Installing sshfs on Puppy 5.1.1

Booting, installing, newbie
aragon

#16 Post by aragon »

hi Gander22h,

this:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SshWithPuppy

may help you further, there is a server-package and some explanation.

good luck
aragon

Gander22h

#17 Post by Gander22h »

Wonderful! Thank you very much!

Gander22h

#18 Post by Gander22h »

Just to close out this thread I can report that I installed the ssh-server from http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SshWithPuppy and it solved the problem!

It is a little complicated by Puppy's lack of user accounts as SSH will not connect to Root for security reasons. When you install ssh-server it brings up a dialog box that asks you to change the root password and set up a user account called "spot" with a new password. It also creates a new directory on the Puppy PC at /root/spot. Once you have done that and created a target directory on the PC to be linked from to put the connected folder into (her called "TargetDirectory") then you can connect to the Puppy PC by entering into a terminal:

Code: Select all

# sshfs spot@"LocalIPAddress": ~/TargetDirectory
To explain: "LocalIPAddress" is the actual local IP address of the Puppy PC, (ie 192.168.1.XXX). "TargetDirectory" is the name of the directory (or folder) that will be used to reach the spot directory on the Puppy PC.

You can note that this does not allow SSHFS access to the /root directory, just to the /root/spot directory, so the Puppy user will have to put documents in there to have them remotely accessed.

I would like to thank Aragon for their patient help in solving this issue. I hope other Puppy users will benefit from this knowledge.

shariebeth

#19 Post by shariebeth »

aragon wrote:hi Gander22h,

you're correctly assuming that sshfs needs to be compiled. As the tarball you're linking is a source-package and not a precompiled binary-package, tgz2pet won't help, as it only converts the tarball to a pet-package without compiling.

You could try the attached pet, but i don't know if it will work for you, as it is compiled with puppy 4.31 and not lupu.

aragon
Just to let you and others know this pet works for Racy 5.3 too. I couldn't find it in the PPM but managed to find this thread and gave it a try. I had already installed fuse from the PPM, I found that in one of the repositories, not sure which one now. :oops:

Thanks tons for this pet.