Simply, Teaching Puppy to SAMBA (share folders to LAN users)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
gcmartin

#46 Post by gcmartin »

rmcellig wrote:What am I doing wrong? I am using Puppy 528 in a Full install

sh-4.1# mkdir /srv/Downloads
mkdir: cannot create directory `/srv/Downloads': No such file or directory
This works in all Linux'es.

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /srv/Downloads
it was mentioned in an earlier post.

Linux mkdir requires use of -p parm to create multi-level directories from current location.

Hope this helps

01micko

#47 Post by 01micko »

Since I have had cause to be working alot with Samba lately one thing was annoying me. No simple solution to map a network drive from a pup client.

This little script does just that and plonks an icon on the desktop, unmountable too. (only if you use rox as a desktop). It also puts a link in $HOME, in case you don't use rox desktop.

I made it mainly for myself but why not share?

You can run the script from wherever you want, also has a Startup item which has a 2 minute timeout. It only supports one share, use Pnethood if you want to mount more shares.

It has a very simple setup gui. Everything you need should be in recent Pups, (mount.cifs, nmblookup). No need for samba to use this from a client only machine. It automatically overlays all your current icon themes with the SMB logo and makes a new icon called drivesmb48.png. Try switching icon themes 8) .

Have fun!

EDIT: almost forgot, the smb logo! You must place it in /usr/share/icons or the script will die.
Attachments
smb_overlay.png
put this in /usr/share/icons
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 2057 times
map_drive.tar.gz
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 1203 times
netdrive.png
(25.81 KiB) Downloaded 1984 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

gcmartin

#48 Post by gcmartin »

01micko wrote:Since I have had cause to be working alot with Samba lately one thing was annoying me. No simple solution to map a network drive from a pup client.

This little script does just that and plonks an icon on the desktop, unmountable too. (only if you use rox as a desktop). It also puts a link in $HOME, in case you don't use rox desktop.

I made it mainly for myself but why not share?

You can run the script from wherever you want, also has a Startup item which has a 2 minute timeout. It only supports one share, use Pnethood if you want to mount more shares.

It has a very simple setup gui. Everything you need should be in recent Pups, (mount.cifs, nmblookup). No need for samba to use this from a client only machine. It automatically overlays all your current icon themes with the SMB logo and makes a new icon called drivesmb48.png. Try switching icon themes 8) .

Have fun!

EDIT: almost forgot, the smb logo! You must place it in /usr/share/icons or the script will die.
Great.

Another idea: TaZoC's LH64b4. If you're still has his running, look at his OOTB smb.conf. There is mention in the Global section for use of simlinks and allowing LAN use of these.

I also believe that I "may" have simlinked using your SLACKO-SAMBA as well, but, I'll have to check when I'm home again on that.

Mind you, this relates to, say, using the Public folder in my "SAMBA Simple Management" widget to "extend" what is shared via that "common" locaton.

Hope this is in the same forest as your post.
Attachments
SSM screen.png
SAMBA Simple Management Widget
(36.68 KiB) Downloaded 2030 times

evilbrent

#49 Post by evilbrent »

# smbd -restart 
# nmbd - restart
should be

# smbd - restart 
# nmbd - restart
(space required before first "restart"??)

Thanks so much for this. Very easy to use. I was up and running almost straight away!

ahoppin

#50 Post by ahoppin »

Thanks to the contributors here, I was able to implement Samba on Puppy with ease. In contrast to several years ago when I tried to get Samba working on a Red Hat box - and failed miserably - this time the practical examples got me up and running in a short evening. I was even able to add my Windows users so my few remaining Windows boxes (Win98 and Win2k, nothing later) can log in automagically.

Part of what makes Puppy a success is the teamwork and camaraderie of this forum. Thanks again.

The only further issue that I'd like to see discussed here would be security. My router blocks smb requests from the Internet, so when I had a lot of Windows boxes, I never worried much about my privacy. Is there anything I should be concerned about with Samba?

perky

#51 Post by perky »

Opps, wrong thread. Sorry!

reycazador

Re: Simply, Teaching Puppy to SAMBA (share folders to LAN users)

#52 Post by reycazador »

[quote="gcmartin"]Digressing for a moment to “level set

gcmartin

#53 Post by gcmartin »

You can add or change password(s) or any user you define. If you have never set up the user before, you would do an add.

# smbpasswd -a firsttimeusername
If its an existing user that you had added before there is no need to add.

# smbpasswd
If you have not already done so, one option for the very 1st time is to set your root system password to be your SAMBA root password. Assuming you are using a standard Puppy where you are the root user, I do this with ONLY this command (exactly as you see it):

# smbpasswd -a
There is much information on the Internet as most everyone uses it in distro releases.

A Google such on any topic will also net you an abundance of useful ideas.

Here to help

slavvo67

#54 Post by slavvo67 »

GCMartin:

This is a good post but before I try it...

Are those original presumptions still valid or can we be using a newer puppy and/or Samba? I see your original post is a bit dated, now.

Best,

Slavvo67

gcmartin

#55 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Slavvo67

There is a newer thread. Which distro are you working?

slavvo67

#56 Post by slavvo67 »

Fluxpup. In the words of OldYeller "FluxPup 1.5.1 is 185mb kernel is 3.2.48-nopae-i486-f2fs-aufs-smp-isa-precise. 1 correction, I also have the PAE on one machine.

I'm not sure if it has Samba installed, already. It should.

gcmartin

2014 Full-SAMBA and Instructions

#57 Post by gcmartin »

I don't believe so. And, SAMBA V4.x is the very latest as it includes newer LAN protocols than the older SAMBA's V3 found on the forum, in many PUP distros, do not include.There is no particular reason for this except merely oversight. 01Micko has made his SAMBA V4 PETs available to any developer upon request. His version have a builtin Menu utility to insure easy simple SAMBA use (and understanding) when installed on any PUP.

These new protocols have been built into newer manufactured devices and have been built-into MACs and Windows for sharing for years before SAMBA V4.

The other thread is here. See this thread for some more accurate information of SAMBA distros use in Puppyland.

I have been given a 2014 Full-SAMBA PET here for 32bit Slacko users

sketchman

#58 Post by sketchman »

Followed this guide (in principle) many times to setup SAMBA. Finally built a dedicated NAS, and I went through it again.

Thanks for this. I do this stuff just enough to never remember how to do it when I need to.

One thing though. At least in Tahrpup if you install via the package manager, the smb.conf file is in /etc/samba not /etc/opt/samba. That should save some irritation.

Also in Tahrpup auto-install for SAMBA doesn't work for me. Have to use the old style GUI to get it to actually install. Otherwise it looks as if everything is fine, but none of the commands work, because the actual SAMBA package doesn't get installed. No idea why.

Thanks again for this. Saved my butt more than once.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

gcmartin

#59 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Sketchman.

You brought to my attention a problem with that thread's opening post. That post was done in the days of SAMBA V3. And, the post does NOT make it apparent that there is a newer thread which addresses SAMBA VERSION 4 and all the up to date, redesigned system changes and security updates that are a part of SAMBA V4 (SAMBA4).

I will update that opening post. In the meantime, here's the link to the newer PUP thread. ===> look at this thread The newer thread will soon be updated with guides for later PUPs that have come out over the last 2 quarters.

I encourage anyone installing SAMBA in any of today's PUPs to install SAMBA4. It is 3X smaller and its execution is streamlined with better security. BTW, SAMBA3 is no longer going to be supported by world's community SAMBA developers (a testament to how good SAMBA4 has become), AFAIK.

Of course, SAMBA development is open and can be found at SAMBA.org.

johnywhy

#60 Post by johnywhy »

hi

my wine says:

err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winemp3.acm": libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
isn't that a samba thing? ppm says samba client is already installed.

note, this was not doing anything related to shares or samba, that i know of. Just trying to run basic wine stuff.

do i also need winbind and/or libpam-winbind from ppm?

on LxPupPrecise-14.02-pae-sp1: Linux puppypc4369 3.9.11 #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 19:40:54 GMT-8 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

thx!
(also asked elsewhere on this forum, no solution yet)
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

gcmartin

#61 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Johnywhy. I know nothing of operations of Wine in Linux. I am aware of what it provides, but havent used it in over a decade.

But, that said, There are only less than a handful of PUPs which use any current version of SAMBA which uses current SMB protocols. Most PUPs, in fact, do NOT use a current SAMBA V4 client where the worldwide SAMBA consortium works to insure up to date behavior. In other words, most PUPs ONLY use the SAMBA V3 client and NOT the complete SAMBA.

That said, I wonder if Wine or the Wine app is expecting to see one SAMBA to drive thru only to run into another unexpectedly.

There is one PUP distro contributor, @StemSee who has created EmSee 32bit-64bit distro which has WINE builtin to see if your app behaves as you expect versus this problem as you are witnessing. It has a very recent SAMBA and you need not install anything to accomplish your test(s). And, with that distro, you can share content you create as well with your LAN neighbors.

I do realize that this does NOT solve your current problem, but, it could offer ideas should your app run without issues.

There may be others in the forum, much more knowledgeable on WINE, who may have better answers for the problem you share.

johnywhy

#62 Post by johnywhy »

thank you very much for the info and suggestion, gcmartin. You def know more than me on this topic.

i'll check it out! Downloading EmSee-2nd-Edition_5.8.1.iso right now.

thx!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

vektor_alian

#63 Post by vektor_alian »

I use Pupserver 435 at archive.org

mikeslr

Windows 10 is "touchy" about SAMBA

#64 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Thought this was a good place to provide a link to grogster's post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 06#1001406 in which he notes that "Windows 10 is a little touchy with Samba shares", provides details of how he accomplished it with a reference to the "How To" he relied on.

mikesLr