Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Aitch

#91 Post by Aitch »

noryb009

Quick report on puppylinux525 exe:

I am running XP, had a previous win32/421.exe which I un-installed [more anon]

d/l'd and ran the 525 installer, and NADA!

There was a folder but no boot page/grub?

So, I re-installed 421.exe, as I couldn't figure it out, and lo and behold , I get a choice between 421 and 525/525 no pupsave

Great.....went through the setup steps, downloaded ff/xorghigh....looking good....go for reboot

asked to save, yes.....where....C:'s a bit full so D: yes, ext3, 1gb....great

reboot

no pupsave recognised

did another saved to C: [(FAT32)... realise now it was placed inside the 525 folder] and that one worked....
so with a bit of fiddling, I moved the original pupsave renamed to the 525 folder on C:, and its working

puzzled about the pupsave as I know people are using other drives including USB flash on a 'standard frugal install with grub'?

also, in hindsight, it appears the grubloader bit wasn't added to my boot.ini file, I think, with the 525.exe originally

now I just need to reduce the 30 second wait..... :wink:

HTH

not sure that's a proper fix, but it's working

Aitch :)

noryb009

#92 Post by noryb009 »

d/l'd and ran the 525 installer, and NADA!

There was a folder but no boot page/grub?
Because of you already having GRUB installed, it may have picked that up. (if C:\boot\grub\grub.exe or C:\grldr exists, it doesn't install grub). Was the 421.exe from this installer also?
did another saved to C: [(FAT32)... realise now it was placed inside the 525 folder] and that one worked....
so with a bit of fiddling, I moved the original pupsave renamed to the 525 folder on C:, and its working
Not tested, but try: edit menu.lst and change psubdir="Puppy-Linux-525" to psubdir="FolderInDDriveButNotInCDrive" then create the folder in the D drive.
now I just need to reduce the 30 second wait.....
Where is the timeout? Windows or GRUB?

Windows:
open /mnt/sda1/boot.ini and change timeout=30 to timeout=5
(or add a line "timeout=5" if you don't see one)

Linux: In /mnt/sda1/menu.lst, change timeout to 5[/quote]

noryb009

#93 Post by noryb009 »

Puppy Linux 528 pre-compiled: http://www.mediafire.com/?58m107bbkob3c7g

Mirror if first link is down.

Also added to first post.

charbaby66

awesome!

#94 Post by charbaby66 »

I can't thank you enough.. now I can easily puppify my Windows-using
friends!!

I chose the 528 exe and it worked flawlessly with XP 32bit on an IBM T41
1G ram, 60G hd Radeon 7500 both without pupsave, and with my 528 pupsave copied from usb or choosing the newly created one made.

I love the splash screen, as I usually do my own GRUB install I have never
seen this, not having used a Lin n Win install before. Like the boot choice
of savefile or pfix=ram done for me.

Since installing via XP felt like cheating I am going to do the Linux install soon, thanks for the helpful pointers and clarifications posted.

The only thing for me is that it installs to /Puppy-Linux-528 whereas I generally install to /puppy528. Not sure if this newb picked this up as
the way many others do it, or just if I am too lazy to add the extra caps and dashes etc.

If there are others like me, I can see how one could think files are lost or not installed because they are not where you "think" they are. I expect this only inconveniences those of us with some Puppy/Linux experience -
I bet I am not the only one who has spent time chasing code that points to the wrong place! -so simple to fix, hard to see! Windows users probably
like it as is.

I am going to see if I can edit a bit w/o breaking anything in this install to get it back to my "defaults" not worried about the Puppy side but I am rusty in XP now and I shutter to think I need to useredit to change paths
for the uninstall, I LOL to think that I am more at ease in Puppy now! Graduated to advanced Newb :)

528 is my #1 fav pup, your tool makes it A1!!
Thanks again!!!

adXok

#95 Post by adXok »

The installer runs fine on Windows 7 ultimate x64 but...

· after the reboot it hags after the audio signal: barking dog (two times)
· the monitor enters Power Saving Mood
· seems like the PC falls asleep (!?)
· the PC is a new ASUS machine with i7 and 8GB RAM, 2 video cards Ati Radeon in Crss-Fire mode (suppose they provoke the hanging!)

:)

Later i will test it at home on my Windows XP Pro x32 with a built-in video (think it was Nvidia 7100/i630 or something)

noryb009

#96 Post by noryb009 »

Sorry for not replying sooner, I was busy.
I love the splash screen
You can thank teasiu for that.
The only thing for me is that it installs to /Puppy-Linux-528 whereas I generally install to /puppy528. Not sure if this newb picked this up as
the way many others do it, or just if I am too lazy to add the extra caps and dashes etc.
It's just personal preference. I like to keep things well labeled and readable, so I use the long name.

adXok: Have you tried puppy 528 before on that computer? That sounds like it's from Puppy, not the installer.

adXok

#97 Post by adXok »

Nope, testing Puppy with Windows Installer v1.1 for the first time, never have tried Puppy whatever booting way on that system (no CD, nor USB-flash drive). Just wanted to install it.

At home WInXP Pro x32 bit the same installer runs fine and puppy loads fine and smooth as a breeze. I wonder where the problem might be in my office system? :)

noryb009

#98 Post by noryb009 »

It most likely is the crossfire, but I'm not an expert.

You should repost your problem here.

adXok

#99 Post by adXok »

Another strange thing is that when I try to install the .sfs packeges for skype, adobe acrobat reader and the others in the list of Quickpet it tells me that I need to install Puppy in order to use .sfs packeges.

Seems that is a limitation when using Puppy Linux Windows Installer (any version I suppose). :(

noryb009

#100 Post by noryb009 »

I'm pretty sure that goes away when you create a save file and reboot.

adXok

#101 Post by adXok »

^ yes you are right, but...

Here are some concerns I've noticed when using 'Puppy Linux Windows Installer v1.1':

1. It installs Puppy right in the Windows partition (commonly known as C:\)
- I expected to ask me where to install, really :(

2. When a session is saved there is a problem loading it if it is not saved in the Puppy installation Folder (default in C:\<Puppy-Folder> made by the 'Puppy Linux Windows Installer v1.1')
- first I saved it in another folder in a second hard drive... didn't load after rebooting the system, loads (searches for, tries to finds) default lupu-528.sfs instead
- tried to edit the menu.lst file without success, by default installation it says:

Code: Select all

title Puppy Linux 528
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-528/initrd.gz
kernel /Puppy-Linux-528/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-528" pfix=fsck
initrd /Puppy-Linux-528/initrd.gz
boot
which I tried to edit entering: (h1,7) and subdir=xxx-xxx, here and there, leads to error loading the saved session in that drive in its proper folder: xxx-xxx

Finally I moved the saved session file in the default directory (in C:\), restored the default 'menu.lst' file and after reboot it loaded the correct new saved session.

Maybe that's the way the Installer was meant to work anyway, do not know! Whatever, now I test it and it works fine so far.

noryb009

#102 Post by noryb009 »

1. It installs Puppy right in the Windows partition (commonly known as C:\)
- I expected to ask me where to install, really
I think I didn't give users an option to choose their sub directory because it has to be in the root directory and has to have no spaces.
Most people use C as their only hard drive partition, so I set that as the default.

I might add a directory option in the next version, which will be whenever I get some free time.
2. When a session is saved there is a problem loading it if it is not saved in the Puppy installation Folder (default in C:\<Puppy-Folder> made by the 'Puppy Linux Windows Installer v1.1')
This was done for simplicity, as Puppy lets users pick what save file they want to use. This narrows the save files down to the files in C:\<Puppy-Folder>, which should all be compatible with the puppy version. I also don't think puppy can use a save file on a different partition.

The installer is meant to get Puppy onto a windows system quickly and without asking the user many questions.

adXok

#103 Post by adXok »

That is what I thought so also.

Another problem:
· seems like new downloaded .sfs packages from Qiuckpet go in C:\ and NOT in the Puppy directory (C:\<Puppy-directory>)

I move them into Puppy directory manually afterwards, yet I am afraid that way they will not load in Puppy startup...

:roll:

noryb009

#104 Post by noryb009 »

· seems like new downloaded .sfs packages from Qiuckpet go in C:\ and NOT in the Puppy directory (C:\<Puppy-directory>)
I'm pretty sure the correct directory for SFS files is /mnt/home, which is C:\.
This is so that multiple puppies (like C:\puppy123 and C:\puppy456) can use the same SFS file, saving space on your hard drive.

If you move them to the puppy folder, it will not load at start up (I'm pretty sure...).

adXok

#105 Post by adXok »

We are both wrong.
After moving the .sfs to C:\Puppy-Lucid-528 everything loads perfect!

:)

ICPUG

#106 Post by ICPUG »

been on holiday so sorry about the late response to this:

Noryb009 said:
I think I didn't give users an option to choose their sub directory because it has to be in the root directory and has to have no spaces.
It used to be the case that puppy would only search 1 subfolder down from root and the above is true (if subdirectory means where the puppyfolder is stored).

More recent puppies based on recent woofs have this restriction removed, although I never bother to go lower than 1 folder for storing the puppy files myself.

The location of additional sfs files were also restricted to /mnt/home (or c:\) in the past. I think this may have changed in later woofs as well but I am beginning to lose track of all the changes in woof so cannot be certain.

emil

sagelive exe installer

#107 Post by emil »

I made an exe installer for the Sage Live CD.
It is huge 680 MB.

Everything went smooth, I used Wine from inside the running Live CD.
To avoid clobbering up my save file I shifted the /root/.wine/drive_c to /mnt/home and symlinked it in /root/.wine.

Earlier I also built some versions on a 32 bit windows machine, which works fine too.

thanks noryb009 and all!

emil

sagelive exe installer

#108 Post by emil »

I made an exe installer for the Sage Live CD.
It is huge 680 MB.

Everything went smooth, I used Wine from inside the running Live CD.
To avoid clobbering up my save file I shifted the /root/.wine/drive_c to /mnt/home and symlinked it in /root/.wine.

Earlier I also built some versions on a 32 bit windows machine, which works fine too.

thanks noryb009 and all!

HiDeHo

#109 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi is this a port of the lin4win project or the wubi installer. please define it here.

jakfish

#110 Post by jakfish »

I'm about to give this a whirl on an ancient IBM Thinkpad 570/Win98FE laptop.

A couple of questions about power savings:

1) With my 192MBs of RAM, can I assume that everything but the pupsave file will be loaded in RAM?

2) With plans to forgo the hard drive altogether once puppy is running (in console, I'll try to use "hdparm -y /dev/sda1"), is it possible to have a booting puppy look for the pupsave file on a compact flash on PCMCIA card?

The cf would probably be considered an sdb2 or something akin. I think that a booting puppy will recognize that drive and install its proper drivers. But will it do so in time to look on that drive for the working pupsave file?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks much,
Jake