
Do not mount them.
To change or remove a swap partition; open console, type:
swapoff /dev/sd.xxx (wherever swap is located)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

geo_c

#3 Post by geo_c »

Thanks a lot!

I think I typed in pfix=ram without the puppy part. Then just didn't load the pupsaves when prompted thinking that would amount to the same thing.

geo_c

5.2 does it run in ext4

#4 Post by geo_c »

I'm formatting a partition in gparted and wondering if Puppy is okay with ext4 or should I stick with ext3?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#5 Post by Béèm »

Problems have been reported on ext4. Don't know if it is OK now.
To be safe, use ext3.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

geo_c

Great OS

#6 Post by geo_c »

thanks, i figured that would be safe.

I've got the full install up and running on a 1.6mhz pentium
with 500mg of ram.

Hardrive is in 3 partitions

sda1 for system 6gig
sda2 swap file 3gig (i know that was probably a waste of space)
sda3 for data 63.7gig

installed Wine and tried installing a multi-track audio software (n-track), one .dll didn't register. Program booted then crashed, uninstalled it.

Video and audio don't seem to stay in sync with gnome player.

Audio files load and play instantly. I'm keeping it for that alone.

I love this OS for the fact that is fast. No matter how fast computers get, the big OS's always keep them running the same speed.

Still have a lot to learn about Linux. But that never stopped me before. The audio/video sync thing and the experience I had with ubuntustudio make me inclined to think there are clock issues that could be addressed in puppy that might make it more multi-media friendly. But I'm just guessing at this point.

fluxit

#7 Post by fluxit »

What types of sync problems have you had with Gnome Mplayer? Does video start out synced with audio and drift over time or is the sync just off at the start? What type of video file or stream are you playing? Have you tried gxine as an alternative? Which puppy are you running?

I've seen many problems with Mplayer. I've had sync problems, overlay problems, fullscreen switching and scaling problems.

I haven't been able to nail down the sync here. It seems to depend on the type of video file, background processes and if Mplayer was the first audio using program that was run. I have a feeling that the audio hardware(driver) makes a difference.

Flash in a background web browser causes problems with both flash and Mplayer. I've got plenty of CPU to go around so that shouldn't be the issue.

All of that having been said, video compatibility has been good(except for DVD,) and I haven't had any crashes of Mplayer.

--
Puppy Quirky 1.3,E6550,2G,ATIX1300,SBLive24bit

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Great OS

#8 Post by Béèm »

geo_c wrote:thanks, i figured that would be safe.

I've got the full install up and running on a 1.6mhz pentium
with 500mg of ram.

Hardrive is in 3 partitions

sda1 for system 6gig
sda2 swap file 3gig (i know that was probably a waste of space)
sda3 for data 63.7gig

installed Wine and tried installing a multi-track audio software (n-track), one .dll didn't register. Program booted then crashed, uninstalled it.

Video and audio don't seem to stay in sync with gnome player.

Audio files load and play instantly. I'm keeping it for that alone.

I love this OS for the fact that is fast. No matter how fast computers get, the big OS's always keep them running the same speed.

Still have a lot to learn about Linux. But that never stopped me before. The audio/video sync thing and the experience I had with ubuntustudio make me inclined to think there are clock issues that could be addressed in puppy that might make it more multi-media friendly. But I'm just guessing at this point.
Nice you got it working.

But don't address a new subject in a thread, but start a new one.
As this initial issue is solved, please edit the subjec of the initial post and add [SOLVED] at he end.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

geo_c

#9 Post by geo_c »

fluxit wrote:What types of sync problems have you had with Gnome Mplayer? Does video start out synced with audio and drift over time or is the sync just off at the start? What type of video file or stream are you playing? Have you tried gxine as an alternative? Which puppy are you running?
Yeah, out of sync and video is very slow and stuttery.

I've tried .avi, .mov, .wma (large and small).

Actually some of the .avi have been fine until about 2-3 minutes in.

Using Puppy 5.11 and haven't tried gxine, but have tried the other bundled video apps without better results.

Also, Opera is not playing youtube anymore (mssg: error try again later), could be the result of installing JRE - java enviornment, which I uninstalled to try and fix.

thanks!

geo_c

Re: Great OS

#10 Post by geo_c »

Béèm wrote:Nice you got it working.

But don't address a new subject in a thread, but start a new one.
As this initial issue is solved, please edit the subjec of the initial post and add [SOLVED] at he end.
Thanks for the instructions, I edited the subject.

Aitch

#11 Post by Aitch »

geo_c

Have you seen Puppy Studio?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60483

It may be of interest?

sneekylinux video of it, I believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36t8KGQp0VE

Aitch :)

geo_c

#12 Post by geo_c »

:!: thanks for the puppystudio tip. I'm going to give this thread a thorough read.

I just did another full, clean install of Puppy and did it dual boot with a clean Ubuntu 10.10 on another partition. I'm downloading puppy apps now.

I have to be honest
I uninstalled Ubuntustudio because I couldn't figure out the Jack system.
I couldn't seem to figure out the software/soundcard connection scheme, what to startup first....I should locate a manual somewhere;

and Yet that Ardour multitrack software seems extremely nice.
I imported some wave files from an N-track project and played around.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is when I start some process via menu icon and absolutely nothing happens. I sit there wondering if something is running in the backround or if it the install is shaky, etc.

I'm also curious as to what "real time" audio actually means in terms of it being an advantage. I use PC's for mixing and mastering rather than capturing tracks, and don't tend to use realtime effects processing and midi sync.

fluxit

#13 Post by fluxit »

Just to cover the bases with Gnome Mplayer, have you changed your video output in GM from x11 to xv(under Edit, Preferences?) This should increase the speed of your video if supported, whether it improves the sync or not.

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

geo_c

You can always ask the Puppy Studio developer, l0wt3ch, or other users

Just post any queries in his thread :wink:

Aitch :)