Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Oct 2014, 22:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - V1.1 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 11 of 23 [338 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Author Message
shinobar


Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 2631
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2012, 22:01    Post subject: Mirror  

noryb009 wrote:
531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded

Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/

_________________
Google Chrome portable
Downloads for Puppy Linux http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
PenguinPupLin

Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Location: The Little Red Dot

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2012, 07:22    Post subject:  

ICPUG wrote:
Thanks for that detail on how you solved your problem. How big is that driver? Can we get it uploaded somewhere so other users can get it without having to compile it for themselves?

The usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so is 34m size. Is this the right one? Sorry,you're talking to a newbie.

Anothing thing,I discovered a hitch - while report video glx showed the fglrx driver is used,the AMD Catalyst Control Center>Display Manager>Display Properties(for my Samsung Syncmaster 931C LCD panel) didn't show anything,no resolution or refresh rates, until I select Multi Display as Single Display Desktop. I guessed this is a problem with my problematic Radeon HD5450 graphics card. Apart from this,so far so good.


Let me know where or how I can upload it. Sorry,I have yet to learn how to make a pet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ICPUG

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 1290
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012, 08:39    Post subject:  

I'm conversing with PenguinPupLin via PM regarding the driver as it is not really specific to the Windows installer. If we get a means of disseminating the solution to others I'll announce it somewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
noryb009

Joined: 20 Mar 2010
Posts: 539

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012, 23:07    Post subject: Re: Mirror  

shinobar wrote:
noryb009 wrote:
531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded

Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/

Thank you very much! Added to the first post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
voltaire

Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 01:34    Post subject:  

Hi guys,

Forgive me for asking for a little support in here, but it probably won't get seen by the right people in the general area...

I'm trying to use the Windows installer because it's the only way with a IBM Thinkpad 570e which does not have any external drives, can't boot from USB or even PCMCIA, and doesn't have a network card. It originally came with Win98, but was upgraded to WinXP.

I installed the Puppy Linux 531.exe in WinXP and the Windows part of it went through with no problems. After reboot, it couldn't find the .sfs file.
So then I tried Quickset_Wary_Puppy_Linux_511.exe (after uninstall/reboot of previous attempt) and the Windows part also installed without a hitch, but upon reboot got basically the same error as the 531 install. At the splash screen whether I choose to "Load Save File" or not, I get:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
-/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off


So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

So any ideas of what to try? I'm kind of at the end of my rope trying to get a linux running on this laptop without any other way besides Windows installers. (Out of desperation, I've also tried the Wubi installer for Ubuntu and the Joli Windows installer... predictably, no joy with those...)

Do you think the issue may be related to this originally being a Win98 OS which was upgraded to XP? I think I read something somewhere about issues with 98...

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I think I'm gonna go try that Debian Windows installer now as a final act of desperation... I'd MUCH rather get good 'ole Puppy working though!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
RSH


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 2420
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 01:44    Post subject:  

voltaire wrote:
Hi guys,

Forgive me for asking for a little support in here, but it probably won't get seen by the right people in the general area...

I'm trying to use the Windows installer because it's the only way with a IBM Thinkpad 570e which does not have any external drives, can't boot from USB or even PCMCIA, and doesn't have a network card. It originally came with Win98, but was upgraded to WinXP.

I installed the Puppy Linux 531.exe in WinXP and the Windows part of it went through with no problems. After reboot, it couldn't find the .sfs file.
So then I tried Quickset_Wary_Puppy_Linux_511.exe (after uninstall/reboot of previous attempt) and the Windows part also installed without a hitch, but upon reboot got basically the same error as the 531 install. At the splash screen whether I choose to "Load Save File" or not, I get:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
-/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off


So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

So any ideas of what to try? I'm kind of at the end of my rope trying to get a linux running on this laptop without any other way besides Windows installers. (Out of desperation, I've also tried the Wubi installer for Ubuntu and the Joli Windows installer... predictably, no joy with those...)

Do you think the issue may be related to this originally being a Win98 OS which was upgraded to XP? I think I read something somewhere about issues with 98...

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I think I'm gonna go try that Debian Windows installer now as a final act of desperation... I'd MUCH rather get good 'ole Puppy working though!

Try LazY Puppy. It comes also as win-installer. Link below...

_________________
LazY Puppy
RSH's DNA
SARA B.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
shinobar


Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 2631
Location: Japan

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 02:39    Post subject: wary_511.sfs not found  

voltaire wrote:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
-/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off


So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

It seems the kernel issue, that is the disk driver cannot handle your hardware.
Older version of Puppy may run, but the winodws installers provide only Puppies 5.x at this point of time...
There is a chance you try the Unetbootin with old(4.x) Puppies.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

By the way, how did you upgrade the Win98 to XP? I think you need some boot up media other than the HDD for the sake of an accident on the HDD.

_________________
Google Chrome portable
Downloads for Puppy Linux http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 08:33    Post subject:  

voltaire

IF you have a floppy disc in your 570E you can boot from an external USB or CD using plop boot manager, or one of these dos boot utilities downloaded and saved to disk

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

I got a 560 and 570 running puppy 2.14x and 4.21 quite well a few years back, and even added usb2 and network via pcmcia adapters

Tough old machines, but need bios update and maxram .... Very Happy

Aitch Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
voltaire

Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2012, 14:04    Post subject:  

Wow, three replies in less than 24 hours, thanks guys! Before I gave up last night, I tried the Debian Windows installer and it looks like it will work, but I quit before doing any partitioning, because I want Puppy damn it!

Quote:
Try LazY Puppy. It comes also as win-installer. Link below...

Thanks! I'll try this first. <fingers crossed>

Quote:
It seems the kernel issue, that is the disk driver cannot handle your hardware.
Older version of Puppy may run, but the winodws installers provide only Puppies 5.x at this point of time...
There is a chance you try the Unetbootin with old(4.x) Puppies.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/


Thanks. I was looking at Unetbootin, but figured that the result would be the same as with the two Windows-installer Puppys I already tried. I'll try a 4.x if the LazY Puppy doesn't work.

Quote:
By the way, how did you upgrade the Win98 to XP? I think you need some boot up media other than the HDD for the sake of an accident on the HDD.

Quote:
IF you have a floppy disc in your 570E you can boot from an external USB or CD using plop boot manager, or one of these dos boot utilities downloaded and saved to disk...


I was given this laptop by someone who just wanted the data off of it, and I could keep it afterwards. He doesn't have/can't find the proprietary external drive that it once had, and since it can't boot from USB... here I am! I got his data off via thumbdrive, and now I just want to breathe a bit of life into this thing, since it's just too slow with XP to use for my purposes. If the HD ever dies on it, I'll probably cannibalize the LCD out of it and try to use it in my old ThinkPad with a broken screen.

Anyway, thanks for responses/ideas, I'll try them out tonight.

[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PenguinPupLin

Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Location: The Little Red Dot

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb 2012, 11:03    Post subject:  

Installed using the Windows Installer Slacko 531 on my friend's WinXP desktop PC. It was running fine the past few days until today when suddenly I couldn't boot into the menu after selecting "Start Puppy Linux" which returned the following error message:

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5:No grldr
Try (hd0,1):invalid or null
Try(hd0,2):invalid or null
Try(hd0.3):invalid or null
Try(fd0):invalid or null
Error:Cannot find grldr in all drives.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Tried reinstalling the 531 Windows Installer, didn't help, merely created another Slacko 531 boot code in the menu.lst

Thought it was missing the glrdr.mbr, so copied it over from another machine but no joy.

Uninstalled everything,including the pupsave as I've made a backup,then reinstalled the Windows Installer, again no luck.

Yesterday, all I did was to run the lupufy-slacko.004.pet,installed abispell for abiword and surfed the Internet;the day before,changed the avg antivirus in WinXP to avast - it was still working alright when I turned off the PC for the night.

This is somewhat embarrassing as I was intending to introduce my friend to try Slacko this way. Hope somebody can help me fix it before he comes to collect his PC back; luckily,I didn't mess up his WinXP.

Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 10:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb 2012, 13:11    Post subject:  

PenguinPupLin

Check you have a puppy folder containing:
initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_slacko.xxx.sfs, and slacko_save.2 or 3fs,
in your root [C:\] directory, and menu.lst....here's mine, - adjust yours to suit

Quote:
timeout=5

default=0

gfxmenu=/Grub_GUI.gz

title Puppy Linux 530 PAE

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

kernel /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-530-PAE" pfix=fsck

initrd /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

boot



title Puppy Linux 530 PAE - Do not load save file

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

kernel /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-530-PAE" pfix=ram

initrd /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

boot


and boot.ini

Quote:
boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\grldr="Start Puppy Linux"



together with grbldr and grub_gui.gz

and you should be good to go... Very Happy

HTH

Aitch Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PenguinPupLin

Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Location: The Little Red Dot

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2012, 08:19    Post subject:  

Thanks,Aitch,you're ever ready to help. Have checked everything you pointed out and found all in order;in fact,that's how I multi-boot my puppies with WindowsXP/Vista before doing it on my friend's computer.

As I've said,it's working fine until yesterday. Despite repeated tries,including clean install after wiping out all traces of previous installs, as well as troubleshooting WinXP with checkdisk, sfc.exe, full defrag, antivirus/malware scanning,etc -- all to no avail.

All this while,WinXP is running alright and I'm using the said PC to post my reply. A search on the web revealed a few Ubuntu/Linux Mint users have encountered similar problem and their solution was to replace the /root and /swap folder that can be restored from either found.000 or dir.0000 folders or the renamed root.disk chk0000.chk but,unfortunately,the aforementioned three folders/files aren't anywhere to be seen,not even as hidden files.

Well, I'll just have to wait and see, the computer world often throws up unpredictable and strange happenings,never ceasing to catch us by surprise. Meanwhile, I hope my two other computers(one WinXP notebook and one Vista desktop) with the same setup are not hit by this anomaly.

Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 14:08; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ICPUG

Joined: 24 Jul 2005
Posts: 1290
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2012, 08:51    Post subject:  

The error message suggests the file grldr has been deleted from the root directory of the Windows partition:
c:\grldr

This is NOT grldr.mbr but a different file with no extension.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Aitch


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 6825
Location: Chatham, Kent, UK

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2012, 10:28    Post subject:  

That was my first thought....as pointed out in my more detailed list of necessary files - you may have overlooked it, checking menu.lst and boot.ini contents?

Aitch wrote:
Check you have a puppy folder containing:
initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_slacko.xxx.sfs, and slacko_save.2 or 3fs,
in your root [C:\] directory, and menu.lst.....and boot.ini ....together with grbldr and grub_gui.gz [EDIT: typo grldr not grbldr]

and you should be good to go... Very Happy


I did encounter the same problem, earlier on a different PC, and fixed it [somehow?] by installing a different win32.exe file...I think I used 525?...which then got both of them working - maybe grldr got corrupted somehow?
I later deleted 525 and don't use it now as my hardware is SCSI based so slacko, and I have been so happy with that, I haven't even updated from 530 yet....

Aitch Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
PenguinPupLin

Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Posts: 126
Location: The Little Red Dot

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:51    Post subject:  

The C:\grldr (and not grldr.mbr which may not be needed for WinXP, I think) is there all the time, and , thinking that it could be corrupted, I actually copied it over from another computer of mine with the same setup;not only that, I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a few times, to no avail.

Thanks,both of you for being willing to engage me on this unusual,tricky problem. As for Aitch's suggestion of using the windows installer for lupu525, I would give it a try later but have to be extra careful not to mess up my friend's WinXP.

Latest: Aitch, I just downloaded the lupu525.exe and installed it, first time in addition to Slacko531, second time uninstalled both and reinstalled only lupu525, still no joy.

Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 11 of 23 [338 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 21, 22, 23 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1136s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0085s) ][ GZIP on ]