Can't use dialup in VAIO vgn ar250g notebook...

benny7440

Can't use dialup in VAIO vgn ar250g notebook...

#1 Post by benny7440 »

As far as I can remember I never got the internal modem of any laptop/notebook I've used (probably from 2004-5). Now, I'm willing to give it a serious try. Last year, in the early summer time they (the broadband co.) had a failure in the system & I was kept from the web for 5 straight days. Last Saturday it happened again, only this time it was back up next day. Since I've the right to have a dialup acct., which comes with the service I'm using now, as a backup, at least, I'm going to dig deep for a solution.

First of all, I used the "PupScan" utility that comes with PL511 (which I'm using right now) but I don't see anything recognizable there. Can someone point me in the right direction in order to try to detect which modem I have in this machine &, later, to establish a configuration for it in order I can call the ISP for setting things up?

Thanks in advanced!

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

benny7440 wrote:I used the "PupScan" utility that comes with PL511
Well you're off to a bad start by trying to use Puppy 5.1/5.2.x (Lucid). As Barry has explained, its kernel is too new to support winmodem drivers. So Lucid 5.1/5.2.x, contains very few, if any, winmodem drivers.

You should be using the latest Wary 5.1.2
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.1.2/
which has a slightly older kernel, and includes an extensive range of winmodem drivers.
There's a chance your modem might work straight away. But if not ...

i) you should post your query in the forum thread dedicated to winmodems -
"Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57290
Our dial-up modem expert, rerwin, will be able to help you there.

ii) It helps rerwin to identify the exact device ID of your modem. So please run this command -

Code: Select all

lspci -n
and post the results.

I just did a Google search for your Vaio VGN-AR250G, and it appears to have a Conexant HSF winmodem.
So I would venture a guess that the correct driver in Wary may be "hsfhda" somehow linked to the snd-hda-intel audio driver ? Anyway, boot up to Wary and see.

benny7440

#3 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks tempestuous, I'm already downloading the wary512 iso file from ibiblio. I don't know if the md5 checksum file there applies to the other file (the sfs) or not but I suspect it's not for the iso file. Hope it arrives ok.

If all is ok, I'm going to run that command from it & post to the said thread.