Dual boot Windows/Puppy Install Documentation.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
JRV

Dual boot Windows/Puppy Install Documentation.

#1 Post by JRV »

Here is a step by step tutorial on how to install a dual boot Windows/Puppy system to a hard drive.

It assumes a single hard drive and Windows XP, and Puppy 2.14. It has not been tested in any other configuration.

My wife, who has never installed an operating system and knows nothing about partitions, file systems, and boot loaders, was able to install Puppy and create a dual boot system from this tutorial.

The file is an Open Office text document inside a RAR file.

4/19/07 - I added another attachment that is the same file as a .txt file readable with abiword.
Attachments
Puppy Install.txt.rar
This is the same file in text format readable with Abiword.
(3 KiB) Downloaded 3303 times
Puppy Install.rar
(12.79 KiB) Downloaded 2478 times
Last edited by JRV on Mon 18 Jun 2007, 12:57, edited 5 times in total.

argman

Dual Boot Win XP/SP2 plus Puppy

#2 Post by argman »

nice topic
I am novice linux user and
I made the same, but I changed the grub by console
I think details can be seen in attachment
Attachments
puppyhard install -dual boot rtf.rar
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 1610 times

dsulmon

File version readable with abiword

#3 Post by dsulmon »

I had been looking for such a tutorial!!! Great!

Is it possible to post a file version which I can open with abiword or any other simple text editor? I run a lean puppy version without open office.

Thanks for the help!

argman

File version readable with abiword

#4 Post by argman »

both files can be read by abi.
I have puppy 2,14 and read the .odt doc, and abi can read .rtf documents

dsulmon

#5 Post by dsulmon »

I can indeed open rtf files with abiword but odt files seem to give him trouble. I'm probably doing something wrong...

ugm6hr

#6 Post by ugm6hr »

Having spent a while trying to work out how to Dual-boot satisfactorily, I've just found this:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwi ... innwin.htm

Very straightforward. Just need to adjust the 2.13 entries to 2.14.

ICPUG

#7 Post by ICPUG »

ugm6hr

Thanks for the link. I have not updated my technique to 2.14 because I have issues with 2.14 and find it hard to recommend to newbies. 2.14 will work but be aware of the following.

Serial mice sometimes do not get detected properly and 2.14 does not allow you to override when first running (2.13 did).

When dual booting with Windows XP it is sometimes necessary to define the PMEDIA and PDEV1 parameters on the kernel line of menu.lst.

ICPUG

ugm6hr

#8 Post by ugm6hr »

ICPUG
Sorry for misleading other newbies. I didn't use your technique, but having seen it, I wish I had! And as you say, my kernal line in menu.lst reads:
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd ro vga=normal
Your site makes the whole thing very straightforward, although because of the (rather more difficult) route I took to getting there, I even understand the "Advanced User Page".

dsulmon

GrafPup

#9 Post by dsulmon »

Hello,
I was succesful with the above technique from ICPUG to run PizzaPup and Puppy 2.15.
I however have problems with GrafPup. Any idea why?

dsulmon

#10 Post by dsulmon »

Never mind.
The problem apparently came from the fact that I had lately created a ext3 partition on my hard drive. As soon as I removed it, all was fine... I have no idea :D

ICPUG

#11 Post by ICPUG »

dsulmon

I hope I am not too late to get some info here. I have no idea why my method breaks down with the presence of ext3 partitions either! I would be interested in knowing how the problem manifests itself, error messages etc. All info is useful to expand my education!

ICPUG

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: File version readable with abiword

#12 Post by Lobster »

dsulmon wrote:I had been looking for such a tutorial!!! Great!

Is it possible to post a file version which I can open with abiword or any other simple text editor? I run a lean puppy version without open office.

Thanks for the help!
maybe someone will add it here or similar
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GrubQuickGuide
here is how to use the wiki
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/UsingThisWiki
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 28 Jan 2010, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Hugh

Dual Boot Win98/Puppy Install Docs

#13 Post by Hugh »

Many thanks to JRV and ICPUG and all who have contributed to this "How to" ...

By making use of your suggestions and documentation I was able to successfully upgrade my version 2.00 to 2.14.

Once I had downloaded the Puppy 2.14 ISO image file and burned a bootable CD, I was then able to boot Puppy from the CD and let it do the automatic upgrade functions that it does, and then test drive the new version. It is quite an improvement on my system (Pentium, 350Mhz, 512 MB RAM) over the performance of 2.00! It is very noticably faster and the display options of XORG are improved greatly too. "Well done!!!" to Barry and the Gang who have done all the intensive developmental work to make this new version.

Then, following shutdown, I booted up again in Win98 to do the file transfers from the CD to my Puppy partition, and made the minor modification to my menu.lst file (easier for me to do these things in Win98 at this point, but I truly appreciate the detailed steps of procedure [to do them from Puppy] and will study them for future trials to learn how), then shut down Win98.

Re-booted again to Puppy, from HDD this time, to see if it'd work - and - voila!! It came up like a "charm" and now I'm converted to 2.14 with all my old files and preferences and bookmarks still intact from 2.00!! Absolutely amazing to say the least!! I'm still a "newbie" who has far to go to get proficient in Puppy but am really enjoying the experiences and crash-free operation for sure!

It was truly ingenious to incorporate the auto-upgrade features into the newer versions! Many thanks once again to all who have made this possible.

With gratitude and appreciation,

Hugh

truehybridx

Re: Dual Boot Win XP/SP2 plus Puppy

#14 Post by truehybridx »

yea im a newb too and i got a dual boot to work between puppy2.15 and vista so its all good, thanks for that tutorial

RickyVaio

#15 Post by RickyVaio »

Used the tutorial to dual boot Win98/Puppy 2.15CE... it was very easy with your tutorial. Thanks!

NinerSevenTango

#16 Post by NinerSevenTango »

When running from CD, unable to unpack the compressed files.

Choosing "Open using the default program", it wants to create a new archive or somelthing.

Saving the program and trying to open it pops up Geany with an empty window "untitled".

Why compress it if it's just a little text file anyway?

Thanks for putting it up, though.

--97T--

JRV

Why is it archived?

#17 Post by JRV »

The forum does not allow posting of filetype .txt.

When you post look in the "Add an Attachment" box.
Click on "Allowed Extensions and Sizes".

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

JRV, send a PM to JohnMurga explaining the problem, with a link to the appropriate post in this thread.

stu

#19 Post by stu »

Cheers JRV, just dual booted puppy with win 2000 and works great :)

faithful

Works Great

#20 Post by faithful »

Thanks for the step by step. It worked great
Faithful