Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 03 Sep 2015, 04:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 1.0.8beta of "Singer" - bugs
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2006, 05:36    Post subject:  Puppy 1.0.8beta of "Singer" - bugs  

1.0.8 beta (AKA "Singer")
http://www.puptrix.org/beta/puppy-1.0.8beta-mozilla.iso

Does Puppy 1.0.8 sing? Smile

I was glad to find that lots of libraries - downloading everything including the kitchen sink Embarassed - were being either moved or removed. NVU seemed to be taken - but then it worked OK when I finished booting? (probably a good thing and not a bug - what is removed and what isn't? - have to read those docs again)

Rather disconcerting was opening help and Dillo opening and then vanishing . . .

The new blinky is there, JWM is there
Help?

Gonna turn off and start again . . .

Thanks for releasing 1.0.8 Cool

How are others getting on? - thanks to Teddog for hosting on fast server

new exit to prompt (or any icon) missing from menu shutdown

did not play sound at end of ALSA config?
but clicking on woof woof dog sound in reference got a woof
so working

What volume mixer do I use? Can not get help . . .
CD reader on pmount now working on my system - good job!
You can only close pmount with "quit" - clicking on top right x-box thingee (wash my mouth out) does not work

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2006, 08:31    Post subject: Re: Puppy 1.0.8beta of "Singer" - bugs  

Lobster wrote:

I was glad to find that lots of libraries - downloading everything including the kitchen sink Embarassed - were being either moved or removed. NVU seemed to be taken - but then it worked OK when I finished booting? (probably a good thing and not a bug - what is removed and what isn't? - have to read those docs again)

Rather disconcerting was opening help and Dillo opening and then vanishing . . .

Yes, the file cleanout is vicious. If you installed anything into /usr that did
not register with the PupGet package manager, it gets removed.

Lobster wrote:

new exit to prompt (or any icon) missing from menu shutdown

Ah, okay, will fix.

Lobster wrote:
did not play sound at end of ALSA config?
but clicking on woof woof dog sound in reference got a woof
so working

Yes, a bug in alsaconf script. Will look into it.
Lobster wrote:

CD reader on pmount now working on my system - good job!
You can only close pmount with "quit" - clicking on top right x-box thingee (wash my mouth out) does not work

Okay, will fix.
pop-pop

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb 2006, 09:55    Post subject: finally 1024x768x16/24 on Dell laptop  

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with only 1 MB of real video memory. Vesa seems to have no clue about using RAM as additional video memory. With previous Puppy versions, my video resolution thus has been limited to 640x480x16.

Xorg in Puppy 1.0.7a allowed 1024x768 but 1.0.7b and 1.0.7 did not. During Xorg configuration trying for 1024x768, the machine would lock with a blank screen after clicking on "OKAY" on the screen with the shark background.

I'm happy to report that I now have 1024x768x16 or x24 with both Puppy 1.0.8a and Puppy 2.

I installed Puppy 2 on a flash stick and it boots OK. I did see a bootup error about not finding a SCSI module and later a SCSI error after the "Registering unionfs 1.0.1.4" step. RC was 8000002. Known error?
Nathan F

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2006, 14:54    Post subject:  

Fujitsu LifebookC series, no sound.
Code:
#xtmix
xtmix: Error opening mixer device /dev/mixer
Fatal: /dev/mixer probably does not exist or has no r/w permissions

Other than that, looks pretty good for me.

Nathan

daw

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb 2006, 15:58    Post subject:  

MUT in version 1.0.7 succesfully recognized my internal ZIP drive.
In 1.0.8 it sees that the ZIP drive is there (hdd), but won't recognize that a disk has been inserted. Clicking on "SCAN" results in "No Disk"

(same bad behavior in puppy2 as well)
flavour

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2006, 16:22    Post subject:  

2 bugs in 1.0.8beta which I've not seen others as reporting:

(1) I need to re-run the ALSA wizard each boot (despite having a pup001 which saves other settings just fine)

(2) When increasing the size of the pup001 (using the excellent utility), upon next reboot I have to type xwin manually (because /etc/.XLOADED isn't tidied up)
- NB this bug was also present in 1.0.7

Thanks,
F
jeffrey

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2006, 17:28    Post subject: 1.0.8beta problems  

Other problems observed with 1.0.8 beta:

1. After running over the weekend (with blinky active on a connected eth0 and mozilla sitting on a static web page) the disk was thrashing very severely (boot from Live CD). From top, the X process had RSS 125M – 128M, %MEM 78-84. Closed Mozilla, no better. Killed blinky (RSS 4144, %MEM 2) with “kill 753” which made the blinky icon disappear but the top window froze and the rxvt window never displayed the effect of the enter key – all I got was heaps of disk thrashing for 10 mins. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn’t take effect. PC power off/on required. It looks like blinky is constantly allocating X resources and not freeing them - load 1.0.8beta with an active eth0 interface and watch the RSS value for X grow until you kill blinky. It's an excellent applet - can it be fixed rather than removed?

2. Seems sluggish at times in X compared with 1.0.7, ie slow response to mouse clicks, slow drawing of menus. May be related to point 1 above, but happened immediately after loading - I didn't have to wait 2 days to get to this state.

3. Puppy Video Wizard (when X first starts on a new installation of Puppy) seems slower to respond than in 1.0.8. It repositions itself on the screen slightly and doesn't go away when OK is ticked (for quite some time).

4. On booting shows "expr: non-numeric argument" after freeing unusued kernel memory, just before the first geen "done" string is displayed.

I think that the followin have been observed, but for the record...
1. 1.0.8beta always unmounts uncleanly, apparently due to a missing /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown.
2. When gkdial is used to disconnect ppp0, blinky goes blank (correctly) but xclock does too (and the process actually dies).
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2006, 20:30    Post subject: Re: 1.0.8beta problems  

jeffrey wrote:
Other problems observed with 1.0.8 beta:

1. After running over the weekend (with blinky active on a connected eth0 and mozilla sitting on a static web page) the disk was thrashing very severely (boot from Live CD). From top, the X process had RSS 125M – 128M, %MEM 78-84. Closed Mozilla, no better. Killed blinky (RSS 4144, %MEM 2) with “kill 753” which made the blinky icon disappear but the top window froze and the rxvt window never displayed the effect of the enter key – all I got was heaps of disk thrashing for 10 mins. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace didn’t take effect. PC power off/on required. It looks like blinky is constantly allocating X resources and not freeing them - load 1.0.8beta with an active eth0 interface and watch the RSS value for X grow until you kill blinky. It's an excellent applet - can it be fixed rather than removed?

2. Seems sluggish at times in X compared with 1.0.7, ie slow response to mouse clicks, slow drawing of menus. May be related to point 1 above, but happened immediately after loading - I didn't have to wait 2 days to get to this state.

3. Puppy Video Wizard (when X first starts on a new installation of Puppy) seems slower to respond than in 1.0.8. It repositions itself on the screen slightly and doesn't go away when OK is ticked (for quite some time).

4. On booting shows "expr: non-numeric argument" after freeing unusued kernel memory, just before the first geen "done" string is displayed.

I think that the followin have been observed, but for the record...
1. 1.0.8beta always unmounts uncleanly, apparently due to a missing /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown.
2. When gkdial is used to disconnect ppp0, blinky goes blank (correctly) but xclock does too (and the process actually dies).

I have finalised 1.0.8, will release it tomorrow.
Or rather, I was going to...

I have fixed some of the bugs you list above, but that Blinky
bug... what actually is the "RSS" value? I'm watching "Top"
running right now, and for Blinky it's steadily increasing.
So, may have to take Blinky out.

Also, blinky takes down xclock. I can't fix that myself.

lior2b, the current maintainer of blinky, is on holiday.

So, will hold release of 1.0.8 over an extra day, release on
Thursday 23rd.

Thanks for reporting it!
lior2b

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2006, 20:45    Post subject:  

Back in town Smile

Read here:
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=38646#38646

Thank you jeffrey!

jeffrey

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb 2006, 20:59    Post subject:  

You're welcome. I'd really like a useable blinky so I'm happy to test it.
Puppy 1.0.7 is a wonderful product.
Puppy 1.0.8 would be that little bit better with a well-behaved blinky...
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: