cbmbasic

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
ariel

cbmbasic

#1 Post by ariel »

project homepage: http://cbmbasic.sourceforge.net/

There was already VICE emulator packaged for puppy in the forum but this lacked. It is the BASIC of the Commodore 64 that can be used with the command line. With this program you can have a weird mix of shell script and BASIC V2.

the package installs the directory /root/my-documents/cbmbasic-info with two simple BASIC examples. To run them open a terminal there and type the name of the script preceded by ./ as a common bash script.

You can edit the files with a text editor as usual. Don't forget to give exec permissions to all of your new BASIC scripts.

SYS 64738 doesn't work though :D

---------------------------------------------
EDIT

In the meantime I've discovered that you cannot exchange variables between BASIC and bash, at least not as I first thought. Is there a way? :roll: But you can save and load a file if you launch the program directly.
Another thing to keep in mind is that you must type BASIC commands with uppercase characters otherwise you get ?SYNTAX ERROR

-added menu entry
-changed colours of the running window
-added and modified examples

tested with puppy 4.2.0 and 5.1.0
Attachments
cbmbasic-screenshot.jpg
(33.29 KiB) Downloaded 2724 times
cbmbasic-1.0.pet
(194.52 KiB) Downloaded 823 times

mini-jaguar

#2 Post by mini-jaguar »

Very limited, the pokes that change the screen colour don't work, and there are no graphics characters.

The only BASIC shortcut which works is ? instead of print.

It's cool they made this, but it would have been better with a BASIC that has proper graphics commands like "plot" than with C64 BASIC, which lacks many commands and simply uses poke to directly access the machine.