Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 18:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - V1.1 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 18 of 23 [342 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
glore2002

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013, 20:23    Post subject: Puppy linux Slacko 5.5 PAE version.  

Hello! I have a week using Puppy linux from a usb pendrive. Now, I would like to try it running from a HD dual boot with windows 7. I am not sure about the steps to follow and will really appreciate if you could help me in order to minimize mistakes during this task.

Version I want to install is Puppy Linux Slacko PAE version 5.5 (to make use of entire RAM). I am downloading Installer version: Puppy Linux 550 PAE.exe Is this OK?

After downloading, I have to run this file from within Windows and it will automatically install Puppy Slacko 5.5 PAE and also a bootloader that will let me choose between Windows 7 and Puppy when booting.

Is this OK or I have to do anything else to accomplished what I want?

What if after installing I need or want to uninstall Puppy and get things back to where they were before dual boot?

Thanks for your help!
noryb009

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013, 21:41    Post subject:  

glore2002: That's the correct file, and everything else you said was also correct.

If you need to uninstall Puppy, just use the uninstaller in the control panel program manager, or in the start menu.
glore2002

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 06:31    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
glore2002: That's the correct file, and everything else you said was also correct.

If you need to uninstall Puppy, just use the uninstaller in the control panel program manager, or in the start menu.

Thanks noryb009!
So it is easier than what I thought. I think installing it in HDD will improve its performance (speed, etc). Is this what you do?

Thank you!

Last edited by glore2002 on Thu 15 Aug 2013, 15:17; edited 1 time in total
noryb009

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 09:47    Post subject:  

You're welcome! Running from the HDD should make the read/write speed much faster. I use the installer because it's the easiest way to dual boot windows and puppy.
glore2002

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 19:05    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
You're welcome! Running from the HDD should make the read/write speed much faster. I use the installer because it's the easiest way to dual boot windows and puppy.

Is there a puppy 5.6 PAE installer available or still not? Thanks!
noryb009

PostPosted: Thu 15 Aug 2013, 22:49    Post subject:  

I actually just uploaded the 5.6 PAE version today. It can be found on the link in the first post.

Just a note to anyone wondering, I'm planning on uploading 5.6 non-PAE and precise 5.7 (normal and retro) in the next few days. Sorry about the delay.
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 03:22    Post subject:  

Nice work!! Thank you for that!! Smile

[ Puppy packages | Puppy search ]
glore2002

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 13:51    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
I actually just uploaded the 5.6 PAE version today. It can be found on the link in the first post.

Just a note to anyone wondering, I'm planning on uploading 5.6 non-PAE and precise 5.7 (normal and retro) in the next few days. Sorry about the delay.

Thanks!
noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 15:16    Post subject:  

Puppy Linux 5.6 PAE and Non-PAE and Precise Puppy Linux 5.7 have been uploaded. See the link in the first post.
glore2002

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 21:27    Post subject: Installer and Windows 8.  

Hello!

Does this installer work with Windows 8 or not yet?

Thank you.
noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 22:27    Post subject:  

The recently compiled installers (Puppy Linux 570 and Precise 560 and 570) work on Windows 8 when secure boot is off and UEFI is set to Legacy (BIOS) mode.
Censtone

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2013, 04:00    Post subject: Install Puppy Linux on Windows ME  

The 1st post in this topic states that: "PLIC installers work on all versions of Windows, from 95 to 8, except ME".

Has the Windows Installer been updated, so that it also works with Windows ME?
noryb009

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct 2013, 22:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
Has the Windows Installer been updated, so that it also works with Windows ME?

No, it has not. ME has a very different boot loader, which makes it hard to load Grub4Dos* (which loads Puppy).

If you have a Windows ME system, and you want to dual-boot, I would recommend doing a frugal installation with Grub4Dos as the bootloader*.

*: Grub4Dos -> ME can be done, but ME-> Grub4Dos can't. Making Grub4Dos load first is out of the scope of PLIC.
Censtone

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2013, 04:19    Post subject:
Subject description: Has the Windows Installer been updated, so that it also works with Windows ME?

Many thanks noryb009 for your detailed explanation.

A relative wanted to experiment with Linux on an old Windows ME computer. Dual booting seemed to me to be an attractive approach. However in the mean time he was so frustrated that he uninstalled Windows ME!

I have successfully used the Windows installer on Windows 7 and Windows XP computers. Now might have a go on an old Windows 98 laptop.
Thunderbird

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov 2013, 09:52    Post subject:  

This has probably been answered on here before but cannot find anything specific.

Been using Puppy for a couple of years, 5.2.8 on an old (2002) Dell laptop and Phat Slacko on a more recent Dell laptop. The more recent one is not the issue, it works fine with Phat Slacko on an external HD but the old one gets rather frustrating. It will not boot from a USB, have tried PLoP Boot Manager floppy but since its USB 1 it then takes ages to install to memory, Windows XP is faster.

So for 2 years I have been using a CD to boot the laptop each time which although adequate I thought there must be a better way.

Found the Windows Installer (EXE) on the Puppy site the other day and it directed me to this thread, very interested.

So after all the above nonsense is it really as simple as it reads and does it work OK with Windows XP, the example shown is Windows 7. In Windows XP does the Widows Boot Manager install automatically when I start the Puppy Windows Installer, would be Lucid 5.2.8 (nothing newer works) and does the GRUB boot manager then install automatically.

It all looks terribly simple, am I missing something or do you get a dual boot laptop as easy as it appears. Not a programmer so want to avoid any manual changes to the laptop to get it up and running.
Page 18 of 23 [342 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: