ultimatebootpuppycd

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
muggins

ultimatebootpuppycd

#1 Post by muggins »

if you want to combine puppy with a whole bunch of free diagnostic & recovery tools then www.ultimatebootcd.com is the place to start. (i noticed on their forum that another puppian, CypherBit, has followed the same path).

i downloaded the full ultimatebootcd , which also comes with Insert OS, to /root directory.

then i did the following:-

mkdir /mnt/iso
mkdir /ubcd
mount -o loop /root/ubcd.iso /mnt/iso
cp -rf /mnt/iso/* /ubcd

Then i changed to /ubcd directory & removed the insert directory. i also removed everything from /ubcd/isolinux directory EXCEPT memdisk. Then from the puppy iso i copied boot.cat, boot.msg, image.gz, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg & vmlinuz to /ubcd/isolinux. Usr_cram.fs has to be in the main directory of the resultant iso so is copied to /ubcd.

next i just had to amend the main script, which is located in /ubcd/boot/menus/main.scn
(a copy of my amended version is attached below. i had to tar it to attach).

second last step is to create the iso file with :-

mkisofs -N -J -r -o \ubcd.iso -b boot/loader.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 .

(Note the last full-stop in the command above is required).

this will create ubcd.iso in /ubcd directory. Last step is to burn the iso & boot. For my initial playing around i used a CD-RW disc so i could make any adjustments to the iso & re-burn.

you can also add any boot disk .img files to the /ubcd/images directory & modify the bootdsk.scn file appropriately. (i added blueflops.img as a test).

the one thing i must empasise is that most of the tools, that come with ubcd, are command-line, and that they're quite powerful, so used properly they can help you rescue a defunct pc, &.....the reverse!
muggins
Attachments
main.scn.tar
(10 KiB) Downloaded 433 times

klhrevolutionist

so.........

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

So from what you know about this project. Can you tell me if it can help me?
I am making another kde-puppy. But most people don't have the room to load everything in ram. So can this help me get around this problem , to make this iso more available to low powered computers?
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

hi klh,

no the ultimatebootcd wouldn't be much help for your project. it's basically a collection of disk diagnostic/repair tools, boot managers, several dos & linux boot disks, utilities for wiping disks, partitioning etc.

because the full version came with the dsl relative, insert, i thought i'd just replace insert with puppy.

good luck with your kde efforts, but isn't trying to make low ram kde like putting square peg in round hole? i've got 64M ram, type2 hdisk install & 200M swap, & mu's kde addon & usr_more.sfs runs well. but if i had less ram....?

any lower than 64M i think puppy or dsl are the solution, sans window managers like kde. someone recently posted getiing puppy going with 32M ram. actually i just double checked & post is 3 below this one!

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5946

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

ubcd.iso version 3.4 has been released