Evercookies: extremely persistent browser cookies

For discussions about security.
jpeps

#46 Post by jpeps »

nooby wrote:And if one turn of java then many sites refuse to let one make a comment or write in their forum or to read the text until one allow at least the major Ad provider to show their ad and then one see the text one look for.

So it is not easy. I try to use NoScript in FireFox but Opera and Chrome have their own Ad blockers and those are too difficult for me to learn how to use.

So I am kind of locked to use FireFox and as far as I know they have no addon yet for an EverCookie?

It's lots easier to mark and replace changed files from a mozilla backup.
If you want to add passwords, etc., then mark/replace changed files to the backup. I delete all flash LSO's every session.
But are EverCookie being used now on many sites? First I thought that almost every big site used them and now I rad that it is only a concept a guy showed off and almost none use them but that in the future maybe a lot of sites would?
Follow the money; evercookies and variations thereof are already being sold.

jrb

#47 Post by jrb »

I have developed a strategy to fight against these demonic creations. :x Please see Fighting Persistant Cookies and eliminating bloat

nooby

#48 Post by nooby »

Thanks jrb, interesting approach.

Fighting Persistant Cookies and eliminating bloat
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62391

Here is another approach, to go the legal way to give us rights to not be followed around.

Anti-tracking initiative gets US government support

* 22:04 01 December 2010 by Jim Giles

The system, known as Do Not Track, received a vote of confidence today from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the US government agency responsible for protecting consumers.

The commission said that it wants companies that track our movements across the web, such as advertising firms, to use Do Not Track to give consumers an easy way to opt out of such monitoring.
Now how can we trust them, maybe best to also make things like jrb suggests
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#49 Post by Flash »

http://ashkansoltani.org/docs/respawn_redux.html
RESPAWN REDUX

(Follow up to Flash Cookies and Privacy II)

Ashkan Soltani

08/11/2011

I thought I'd take the time to elaborate a bit further regarding the technical mechanisms described in our 'Flash Cookies and Privacy II' paper that generated a bit of buzz recently. For a bit of background, I, along with Chris Hoofnagle and Nathan Good, had the honor of supervising Mika Ayenson and Dietrich J. Wambach in replicating our previous 2009 study which found that websites were circumventing user choice by deliberately restoring previously deleted HTTP cookies using persistent storage outside of the control of the browser (a practice we dubbed ‘respawning’).
In our follow up study, we found that Hulu was still respawning deleted user cookies using homegrown Flash and Javascript code present on the Hulu.com site. Additionally, Hulu, Spotify, and many others were also respawning using code provided by analytics firm KISSmetrics (Hulu and KISSmetrics have both ceased respawning as of July 29th 2011.) Hitten Shah, the founder of KISSmetrics, initially confirmed that the research surrounding respawning was correct in an interview with Ryan Singel although he later criticized the findings after a lawsuit was filed.....
It continues with a technical description of how respawning works, etc..

nooby

#50 Post by nooby »

Thanks, it shows how eager them are to know if one click on ads or not?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though