Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
number77

#526 Post by number77 »

bigpup wrote:[know to do it, using one of these programs.[/color]
I did try that but it didn't help lick to find the ext4 partition so I formatted to ntfs. But somehow I don't feel safe with ntfs as its microsoft.

noryb009

#527 Post by noryb009 »

As far as I know, the Puppy is loaded into RAM in compressed files. Will the Puppy run faster if they are loaded into RAM uncompressed, as in my live Puppies?
That should probably be asked elsewhere on the forum. But between the obvious savings of not needing to continuously decompress things, and the cost of having less RAM free for other things (such as file buffers for persistent disks), I'm not sure.
But somehow I don't feel safe with ntfs as its microsoft.
Linux distros use NTFS-3G, which is open source.

If you still don't like it, you should be able to move the files in C:/your-puppy to the root of an ext3 disk and it should "just work". (Keep in mind that if you do this, LICK won't be able to delete the files when you uninstall the distro).

tallboy

#528 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, noryb009.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

tallboy

#529 Post by tallboy »

I am unfamiliar with Windows, but I know that it is not exactly famous for it's security. The savefile for my Puppy in Win 10 is ext4, and is, as far as I know, not normally accessible from within Windoze. Are there any special security issues regarding the use of Lick? Any situations not usually met when using a Puppy?
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

noryb009

#530 Post by noryb009 »

Sorry, I didn't get an email notification for your message :(

The simple answer: no, you don't need to worry about that.

The detailed answer:

The only thing I can think of possibly happening is a ransomware locking down your save file. But even then, a lot of ransomwares only care about stuff in "My Documents", since that's where the user's data usually is. Encrypting everything on hard drives would just make encrypting and decrypting take a lot longer.

There's a theoretical attack of malware detecting a Linux install and modifying it. However, since LICK-style installs are so rare, it's more likely that a malware would search for an EXT4 partition and change things there.

number77

#531 Post by number77 »

Hello
I would like to change the boot order to lick first and windows second but can't find any entry. Where is it and can I do it. I loaded xenial64 onto win7 on a dell e6230.
Thanks
number77

noryb009

#532 Post by noryb009 »

Find the file C:/lickgrub.cfg (if you installed LICK to another drive, this might be on that drive) (if this file doesn't exist, let me know). In that file, change "set default=0" to "set default=1" (or the number of times you want it to automatically press "down" for you)

number77

#533 Post by number77 »

C:/lickgrub.cfg is not there. There is lickmenu.1st and menu.1st and also menu-advanced.1st.
Any help.

noryb009

#534 Post by noryb009 »

In that case, the process is somewhat confusing, so I won't write it out in text. Follow this video, but look for the bcdedit entry with the description "LICK Boot Loader".

SolusUmbra

#535 Post by SolusUmbra »

I tried using Lick today to install Mint and got an error No Kernel. Is there a way to fix it?
thanks

noryb009

#536 Post by noryb009 »

Sorry, but Linux Mint isn't supported by LICK

SolusUmbra

#537 Post by SolusUmbra »

Thank you

SolusUmbra

#538 Post by SolusUmbra »

Thank you

number77

#539 Post by number77 »

Thanks noryb009 that changed the boot order to lick for me.
Once more thank you.
number77

d4rkn1ght

#540 Post by d4rkn1ght »

noryb009 wrote:Find the file C:/lickgrub.cfg (if you installed LICK to another drive, this might be on that drive) (if this file doesn't exist, let me know). In that file, change "set default=0" to "set default=1" (or the number of times you want it to automatically press "down" for you)
I tried changing the default to 1 but Windows XP still the first option and Tahrpup second.

Code: Select all

## start header
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs

set timeout=5
set default=1

insmod all_video
if loadfont /grub/fonts/unicode.pf2 ; then
    set gfxmode=auto
    set gfxpayload=keep
    terminal_output gfxterm
fi

menuentry "Windows" {
    insmod chain
    search --set=root --file /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi
    chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
## end header

noryb009

#541 Post by noryb009 »

There's a few things in your post which are odd to me, let's figure out those first so I can help you set the default.

1) You mention you have Windows XP, but your lickgrub.cfg file seems to be set up for a newer Windows bootloader. Are you sure LICK generated this file?

2) Is that your entire lickgrub.cfg file?

3) When you boot, which menu(s) do you see, and in which order? You might see a grub4dos one, a grub2 one, an XP style boot menu, or a newer Windows boot loader.

d4rkn1ght

#542 Post by d4rkn1ght »

noryb009 wrote:There's a few things in your post which are odd to me, let's figure out those first so I can help you set the default.

1) You mention you have Windows XP, but your lickgrub.cfg file seems to be set up for a newer Windows bootloader. Are you sure LICK generated this file?
I used LICK-1.3.3-win32.
noryb009 wrote:2) Is that your entire lickgrub.cfg file?
Yes, It was in C:/Program Files/lick/res/lickgrub.cfg
noryb009 wrote:3) When you boot, which menu(s) do you see, and in which order? You might see a grub4dos one, a grub2 one, an XP style boot menu, or a newer Windows boot loader.
I have the XP style menu.

noryb009

#543 Post by noryb009 »

First, in the future, please be careful following instructions in posts, and if you deviate from the instructions, please note how in your post. In this case, I specifically asked about "C:/lickgrub.cfg" because it has a very different purpose than "C:/Program Files/lick/res/lickgrub.cfg".

For your case, note that doing this may cause some issues if you ever decide to uninstall LICK's bootloader. If you decide to uninstall the bootloader, please refollow these steps and reset the default entry to Windows. (There shouldn't be any issue if you forget, but it's better to be safe)

Open up Windows. In the start menu, go to "run". Type in "msconfig". Go to the "boot.ini" tab. Select the LICK entry, then click on "set as default".

d4rkn1ght

#544 Post by d4rkn1ght »

noryb009 wrote:First, in the future, please be careful following instructions in posts, and if you deviate from the instructions, please note how in your post. In this case, I specifically asked about "C:/lickgrub.cfg" because it has a very different purpose than "C:/Program Files/lick/res/lickgrub.cfg".
Sorry about that. :oops: I've just been working long hours lately and I'm a bit sleep deprived.
noryb009 wrote:For your case, note that doing this may cause some issues if you ever decide to uninstall LICK's bootloader. If you decide to uninstall the bootloader, please refollow these steps and reset the default entry to Windows. (There shouldn't be any issue if you forget, but it's better to be safe)
Noted! I'll be saving this post just in case.
noryb009 wrote:Open up Windows. In the start menu, go to "run". Type in "msconfig". Go to the "boot.ini" tab. Select the LICK entry, then click on "set as default".
Thank you! That's what I wanted! :D

GusCE6

#545 Post by GusCE6 »

I've used LICK on the 2012 Windows 8 ASUS, 2001 Sony VAIO XP Home Edition, and the early 2000s XP Home Edition Dell.

It has given new life to those two antiques, especially for safe online activity (Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid).

However, be aware that certain distros of Puppy Linux may not work on certain computers. For example, Lucid will not properly install on the ASUS with LICK.