Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 23:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
How much does a router enhance the security?
Post_new_topic   Topic_locked View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
RolfBa

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 08:06    Post_subject:  How much does a router enhance the security?
Sub_title: Several security related questions - router, SDHC, Windows and Linux partitions

Friends,

Router

I have found a lot of useful information already so thank you very much for the contribution.

If you have a router between yourself and your computers, how much does this increase the security? I have been told that the router would not respond to hacker commands since it is not a computer at all. Thus it would be impossible to reach any computer behind the router.

How true is that?

SDHC

It is obviously possible to install Puppy to SDHC and then set it to read-only so no harm could be done to it.

I suppose you can also use to store files just in general and have Puppy boot from a CD?

I would find it a bit simpler to store the files I need to upload to my hosting account, then set it to read only and hook up using SFTP.

Good idea?

Windows and Linux partitions.

There are programs for Windows making it possible to access Linux partitions.

If I store some files on a Linux partition using these programs and my Windows partition gets infected, will it spread to the Linux partition as well?

Would it be harder for a hacker to get access to the Linux partition when the computer is running Windows than a Windows partition?

I would be very pleased to hear from you!

Best wishes
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 08:48    Post_subject:  

Rolf, please split this up into separate posts so each question has its own thread. The forum works better that way. Smile
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Topic_locked View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum