Needed: ophcrack as a puppy pet package

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
Monson

Needed: ophcrack as a puppy pet package

#1 Post by Monson »

I have searched the forums but didn't find the help I was looking for.
All found solutions here and found via google expect a consistant and accessable Windows XP, which I do not have.

My NTFS partition went inconsistent, as my laptop shut down unexpectedly on a hot summer day two weeks ago to prevent damage to the system.

Trying to boot Windows XP ends up with BSOD "umountable boot volume".

All custom linux editions (Boot-CDs) I tried failed, because all are unable to mount the corrupted NTFS partition.
The ophcrack-CD also fails due to same reason, can't mount.

Only Puppy 4.21+ does that job with the internal, builtin kernel driver and mounts it read-only.

The data is still there, but I can't save all of it due to special letters in filenames on the volume are unretrievable (Multibyte error of some sort).

Common failure message for the ntfs-3g driver:

Code: Select all

ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap:  input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent...[rest was left out for now]
The drive itself works fine with different puppy versions in subfolders and other linux distros on a large linux partition.

So I need the ophcrack program binaries or even better an ophcrack puppy pet, with which I can download the hash tables to a predefinable external path and the ophcrack software does the rest of hacking.

So even 16gb of hash tables will be no problem if they can be downloaded to a predefinable external path.

Why do I need ophcrack?

I tried to get into win XP's restore console when booting up the original install CD, but after selecting the partition to use (1: c:\windows), I get asked for an administrator password I had never set up at all, neither my admin passwords work nor just hitting the enter key.

Ophcrack must find the unknown administrator password for me, that's all. Then I could run chkdsk from the rescue console.

And no, I don't have a second XP installation on another PC where I could just hook up the drive and get it checked there.

Help is needed urgently.

If someone already had the same problem and had made a puppy boot cd of his own with ophcrack on it, a link to the download of the iso file would be a good solution.
[b]DE[/b]:Wer nicht wa:hlt, hat nichts zu melden/maulen. [b]EN[/b]:Those not voting have nothing to say/moan about.
Puppy 4.21; CD2HDD; AMD64 & X86. Slow: Laptop x86-PI@133MHz-64mb RAM (modded Puppy); Fast:Laptop AMD64X2@2.2GHz-4gb RAM.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

hmm from memory does not the repair option include just giving you a command prompt ...ie it does not try and log into your install. Also how would it retrieve the password if the partition is corrupted?

Finally if you never set a password then the password would be blank..ie don't type anything. Perhaps corruption is the problem and cracking would not help in that case.

Double check on the net for something that boots to give you chkdsk.... hirens perhaps.

Not helpful now but making a usboot bootable windows is a great recovery tool.

mike

Barkin

Re: Needed: ophcrack as a puppy pet package

#3 Post by Barkin »

Why attempt to crack the XP password with ophcrack when you can reset it via puppy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-amqYhnvoQ

Or via Hiren's boot CD ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TT4t4Sw9pk

However it looks like you have a corrupted partition, in which case look at Testdisk to salvage the data via puppy.

Monson

#4 Post by Monson »

Please reread the original post, I already pointed out that this is a special case. I'm afraid your post is not helpful at all.
mikeb wrote:hmm from memory does not the repair option include just giving you a command prompt ...ie it does not try and log into your install.
Yes, but that tool asks for the admin password I had never set up at all.

Please also note that the asked admin password is NOT the admin user account in win XP, the admin user password in XP is well known and won't be accepted as admin password. During install of win XP I was never asked to set up an admin password, only asked to set up an admin user account password for XP.
And that one doesn't work for the system admin password being asked for and a blank one (just pressing enter) also doesn't work.
mikeb wrote: Also how would it retrieve the password if the partition is corrupted?

Finally if you never set a password then the password would be blank..ie don't type anything. Perhaps corruption is the problem and cracking would not help in that case.

Double check on the net for something that boots to give you chkdsk.... hirens perhaps.

Not helpful now but making a usboot bootable windows is a great recovery tool.
See above and the original post.

I intend to install a safe winxp on another machine as soon as possible to have a solution next time, but for now it's too late for solving this problem. I don't have a second machine at this time.
[b]DE[/b]:Wer nicht wa:hlt, hat nichts zu melden/maulen. [b]EN[/b]:Those not voting have nothing to say/moan about.
Puppy 4.21; CD2HDD; AMD64 & X86. Slow: Laptop x86-PI@133MHz-64mb RAM (modded Puppy); Fast:Laptop AMD64X2@2.2GHz-4gb RAM.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

well I have never had to input a password to use the windows disk to run chkdsk.

But if you insist that you need to crack the password from windows on a corrupt disk then I wish you good luck.

And yes i can read

mike

Monson

Re: Needed: ophcrack as a puppy pet package

#6 Post by Monson »

Please reread the original post, I already pointed out that this is a special case.
Barkin wrote:Why attempt to crack the XP password with ophcrack when you can reset it via puppy ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-amqYhnvoQ
Can't view the video due to some kind of flash problems, I will look into it as soon as my computer is back up and running again.
Barkin wrote: Or via Hiren's boot CD ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TT4t4Sw9pk

However it looks like you have a corrupted partition, in which case look at Testdisk to salvage the data via puppy.
Hirens CD/USB doesn't work, can't mount the corrupted NTFS partition!!!!

Why on earth do some people make suggestions I don't need but not read the original post thorougly enough to understand, that in this special case all I want to do is to mount the partition in Puppy and getting ophcrack to work in this special case within puppy?

I need to retrieve the special ADMIN password to make a regular CHKDSK from win XP's rescue console and the only linux distro I know about that can handle the corrupted NTFS file system is as up to now puppy linux distro, all other linux distros abort mounting with the mentioned NTFS error.

And I want to rescue not only the data on the partition but also the complex installation of XP, Testdisk won't be of any use to me for that special purpose.

As I already wrote in my original post, I have searched the forums already and haven't found any ophcrack.pet package, not even as SFS.

I just need ophcrack as PET or SFS or compatible binary to run on Puppy 4.21 or up to crack the never installed XP admin password AND NOT the regular XP windows account password, which is well known.
Last edited by Monson on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

Monson

#7 Post by Monson »

mikeb wrote: But if you insist that you need to crack the password from windows on a corrupt disk then I wish you good luck.

And yes i can read

mike
I don't want to upset you, but I never wrote anything about cracking the password FROM WINDOWS ON A CORRUPT DISK. Please REREAD!!!

I'm talking about cracking the never installed admin password on a successfully read-only mounted corrupt NTFS partition from within puppy linux.

All other (linux) boot-and-rescue-CDs are unable to successfully mount the corrupted NTFS-partition, so I have to do the cracking from within PUPPY!!!!

Is that somewhat more clear now?

After cracking the admin password WITHIN PUPPY LINUX successfully, I can then run CHKDSK from the rescue console WITHIN WINDOWS SETUP DISK and repair the partition. I want to continue to use that partition and not have to reinstall windows.

If anybody has the binaries and libs of ophcrack running somewhere on linux and they are compatible to Puppy 4.21 and up, I'd also take the binaries and libs and copy them to my puppy install as a desperate solution, if a PET or SFS is unavailable.

Off topic:
Ah, yes, and my other linux distros are somewhat outdated and require a large system exchange, so updating them will be more effort and take more time to complete and therefore installing ophcrack there will be a task I will do next time when I update those distros.

Keef

#8 Post by Keef »

muggins

#9 Post by muggins »

Maybe you could try Q5sys's AttackPup which apparently has Ophcrack.

Les Kerf

#10 Post by Les Kerf »