Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
Karl Godt

#46 Post by Karl Godt »

Such never happened before :

There had been always complains about initrd.gz

and now its my turn !

the initrd wrote some dirs and driver files to /lib/modules/2.6.31.14

booting wary-094 frugal installed to /wary-094 folder on top level of MacPup on ext2 fs.
Attachments
wary094loadingMacpupFullInstallOnFirstBoot.jpg
(84.39 KiB) Downloaded 1150 times

Billtoo

Re: Missing FF packages...

#47 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote: Claws is now an independent fork from Sylpheed-Claws, so, please, could kind coder compile Claws? Would recommend it replace Sylpheed in the .pet list, although EudoraOSE 1.0 would be even better.
I'm no coder but I did compile claws mail and it seems to work but I don't know for sure, anyhow the attached file shows what I did and maybe tronkel would make the two pets necessary since he has a site to post them on,yikes, I shouldn't volunteer other people to help.
Attachments
clawsmail.scrn.jpg
(146.93 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

tronkel

#48 Post by tronkel »

@sage

Just been checking out the possibility of compiling Thunderbird. A cinch in Ubuntu, but very problematic for Wary by the looks of it. EudoraOSE sounds like a good idea, but is likely to be as problematical in Wary as Thunderbird is.

Claws-Mail may be a better idea for Wary. It's a nice program too. If my memory seves me correctly, I once had a go with compiling Claws-Mail. The main program was fine, but the plugins were a problem to compile - can't remember why.

However things may have improved by this time as regards the compiling possibilites here. How vital are the plugins for you?

I'll look into this anyway and get back if I have any joy.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Sage

#49 Post by Sage »

There's another recent thread which discusses Eudora. Someone did do a compile but not for this Wary. As I remember, there was a size issue, but perhaps not too serious? Curious to know whether the Mozilla Foundation completely destroyed Eudora or improved it. I detest Thunderbird with it's obvious bloat, lack of intuitive nature, clumsiness and unacceptable missing functionality. It is said that Thunderbird now incorporates Eudora code; let's hope that the reverse is not true!
As for Claws plug-ins, not my bag, although I'd like a read-ahead function for collecting email addresses from the addressbook and a better header display like blah-blah from Eudora. Claws doesn't seem to have alternative date format displays, either? More transatlantic myopia?!

tronkel

#50 Post by tronkel »

Na, no-go with claws-mail so far

Configures and builds fine, but no SSL available (therefore no IMAP) even with gnutils and openssl installed and configured.

Crashes as well. Bummer.

Billtoo

EudoraOSE

#51 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:There's another recent thread which discusses Eudora. Someone did do a compile but not for this Wary. As I remember, there was a size issue, but perhaps not too serious? Curious to know whether the Mozilla Foundation completely destroyed Eudora or improved it. I detest Thunderbird with it's obvious bloat, lack of intuitive nature, clumsiness and unacceptable missing functionality. It is said that Thunderbird now incorporates Eudora code; let's hope that the reverse is not true!
I downloaded the EudoraOSE tar file from https://wiki.mozilla.org/Eudora_OSE and unpacked it, then went into the Eudora directory that it created and just clicked on the Eudora file and away it went.I dragged that file to the desktop and just clicking on it starts Eudora.I found the proper icon in the chrome subdirectory of the Eudora directory and after right clicking on the desktop icon and moving up one item to "file Eudora" you can use the proper icon.
I hope this helps.

The only mail reader that I use is Pidgin for my hotmail account so I know nothing about claws or Eudora.

edit: Sage: Eudora works on my hotmail account.
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#52 Post by DaveS »

Tronkel... using your SM2.0.10. Very solid. think I might extract dbus and make an sfs of seamonkey. I already have an sfs of dbus that works nicely. That way I can make it simply available to all puppies on my drive.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#53 Post by tronkel »

DaveS wrote:
Tronkel... using your SM2.0.10. Very solid. think I might extract dbus and make an sfs of seamonkey
Or do you need a pet with Seamonkey 2.0.10 but without the dbus stuff included? If so I'll build it.

DaveS

#54 Post by DaveS »

tronkel wrote:DaveS wrote:
Tronkel... using your SM2.0.10. Very solid. think I might extract dbus and make an sfs of seamonkey
Or do you need a pet with Seamonkey 2.0.10 but without the dbus stuff included? If so I'll build it.
No, an sfs works better as it can be shared. Thanks though....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#55 Post by Sage »

Billtoo: Genius strikes when you least expect it! Thanks a bunch. [Hotmail is M$ isn't it? Don't trust that organisation!]. *

For reasons I forget (but there were some) I typed <poweroff> in a console. Locked solid. Did strange things when I did a hard reset (FULL), too, but eventually recovered everything. Probably I shouldn't have done it, but then...

*Update: did all that. Clicked both eudora & eudora-bin - zilch. Tried moving to /opt from /root. Nothing! Tried a load of stuff like trying to run from the command line - no joy. Remember I don't do SW - so if there's some little thing extra that an experienced SW chappie does, I would need to be told!
Last edited by Sage on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#56 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:Billtoo: Genius strikes when you least expect it! Thanks a bunch. [Hotmail is M$ isn't it? Don't trust that organisation!].
You are welcome, yes it is M$, I've had that account for years and no problems yet,I don't use it much except for a linux magazine that comes every month and I also get spam from companies whose products I've purchased, HP,Sony,etc.When you register a purchase they like to keep in touch. :)
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:26, edited 2 times in total.

Sage

#57 Post by Sage »

Edit supra.

Billtoo

#58 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:
*Update: did all that. Clicked both eudora & eudora-bin - zilch. Tried moving to /opt from /root. Nothing! Tried a load of stuff like trying to run from the command line - no joy. Remember I don't do SW - so if there's some little thing extra that an experienced SW chappie does, I would need to be told!
The file that works for me is eudora, see it on the desktop under the connect icon.

The two screenshots show changing to the proper icon by dragging and dropping after right clicking on the one under the connect icon.

edit: I have the wary_devx_094.sfs installed, do you? It's available in the same place that you got the wary 094 iso if you don't. To install the devx to a full install I always use SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet which is available on the forum (extra software thread) although I haven't tried it yet in wary 094 because I'm running off a flash drive with a save file.
Attachments
eudoraiconscrn2.jpg
(76.56 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
eudoraiconscrn1.jpg
(87.46 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 23:42, edited 2 times in total.

tronkel

#59 Post by tronkel »

@sage

If Eudora basically runs in Wary, but you can't get it to start, then it's probably some minor thing with the set up.

If my eyesight is up to it later, I'll download a working Eudora tarball and set up a pet package that runs on my hardware. If it then refuses to run on yours, the reason will probably be some missing library or package on your system.

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Gee, t'anks guys. No, I don't have the devx, nor the SFS installer - but now I know how & why. Work in progress...

Later: did an exact search for <SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet > on both the Forum and BK's blog - nil results in both cases. Found a 'Linker' but not an 'Installer'. Any chance of a clue, please?!

More: the devx file seems to self load to an .sfs which can be toggled by a right click. However, Eudora still doesn't come up.

Billtoo

Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback

#61 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote:Gee, t'anks guys. No, I don't have the devx, nor the SFS installer - but now I know how & why. Work in progress...

Later: did an exact search for <SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet > on both the Forum and BK's blog - nil results in both cases. Found a 'Linker' but not an 'Installer'. Any chance of a clue, please?!
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44765 for the sfs installer.

I'm afraid installing the devx might not solve your problem
because I've got 3 094 installs on flash drives and eudora *works* on
all of them *but* I tried booting the live cd and creating a save file
and then upacked the eudora tar file and eudora wouldn't run with or
without the devx installed.

I don't know what's special about the flash drive install but three
flash drive installs on 3 computers eudora works and live with a save
file it doesn't.
Sorry but I'm out of ideas :( , other than try using bootflash to
create the same thing that I have and try that, with the devx
installed just in case.

edit: I created those flash drive installs in 092 and bootflash wasn't
working properly in 092 because it would only copy 4 files to the
flash drive and not all that was needed so I used bootflash and when
it was finished I clicked on the flash drive to mount it, then
clicked on the 094 iso file to mount that too, then I highlighted all
of the files in the iso and copied them to the bootflash drive, the
bootflash drive worked fine after doing that.

irishrm

wary 094 crash

#62 Post by irishrm »

Had a systems crash while playing video with mplayer. This resulted in having to do a hard shut down. Re-booted OK but had a complete loss of sound and the sound applet disappeared from the tray. This is the second time this has happened with a usb install. Did a clean re-install after first crash-Irishrm

DaveS

Re: wary 094 crash

#63 Post by DaveS »

irishrm wrote:Had a systems crash while playing video with mplayer. This resulted in having to do a hard shut down. Re-booted OK but had a complete loss of sound and the sound applet disappeared from the tray. This is the second time this has happened with a usb install. Did a clean re-install after first crash-Irishrm
Were you streaming the video from the internet while watching? If so, the probable cause of the crash is you 'save file becoming full. Mplayer uses the browser cache rather than setting up a cache in /temp, so if you have a small save file this can happen. I speak from experience :(
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

Fiddled around a bit more, got all the files, but, as you suspected, nothing worked.
Firstly, I should say how very grateful I am to you, Billtoo, for your patience, assistance, and perseverance; tronk, as well. Please hold that in mind whilst I explain where I'm coming from. I don't do SW - I hate it, it bores me to tears with all that coding, CLI, file loading, drivers, la, la, la. HW is my bag, right down to component level. Nothing pleases me more than tracking down a spurious HW fault, identifying obscure components with burnt or no labels and finding a compat. that puts everything right again. I reckon I do my 'job' well - better than most. When it comes to mod-ing cpu, just send it over. I can remove sm components, ICs, BIOSes and resolder them with an ordinary soldering iron. I fix other electrical and electronic stuff straight from the skip. So then it comes SW....
So that's my little story. I guess we all need each other, but we all have our limitations.

tronkel

#65 Post by tronkel »

@sage

Try this pet package for EudoraOSE

get it here:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-496cad90.html

This is the binary package from the Eudora site
I've included the dbus stuff in the pet. If you try to install and run Eudora running from a live Wary CD, it won't run because the dbus stuff is not installed by default. This runs OK now on my hardware in Wary 0.9.4. If you want it as an sfs I can convert it for you.