Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
gungsukma

#16 Post by gungsukma »

"24 pin" doesn't work with TM-U220D
Not sure if I do the right steps. :?

btw, there is a driver to download I found in
https://download.epson-biz.com/modules/ ... =32&pid=42
I tried* it but got pdftops error.

*) by extracting it to get ppd file and filter file, not by running the install.sh

gungsukma

#17 Post by gungsukma »

about "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops failed", I think I should

- install cups_pdftops_filter-1.3.11.pet downloaded from
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=120
- restart cups
/etc/init.d/cups restart

I will try it later

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

gungsukma wrote:*) by extracting it to get ppd file and filter file, not by running the install.sh
You will definitely need the pdftops patch. You may also need the files from the "backend" folder of your tmu-cups download. Some printers will only work correctly if they run through their own backend. When you run CUPS, you should see it as an additional device.

gungsukma

#19 Post by gungsukma »

Description: TM-U220D
Printer Driver: Epson 24-Pin Series, 1.3
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
Device URI: parallel:/dev/usb/lp0

"Epson 24-Pin Series" is working now because I've changed Device URI from "socket://localhost" to "parallel:/dev/usb/lp0" :D

Thank you. :D

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

gungsukma wrote:"Epson 24-Pin Series" is working now because I've changed Device URI from "socket://localhost" to "parallel:/dev/usb/lp0"
I'm glad to hear that you got it working, but that's not the conventional URI for a USB device. When you ran "Find New Printers" (under the Administration tab) was this device not detected? Maybe that's why the TMU package comes with its own backend.

Now that I have seen the TMU driver, I am really surprised that the old Epson dot-matrix driver would work at all.

I did some tests and the URI "parallel:/dev/usb/lp0" is actually a neat trick for installing a USB printer that may not be properly detected by CUPS.

gungsukma

#21 Post by gungsukma »

When you ran "Find New Printers" (under the Administration tab) was this device not detected?
(Yes,) the device was not detected.

List Available Printers

Available Printers
----------------------------------------------------
* Add This Printer PDF (pdf writer)

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

gungsukma wrote: the device was not detected
So it took two tricks to make this work - the 24-pin driver and your URI. :lol:

But I'm still curious. If you also installed the CUPS backend from the TMU package, would CUPS then auto-detect it?

2-e

Printers

#23 Post by 2-e »

Works for Epson Stylus NX420

rcrsn51

Re: Printers

#24 Post by rcrsn51 »

2-e wrote:Works for Epson Stylus NX420
Excellent. Thank you.

Ledster

#25 Post by Ledster »

This printer (epson stylus sx 130) is an mfp using separate cartridges for each colour. It is currently available from PC World for £25!!! Even the ink cartridges are cheap. Unfortunately it is not listed in the cups add printer lists and not in your epson driver list. However it has a driver on the Epson site in DEB and RPM format. please can you tell me what I need to do to use one of these.
I'm using Slacko 531 and trying Dpup 5X10

Happy New Year!

Ledster

Solarpup

#26 Post by Solarpup »

Worked first time with Slacko 5.3.1 and an Epson Stylus SX425W (wireless) connected to computer via USB cable. Thank you! Wireless printing is over-rated anyway :wink:

Method: downloaded epson_inkjet_printer_escpr-1.1.0.pet via the forum link, followed the prompts, then went back to CUPS printing and the printer/driver combination was listed at the top of the options. Clicked "add printer" and all's good.

fuelish

Re: Driver Packages for Some Epson Printers

#27 Post by fuelish »

rcrsn51 wrote:The lastest version of this driver is too big to download through the forum. So get it here instead.
I downloaded the file from the link - Download.exe. I clicked and it ran in Wine but after some stuff about AOL it just kept cycling and never finished. Now what do I do? I'm trying to get Epson XP-300 to work. What versions of puppy is this file for? :?

OOPS I downloaded the wrong file. After downloading the right file my Epson XP-300 is working. :D

for_wov

#28 Post by for_wov »

to Ledster

this is ubuntu way for canon_mf3010. have a try.
#canon_mf3010-64bit_driver_installation
http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 70810.html
#download
tar -zxvf Linux_UFRII_PrinterDriver_V260_uk_EN.tar.gz
cd 64-bit_Driver
cd RPM
#alien should be installed
ln -s /usr/lib /usr/lib64
ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib64
alien -i cndrvcups-common-2.60-1.x86_64.rpm
alien -i cndrvcups-ufr2-uk-2.50-1.x86_64.rpm
cp /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca /usr/lib/cups/filter
cp /usr/lib64/libcanon* /usr/lib
##[/quote]

shinobar

epson_inkjet_printer_escpr-1.2.2

#29 Post by shinobar »

Drivers for EPSON inkjet printers (ESC/P-R).
Build on 431JP2012 from the recent source. Tested on 431JP2012 and on 549JP04 with EP-704A.
epson_inkjet_printer_escpr-1.2.2.pet
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

list of supported printers

The build options for your information:
./configure --host=i486-t2-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --with-cupsppddir=/usr/share/cups/model --disable-shared
(Removed the static libraries.)
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

swiatmar

#30 Post by swiatmar »

Has anyone an idea where can I find a driver for Epson TM-T88 (thermal POS printer) ? Thank you

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, rcrsn51 (and everybody else!)

FYI: I run a Stylus SX 218, which works perfectly with the supplied driver from Epson's download page for my model. Curiously, it installs through CUPS initially only with the generic ESCP/R driver, but will use the correct driver if you then go back into 'Admin' and select 'Modify Printer', and select from the drop-down list as you go through the steps again in CUPS.

The point of my post is to let fellow Epson users know about the 'epson-printer-utility_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_i386.deb' package, which appears to be offered with the majority of the Epson printer drivers. This is basically a Linux version of the well-known Windows 'Epson Status Monitor'; offering ink-levels, head-cleaning, nozzle check, etc. Except instead of being the tiny little thing squashed into a corner of the screen as it appears in Windows, this is almost full-page, and therefore very easy to read.

It also offers the facility to change which printer is being monitored, if you run more than one.

It can be found here, and is a little over 1MB in size. Scroll to the bottom of the page, click on 'Accept', and the page will unscroll a bit further, showing the download. Most of you will want the 'i386.deb' package; this will install by clicking on it, like any .pet package.

For those of you running 64-bit Pups, use the 'amd_64.deb' entry, rather than the 'i386' one.

I've included a screenshot by way of illustration. I downloaded this thing nearly a year ago now, and only just got around to trying it the other night. It runs perfectly in all four of the Pups in my sig! Once installed, you can drag'n'drop it from /usr/bin to the desktop (and 'doll it up' with an icon, if you like!), so you have a launcher within easy access.

Until recently, I've been using a version of 'escputil', which the absent MikeB modified, several years ago, with his own, home-grown GTK+ front-end. I'm offering it here, if anybody else is interested. As far as I recall, you need 'escputil' installed first.

I'm guessing that the Epson 'Status Monitor' printer utility is probably based upon escputil as well.

Apologies if any of this is duplicating earlier postings from previous years.

Hope that helps some of you.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
capture2343.png
Epson's Linux 'Status Monitor'
(34.48 KiB) Downloaded 987 times
escp_gui2.zip
GTK front-end for escputil. Unzip, and run from anywhere.
(504 Bytes) Downloaded 351 times
printer util gtk front-end.jpg
MikeB's GTK front-end...
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 22:44, edited 8 times in total.

davids45

XP-200 - Printer Ink Utility

#32 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike,

Thanks for the new posting of the Epson Utility - it (the .deb version) works 'as advertised' in this TahrPup-6.0.1.

And now I don't have to start up my Windows7 laptop just to check on the ink levels of the wireless-networked XP-200 :D .

If I get the time, I'll see if I can run the utility from my data partition, once I've expanded the .deb package into its own directory, via a dragged sym-link to the desktops in other Pups. Could save me repeatedly installing the .deb in the other Fulls and Frugals on this computer. Or I could try an .sfs for the Frugals?

I wonder how/if this works in 64-bit Pups?

David S.

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Dave!

Um. Far as I know, there should be an 'amd64' entry on that Epson page I gave the link to. Give that a try, and see how you get on with it for the 64-bit Pups.

I've now modified my previous post to include the info for the 'amd_64' version for 64-bit Pups.

I included MikeB's GTK front-end (which he kindly let me have) for 'escputil' for the simple reason that some Puppians may consider that a meg-and-a-bit is too much for a simple printer utility. Mike's is much more economically coded, and, although far plainer in appearance than the Epson version, does precisely the same job.....being based upon the same 'backend'.

(Yes, I will confess.....the Epson version is far prettier to look at; but that's probably where all the extra size has come from!)

But that's the Puppy way, of course; choice.

Hope that helps ya! (If you try the 64-bit version, let me know how it works, willya? Don't currently have a 64-bit Pup I can test it on. Cheers!)

Mike. :D
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

Different Pups

#34 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike,

I quickly tried to run the epson-printer-utility from my data partition (bin file sym-linked to the desktop) to various Pups but nothing worked.

I then began installing the .deb and had luck of both kinds.

Tahr 584, 601 runs
VividPup runs

Tahr-605 failed
Slacko-630 failed
UnicornPup failed
Wheezy failed

I briefly tried the failures from a terminal - Wheezy complained about libc.so.6 being the wrong version.
The others complained about 'child-processes' not being possible and similar messages that I don't understand how to attack, and didn't record :oops: .

I did see the 64-bit version so will try this on some 64-bit frugals.

David S.

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, David.

I'm really not surprised about Tahrpup 6.05 and Slacko 6.3.0. Mick & Phil between them have done a sterling job with both of the Pups, but there's been a major 'sea change' in the way a lot of things work.....and, of course, it's raised a whole new crop of bugs in the process.

UnicornPup & Wheezy.....can't comment; never even looked at them, never mind used them. I've no intentions of looking at UnicornPup or the 'Werewolf' thing in any case; they're both based on later versions of Ubuntu, and those started giving my machine hell a year or so back!

As far as your method of multiple sym-linking is concerned, well; I suspect you may have to accept that certain binaries and apps just aren't amenable to working that way..... Either that, or there's yet more relevant stuff to be sym-linked which you've not yet figured out!

Let me know how you get on with the 64-bit utility.

Mike. :wink: