PupClockset-2.7

Miscellaneous tools
radky

PupClockset-2.7

#1 Post by radky »

Recommended OS
Puppy Linux with gtkdialog4 (0.7.21 or greater)

Supported Window Managers and Panels
FBPanel, Fluxbox, IceWM, JWM, LXDE, LXPanel, Tint2, Xfce4
(and Openbox WM, when linked to a supported panel)

Purpose and Base Features
The digital-tray clock, which is a common feature of many window managers and panels, can display time and date in multiple formats based on strftime specifications. PupClockset automatically detects the active window manager or panel, and provides an intuitive interface for changing the clock format and font attributes. Program access is by Puppy Menu->Desktop->(Desktop Settings)->PupClockset, or by a single mouse-click of the tray clock in FBPanel, IceWM, JWM, LXDE, LXPanel and Tint2. Quick links are provided to the Osmo personal organizer, Puppy set-time tool, and Psync.

Caveats
1 - PupClockset supports standard configuration files of the IceWM, JWM and Fluxbox window managers, and the default panel profiles of FBPanel, LXPanel/LXDE and Tint2, but does not support the variance of modified or non-default panel profiles.

2 - Many panels support strftime specifiers for the multi-format display of time and date, but may not uniformly support the Pango Markup Language for the enhancement of font attributes

3 - Most standard releases of the JWM window manager support ClockStyle XML code for changing clock-font attributes (font name, size, weight, style and color). Notable exceptions are JWM 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4.

4 - The Openbox window manager has no built-in panel or clock, but is frequently enhanced by FBPanel, LXPanel, Tint2, or secondary dock plug-ins.

5 -The Fluxbox window manager typically works well with PupClockset, but at times Fluxbox can be a little temperamental when responding to the restart command if multiple additional applications are active on screen. Consequently, you may want to limit the number of background applications when changing the clock.

6 - By default, a mouse-click of the tray clock will open PupClockset, or you can set this option to open minixcal, osmo, pclock, set-time-for-puppy, xcal, clock menu or clock tools.

7 - PupClockset does not support the clocks of the Cinnamon, Enlightenment, KDE or Mate desktop environments.

Download
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupClockset-2.7.pet (gettext by vicmz)

PupMates
http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html
Attachments
PCS-1.png
(24.53 KiB) Downloaded 35278 times
Last edited by radky on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 22:21, edited 43 times in total.

radky

#2 Post by radky »

PupClockset-2.7
- Adjust compatibility with recent Woof-CE modifications of Puppy directory structure (psync time server)

PupClockset-2.6
- Add support for the new binary-detection heuristics of grep >= 2.21. Without this support, some strftime clock formats may fail in Slacko-7 and other modern pups.
- Add support for qsync (time server sync)
- Adjust compatibility with recent changes in Woof-CE

PupClockset-2.5
- Adjust 'Action' options for setting clock commands
- Add support for comma-delimited font nomenclature
- Auto-adjust GUI for long text strings in non-English locales
- Bugfix: The fluxbox window manager did not auto-refresh when changing the clock format
- Note: PupClockset >=2.5 supports clock font attributes (color, style, weight) in legacy JWM (<2.3.2) and modern JWM (>= 2.3.5)

PupClockset-2.4.2
- As of JWM 2.3.5 (released 2016-03-26), the default Puppy window manager once again supports the Clockstyle XML tag which enables changing the clock color and font attributes independent of global tray settings.
- This release of PupClockset (2.4.2) automatically enables/disables GUI options for Clockstyle based on the running version of JWM - including legacy, transitional and modern releases.

PupClockset-2.4.1
- Adjust compatibility with recent changes in Woof-CE.
- Note: JWM vgit >=1169 and standard versions >= 2.3.2 require PupClockset >= 2.4.

PupClockset-2.4
- Added user-choice of the command executed by a mouse-click of the tray clock. This option is applicable to JWM, ICEWM, FbPanel and LxPanel.
- Changed JWM execution of "minixcal" to "exec minixcal" (required for JWM vgit >=1092 and standard versions >= 2.3.0).
- Effective 2015-09-13, the JWM window manager no longer supports ClockStyle XML code for changing clock-font attributes (font name, size, weight, style and color). Consequently, the font-attribute options are removed from PupClockset for JWM vgit >=1169 and standard versions >= 2.3.2.

Version 2.3.1 See main post.
- Bugfix: Visualization of frame font with dark GTK themes.

Version 2.3 See main post.
- Internationalized (gettext by vicmz)
- Added support for HW-Clock.

Version 2.2.1 See main post.
- Improved support for the lxpanel tray clock.
- Added support for lxpanelx in LxPup-by-SFS. (thanks peebee)
- Added internationalized gettext version. (thanks vicmz)

Version 2.2 See main post.
- Added GUI support for the 96-dpi font metrics of Woof-built Puppies effective 2013-03-26.

Version 2.1 See main post.
- Added the gtkdialog font-color selector for FBPanel, JWM, LXPanel/LXDE, Tint2 and XFCE4 (and removed the yad and xdialog color selectors).
- Enhanced support for LXPanel/LXDE font-attributes (size, weight and color). Note: the font-size option requires lxpanel 0.5.6 or greater.
- Bugfix: auto-synchronize the clock format and font attributes when switching between the LXDE-LXPanel options in Lighthouse64.

Version 2.0 See main post.
- Requires gtkdialog4 (0.7.21 or greater).
- New, intuitive interface which displays tab options unique to the current (active) window manager or panel.
- Significantly faster update of the clock display.
- Enhanced strftime tooltip help.
- With each launch of PupClockset, the strftime options of the first tab are shown with the date and time of the current locale.
- Added minixcal (if installed) as an optional mouse-click command for the tray clocks of IceWM, FBPanel, JWM, LXPanel and Tint2.
- Added full support for the tray clock of Xfce4.
- Enhanced support for LXPanel and LXDE. Note: support is not provided for LXPanelx (alpha-status fork of LXPanel).
- Recent releases of Fatdog64 are supported (version 620 or greater).
- Bugfix: faulty parsing of font list (fc-list) in Slacko.

Version 1.9.2 See main post.
-Bugfix: Nonfunctioning Xdialog font-color selector in JWM and Fbpanel. (thanks Jim1911)
-This fix is for Puppy derivatives which do not support Yad, but do support the limited Xdialog color selector (e.g. Fatdog64).

Version 1.9.1 See main post.
-Enhanced integration with 64-bit Puppy derivatives.

Version 1.9 See main post.
-Added full support for changing the font name, size, weight and style of the Fluxbox tray clock.
-Added option to edit/customize the strftime format of the Fluxbox and Lxpanel tray clocks.

Version 1.8 See main post.
-Added full support for changing the font name, size, weight and style of the IceWM tray clock.
-Added option to edit/customize the strftime format of the IceWm tray clock.
-Enhanced detection of non-standard Tint2 configuration files.

Version 1.7 See main post.
-Added full support for changing font attributes of the JWM tray clock. (thanks Ulrich)
-Added option to edit/customize the strftime format of the Fbpanel clock. (thanks Alex-atian)

Version 1.6.3 See main post.
- Bugfix: set 777 permissions in /tmp folder of PupClockset pet. (thanks rcrsn51).

Version 1.6.2 See main post.
- Tint2 panel clock: Improved detection of variant configurations in the tint2.rc file (e.g., RexBang and Guy Pup derivatives).

Version 1.6.1 See main post.
- Added support for new LXDE configuration profile of Lighthouse-64 512.

Version 1.6 See main post.
- Enhanced support for the selection and display of timezones in the Tint2 panel clock.
- Added automatic recovery for aborted sessions of the Xdialog color selector.

Version 1.5.5 See main post.
- The Yad and Zenity font-color selectors will now recall Hex color values from the prior session.

Version 1.5.4 See main post.
- When first installed, PupClockset now autodetects current 64-bit Puppy derivatives. This will assure
the correct version of the rgb2hex utility is installed for the Xdialog font-color selector. Thank you Billtoo.

Version 1.5.3 See main post.
- Added support for LXPanel in 64-bit derivatives (Fatdog64 and Lighthouse64). Thank you tazoc.
- Added support for the Yad and Zenity font-color selectors. Support continues for the limited Xdialog color selector.

Version 1.5. See main post.
- Added full support for the Tint2 panel clock.
- Improved HTML code in Help file.

Version 1.4. See main post.
- Removed nonessential user-font compatibility code.
- Enhanced launch wrapper to allow automatic recovery from aborted PupClockset sessions.

Version 1.3.1. See main post.
-Improved detection of unsupported clocks.

Version 1.3. See main post.
-Added single-instance launch wrapper.
-Added support for screen fonts up to 144 dpi, in 6-dpi increments only.
-Added improved and consistent display of GUI buttons at all screen resolutions.
-Improved detection of the active window manager in Lighthouse Pup.
-Infobox replaces msgbox in most Xdialog messages.

Version 1.2. See main post.
-Added support for quick access to PupClockset by a single-click of the tray clock in IceWM, JWM, FBPanel and LXPanel.
-Added quick GUI access to the Osmo personal organizer, Puppy set-time tool, and Psync.
-Moved the PupClockset menu entry from Utility to Desktop.

Version 1.1. See main post.
-Added faster, more efficient updating of the clock format in IceWM, Fluxbox, and FBPanel.
-Changing the clock format is now fully automated for all supported window managers and panels.
-Added support for the Pango Markup Language in FBPanel, with enhanced font attributes.
Last edited by radky on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 22:22, edited 42 times in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

jemimah

#3 Post by jemimah »

Nice job. I made an icewm-only version of this to put into Puppeee and Fluppy. Thanks! This solves an annoying problem.

radky

#4 Post by radky »

Nice job. I made an icewm-only version of this to put into Puppeee and Fluppy. Thanks! This solves an annoying problem.
Thank you jemimah.

Bert

#5 Post by Bert »

radky, thank you very much for this pet!

I am sure many users will be grateful.
I just tested it and it works as promised 8)

Jasper

#6 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Very useful. Just installed in Lucid Puppy 5.1 and Luci-236.

Thank you.

My regards

yarddog

#7 Post by yarddog »

Great job on PupClockset-1.0

this takes care of constant hassle of changing 24hr clock to 12hr clock which I prefer. I had enough of the so called military time many years ago in service of my uncle (sam)

regards
yarddog

radky

#8 Post by radky »

Bert, Sir Jasper, yarddog

Thanks for the kind words. A slight update will be available soon that adds support for kirk's Fatdog64.

Edit: After a closer look, it seems Fatdog64 uses a modified version of LXPanel which PupClockset does not support.
Last edited by radky on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

Jim1911

#9 Post by Jim1911 »

radky wrote:A slight update will be available soon that adds support for kirk's Fatdog64.
Great!!
Thanks,
Jim

radky

#10 Post by radky »

In response to recent interest expressed on the Lucid thread, a new version of PupClockset (v. 1.1) will be uploaded in a day or so. It will feature several enhancements, including implementation of the Pango Markup Language in FBPanel, allowing one to easily change font attributes of the panel clock.

Thanks

radky

#11 Post by radky »

PupClockset-1.1 is now available. Please read the first two posts for more information.

Thanks

bodbozzle

#12 Post by bodbozzle »

Version 1 on Puppeee 1 (431x) changed the IceWM menu,
scrolling works only with pressed mouse button and most of the (mini)-icons disappeared.
Attachments
menu.png
icewm menu
(59.45 KiB) Downloaded 29777 times

radky

#13 Post by radky »

bodbozzle wrote:Version 1 on Puppeee 1 (431x) changed the IceWM menu,
scrolling works only with pressed mouse button and most of the (mini)-icons disappeared.
bodbozzle,

When PupClockset changes the clock format, the last command is the one which restarts the current window manager or active panel. This command is the same one used by other programs that must restart the window manager. In my testing, I have not experienced a problem with disappearing icons, but I have noticed that some window managers can be temperamental when responding to the restart command if multiple other programs are currently active on screen. Unfortunately, I don’t have an EeePc for testing Puppeee, but you might post your question on the Puppeee forum thread. I’m sure Jemimah will be happy to address your problem.

Thanks for the report.

bodbozzle

#14 Post by bodbozzle »

Thanks radky,
- and for the app.
Not really a big problem at all, and jemimah seems to keep a special version for puppeee/ fluppy.

radky

#15 Post by radky »

Version 1.3. See main post.
-Added single-instance launch wrapper.
-Added support for screen fonts up to 144 dpi, in 6-dpi increments only.
-Added improved and consistent display of GUI buttons at all screen resolutions.
-Improved detection of the active window manager in Lighthouse Pup.
-Infobox replaces msgbox in most Xdialog messages.

radky

#16 Post by radky »

Version 1.3.1. See main post.
-Improved detection of unsupported clocks.

vovchik

gtk style change

#17 Post by vovchik »

Dear radky,

The prog is very nice except for one little thing: you change the gtk theme on the fly - which I find pretty ugly, unnecessary and, most importantly, unacceptable for new users since the restore does not work properly if you exit via the window manager's (icewm) close button - it leaves the wrong theme and font in the gtkrc file. I noted this "feature" in the last version but just commented out the "if" lines that did that. I just did that again after installing the new version. Newbie users will not understand what happend to their theme settings after running the program and will not know the niceties of gtk widgets and their settings files. Can't you get rid of that theme-changing business?

With kind regards,
vovchik

radky

Re: gtk style change

#18 Post by radky »

vovchik wrote:The prog is very nice except for one little thing: you change the gtk theme on the fly - which I find pretty ugly, unnecessary and, most importantly, unacceptable for new users since the restore does not work properly if you exit via the window manager's (icewm) close button - it leaves the wrong theme and font in the gtkrc file. I noted this "feature" in the last version but just commented out the "if" lines that did that. I just did that again after installing the new version. Newbie users will not understand what happend to their theme settings after running the program and will not know the niceties of gtk widgets and their settings files. Can't you get rid of that theme-changing business?
Dear vovchik,

I have tested PupClockset in most derivatives of Puppy 4 and 5, but not in older derivatives of Puppy 2 or 3. Concerning the code in question, PupClockset-1.3.1 checks for the existence of $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 and, if absent, will create a standard gtkrc-2.0 file from PupClockset's "gtkrc-2.0-restore file" - which includes the basic Gradient-grey gtk theme. This code is "not" applied unless the native $HOME/.gtkrc-2.0 file is absent or if the reference to the user “font_name

vovchik

gtk theme

#19 Post by vovchik »

Dear radky,

Thanks for taking up the little problem. In my case, when exiting via window close (Lucid 520), I lost a number of gtk vars, which then had an effect on my icon theme and on all QT4 progs. Recent versions of QT4, when operating with the GTK engine, examine .gtkrc-2.0 for the theme/icon variables. If not found, Clearview or something like that is used. This is mine:

Code: Select all

include "/usr/share/themes/MacOS-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
gtk-theme-name="MacOS-X"
gtk-icon-theme-name="Mac4Lin_Icons_v1.0"
gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 13"
gtk-toolbar-style=2
I keep most other GTK settings in .gtkrc-2.0.mine, fortunately, but QT4 stubbornly refuses to read that file, so I need that info in .gtkrc-2.0. I remember that Zigbert once did something similar with his stopwatch script and I also, for a bit, lost my theme and other settings.

Apart from this gtk thing, the clock setting part is brilliant and saves people from examining man pages, so thanks.

With kind regards,
vovchik

radky

#20 Post by radky »

Version 1.4. See main post.
1 - Removed nonessential user-font compatibility code. (thank you vovchik)
2 - Enhanced launch wrapper to allow automatic recovery from aborted PupClockset sessions.