Simply, Teaching Puppy to SAMBA (share folders to LAN users)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
gcmartin

#61 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Johnywhy. I know nothing of operations of Wine in Linux. I am aware of what it provides, but havent used it in over a decade.

But, that said, There are only less than a handful of PUPs which use any current version of SAMBA which uses current SMB protocols. Most PUPs, in fact, do NOT use a current SAMBA V4 client where the worldwide SAMBA consortium works to insure up to date behavior. In other words, most PUPs ONLY use the SAMBA V3 client and NOT the complete SAMBA.

That said, I wonder if Wine or the Wine app is expecting to see one SAMBA to drive thru only to run into another unexpectedly.

There is one PUP distro contributor, @StemSee who has created EmSee 32bit-64bit distro which has WINE builtin to see if your app behaves as you expect versus this problem as you are witnessing. It has a very recent SAMBA and you need not install anything to accomplish your test(s). And, with that distro, you can share content you create as well with your LAN neighbors.

I do realize that this does NOT solve your current problem, but, it could offer ideas should your app run without issues.

There may be others in the forum, much more knowledgeable on WINE, who may have better answers for the problem you share.

johnywhy

#62 Post by johnywhy »

thank you very much for the info and suggestion, gcmartin. You def know more than me on this topic.

i'll check it out! Downloading EmSee-2nd-Edition_5.8.1.iso right now.

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

vektor_alian

#63 Post by vektor_alian »

I use Pupserver 435 at archive.org

mikeslr

Windows 10 is "touchy" about SAMBA

#64 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Thought this was a good place to provide a link to grogster's post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 06#1001406 in which he notes that "Windows 10 is a little touchy with Samba shares", provides details of how he accomplished it with a reference to the "How To" he relied on.

mikesLr