Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
glore2002

Puppy linux Slacko 5.5 PAE version.

#256 Post by glore2002 »

Hello! I have a week using Puppy linux from a usb pendrive. Now, I would like to try it running from a HD dual boot with windows 7. I am not sure about the steps to follow and will really appreciate if you could help me in order to minimize mistakes during this task.

Version I want to install is Puppy Linux Slacko PAE version 5.5 (to make use of entire RAM). I am downloading Installer version: Puppy Linux 550 PAE.exe Is this OK?

After downloading, I have to run this file from within Windows and it will automatically install Puppy Slacko 5.5 PAE and also a bootloader that will let me choose between Windows 7 and Puppy when booting.

Is this OK or I have to do anything else to accomplished what I want?

What if after installing I need or want to uninstall Puppy and get things back to where they were before dual boot?

Thanks for your help!

noryb009

#257 Post by noryb009 »

glore2002: That's the correct file, and everything else you said was also correct.

If you need to uninstall Puppy, just use the uninstaller in the control panel program manager, or in the start menu.

glore2002

#258 Post by glore2002 »

noryb009 wrote:glore2002: That's the correct file, and everything else you said was also correct.

If you need to uninstall Puppy, just use the uninstaller in the control panel program manager, or in the start menu.
Thanks noryb009!
So it is easier than what I thought. I think installing it in HDD will improve its performance (speed, etc). Is this what you do?

Thank you!
Last edited by glore2002 on Thu 15 Aug 2013, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

noryb009

#259 Post by noryb009 »

You're welcome! Running from the HDD should make the read/write speed much faster. I use the installer because it's the easiest way to dual boot windows and puppy.

glore2002

#260 Post by glore2002 »

noryb009 wrote:You're welcome! Running from the HDD should make the read/write speed much faster. I use the installer because it's the easiest way to dual boot windows and puppy.
Is there a puppy 5.6 PAE installer available or still not? Thanks!

noryb009

#261 Post by noryb009 »

I actually just uploaded the 5.6 PAE version today. It can be found on the link in the first post.

Just a note to anyone wondering, I'm planning on uploading 5.6 non-PAE and precise 5.7 (normal and retro) in the next few days. Sorry about the delay.

koulaxizis

#262 Post by koulaxizis »

Nice work!! Thank you for that!! :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

glore2002

#263 Post by glore2002 »

noryb009 wrote:I actually just uploaded the 5.6 PAE version today. It can be found on the link in the first post.

Just a note to anyone wondering, I'm planning on uploading 5.6 non-PAE and precise 5.7 (normal and retro) in the next few days. Sorry about the delay.
Thanks!

noryb009

#264 Post by noryb009 »

Puppy Linux 5.6 PAE and Non-PAE and Precise Puppy Linux 5.7 have been uploaded. See the link in the first post.

glore2002

Installer and Windows 8.

#265 Post by glore2002 »

Hello!

Does this installer work with Windows 8 or not yet?

Thank you.

noryb009

#266 Post by noryb009 »

The recently compiled installers (Puppy Linux 570 and Precise 560 and 570) work on Windows 8 when secure boot is off and UEFI is set to Legacy (BIOS) mode.

Censtone

Install Puppy Linux on Windows ME

#267 Post by Censtone »

The 1st post in this topic states that: "PLIC installers work on all versions of Windows, from 95 to 8, except ME".

Has the Windows Installer been updated, so that it also works with Windows ME?

noryb009

#268 Post by noryb009 »

Has the Windows Installer been updated, so that it also works with Windows ME?
No, it has not. ME has a very different boot loader, which makes it hard to load Grub4Dos* (which loads Puppy).

If you have a Windows ME system, and you want to dual-boot, I would recommend doing a frugal installation with Grub4Dos as the bootloader*.

*: Grub4Dos -> ME can be done, but ME-> Grub4Dos can't. Making Grub4Dos load first is out of the scope of PLIC.

Censtone

#269 Post by Censtone »

Many thanks noryb009 for your detailed explanation.

A relative wanted to experiment with Linux on an old Windows ME computer. Dual booting seemed to me to be an attractive approach. However in the mean time he was so frustrated that he uninstalled Windows ME!

I have successfully used the Windows installer on Windows 7 and Windows XP computers. Now might have a go on an old Windows 98 laptop.

Thunderbird

#270 Post by Thunderbird »

This has probably been answered on here before but cannot find anything specific.

Been using Puppy for a couple of years, 5.2.8 on an old (2002) Dell laptop and Phat Slacko on a more recent Dell laptop. The more recent one is not the issue, it works fine with Phat Slacko on an external HD but the old one gets rather frustrating. It will not boot from a USB, have tried PLoP Boot Manager floppy but since its USB 1 it then takes ages to install to memory, Windows XP is faster.

So for 2 years I have been using a CD to boot the laptop each time which although adequate I thought there must be a better way.

Found the Windows Installer (EXE) on the Puppy site the other day and it directed me to this thread, very interested.

So after all the above nonsense is it really as simple as it reads and does it work OK with Windows XP, the example shown is Windows 7. In Windows XP does the Widows Boot Manager install automatically when I start the Puppy Windows Installer, would be Lucid 5.2.8 (nothing newer works) and does the GRUB boot manager then install automatically.

It all looks terribly simple, am I missing something or do you get a dual boot laptop as easy as it appears. Not a programmer so want to avoid any manual changes to the laptop to get it up and running.

mikeb

#271 Post by mikeb »

XP will be no problem and the win32 installer was originally written with it in mind.

Its that simple and its a shame its not officially supported by puppy for whatever reason which would avoid users drifting off to use unsupported things like unetbooting, but fortunately for us, people like norby009 carry on regardless :)

mike

Thunderbird

#272 Post by Thunderbird »

Thanks for that.

Presume after its installed (are there any awkward questions) you have to reboot the laptop and then go the through the setting up process like running a live CD.

Just for my sanity is the setting up as simple as the first time you run a Live CD and do you still have to create a save file on first exit.

Thanks.

mikeb

#273 Post by mikeb »

Yes basically though if you have an existing save file it should be useable by copying to where the pup is installed so avoiding starting from scratch again.

mike

Thunderbird

#274 Post by Thunderbird »

Thanks again for your reply, not got round to doing anything yet, been erecting a new fence.

Had one thought, when I read up about Puppy initially one of the advantages often quoted was the fact that unless you mounted your hard drives for a good reason there was no way for a virus etc to infect the hard drive on your computer. The advice I read was to put the Puppy save file in a separate partition, I had a 3gb D drive and put the Puppy save file in there.

Having read a good deal of this thread it appears that when you install Puppy for within Windows it installs in C drive thus that drive must be mounted and more susceptible to getting a virus.

Or am I missing something.

mikeb

#275 Post by mikeb »

Not really something to worry about... a bit of over zealous salesmanship.

All the resident drives are mounted by default in my case... c:, d: etc etc.

Nothing is going to come through puppy and nothing coming through windows would affect it apart from of course something that wiped the hard drive which I think in such a case there would be more to worry about.

Note that puppy would be in self contained files that to a normal windows install would be meaningless anyway.

If there were cases of actual problems reported then it would be a different matter... I prefer facts to speculation. :D

mike