'Remaster livecd'' & 'Save to file'

Using applications, configuring, problems
Yogi

'Remaster livecd'' & 'Save to file'

#1 Post by Yogi »

Hi all,
I've spent the last three days remastering 3.01 White Fang and was real pleased with the result (Opera, Dillo, MOCP, 28 games and more - 54MB) when I noticed something I've never seen nor read about in the Forum. At the first shutdown/reboot opportunity it reports this: "No suitable partitions to save to". My hard drive has three partitions plus a swap partition: hda1 - hda4 and it doesn't "see" any of them. The Remastering live-cd process exhibits the same problem - the only partition it now offers is RAM. I'm pretty sure this is my fault because during the dozen or so "remasterings" this didn't happen. But I do recall a couple iterations ago (~ 4 a.m.) this problem surfaced and I dismissed it as an anomaly. But now I realize it wasn't. Here's what it does correctly: pmount recognizes/mounts all partitions, partview reports all mounted partitions, pdisk "sees" them too.
In the course of stripping/adding applications I must have inadvertently impacted this critical feature. Creating a Save File is a real plus for Puppy and normally so easy to do. I'd hate to have to start all over if it's something relatively easy that I've overlooked. At this point I'm stumped! Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Yogi

soundNICK

Re: 'Remaster livecd'' & 'Save to file'

#2 Post by soundNICK »

Yogi wrote:Hi all,
<snip> At the first shutdown/reboot opportunity it reports this: "No suitable partitions to save to". <snip>

Yogi
I know the remastering process has a lot of unexpected bugs,
but I've never seen this one. I would like to think this message
means the remastering program has been "improved" on your distro,
and does a search to find a drive where the savefile will work
without problems... absolutely my only guess on this.

This, in fact, is the problem which plagued my remastering
effort for a very long time, so its very conceivable this is the
"fix" some programmer has come up with ?

Possibly, try saving to a spare USB drive when it asks ?

Yogi

"SOLVED" 'Remaster livecd' & 'Save to file'

#3 Post by Yogi »

FYI

In my zeal to downsize the iso size I deleted "MUT mount/unmount drives". I figured this distro had two apps (i.e. MUT and Pmount) that did the same thing so why not just use one. I kept Pmount instead. Lesson learned.

soundNICK

Re: "SOLVED" 'Remaster livecd' & 'Save to file'

#4 Post by soundNICK »

Yogi wrote:FYI

In my zeal to downsize the iso size I deleted "MUT mount/unmount drives". I figured this distro had two apps (i.e. MUT and Pmount) that did the same thing so why not just use one. I kept Pmount instead. Lesson learned.
Im glad for two reasons...that you got it fixed

/and/

that this isnt another remastering bug after all :-)