Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Aug 2014, 02:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Kernel Panic, Lulu-511-cd won't boot [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
thoase

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 08:41    Post subject:  Kernel Panic, Lulu-511-cd won't boot [SOLVED]
Subject description: Lulu-511 Kernel Panic

I downloaded Lulu-511 and burned the iso-file. But when I'm trying to start/boot from the CD, I get these messages:

EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_get_inode: unable to read inodeblock - inode=57346, block=229443

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemted to kill init!

--

Hmmm, what's wrong.

I usually boot a USB-stick with a 431-version. My idea was to have look at the new PL and then upgrade my USB-stick.

Last edited by thoase on Thu 09 Dec 2010, 11:24; edited 1 time in total
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 14:49    Post subject: Re: Kernel Panic, Lulu-511-cd won't boot

thoase wrote:
I downloaded Lulu-511 and burned the iso-file. But when I'm trying to start/boot from the CD, I get these messages:

EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_get_inode: unable to read inodeblock - inode=57346, block=229443

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attemted to kill init!

--

Hmmm, what's wrong.

I usually boot a USB-stick with a 431-version. My idea was to have look at the new PL and then upgrade my USB-stick.

What kind of machine? (e.g. CPU speed, RAM, perhaps even previous OS -- which might tell us approximately how old the hardware is)

I've seen kernel panics occur for many different reasons, but often hardware incompatibility.

It's possible that you may need a "Retro" version (e.g. 4.3.1 Retro), if your machine is quite old.

thoase

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 15:40    Post subject:  

3-4 year old HP DC7100, 3,2 GHz, 3 GB memory

No problem with PL 4.3 booting from USB and CD!
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 15:45    Post subject:  

thoase wrote:
3-4 year old HP DC7100, 3,2 GHz, 3 GB memory

No problem with PL 4.3 booting from USB and CD!

That should be plenty new for 5.1.1.

I've actually seen quite a few reports of kernel panic for 5.1.1.

Out of curiosity, did you confirm the md5 of your .iso, and did you confirm the burn (I use ImgBurn under Windows for this -- it automatically confirms that the burn matches).

Some burners run way too fast, which results in a bad CD image (I recall several reported problems cleared up when re-burned).

thoase

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 15:58    Post subject:  

How do I "confirm the md5 of your .iso," as you say? I also use ImgBurn.

But now when I look in my folder Puppy-folder it's only the iso-file. Perhaps I should get the md5-file. But how do I confirm it in ImgBurn?
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 20:02    Post subject:  

Imgburn is ok to use, but don't expect a confirmation for md5.
Get the md5sum from the site you downloaded the iso from.
Right click on the iso and you'll have an option to check the md5sum (in puppy) Compare.
If you wan to do this in Windows, there is facility as well, but I think you have to download a kinda md5sum check exe first.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct 2010, 20:17    Post subject:  

md5sum
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/md5sum

thoase

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 02:42    Post subject:  

Is it possible to download a torrent-file for the iso-file? Then the checksum should be correct!
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 11:04    Post subject:  

thoase wrote:
Is it possible to download a torrent-file for the iso-file? Then the checksum should be correct!

Well, if you have a decent link, you'll generally get a good copy also.

Most problems seem to occur during the burn process (but ImgBurn performs a checksum of the ISO image against the burned disk -- so I have to believe that the disk matches the image). One other thing you could do is put the disk in, pull up ImgBurn and have it re-verify the disk against the image (sometimes burned CD disks "go bad" -- i.e. drop bits, sometimes quite quickly -- as they drive the price down, so goes the quality)

It's worth checking the md5, but I'm betting that the problem is a hardware compatibility issue. If the problem persists, I would try 4.3.1 to see if it works.

BTW, I use "md5deep" for my md5 work (does a nice job of traversing folder trees, etc -- I sometimes like to md5 the contents of my drive -- I use it to look for duplicate files).

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 17:08    Post subject: OFF TRACK  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
I sometimes like to md5 the contents of my drive -- I use it to look for duplicate files).
Can you explain a little more about that?
Use peppyy's puppysearch
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 18:00    Post subject: Re: OFF TRACK  

Béèm wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
I sometimes like to md5 the contents of my drive -- I use it to look for duplicate files).

I use something like:

Code:
md5deep -rz * > tree.md5
sort < tree.md5 > junk.txt

Now the size-sorted file list sits in junk.txt ("-z" gives this), and has an md5, so you know the adjacent files are not only the same size, but truly identical.

I actually tinkered together a Fortran code to do the comparison, and output a list to inspect, before creating a batch file to perform the deletion of duplicates (a little dangerous, BTW -- so I always inspect the list first).

Typically, if I have known duplicate collections, I name the folder that is less ideal (perhaps less-well sorted or renamed, etc) so it appears at the bottom of the directory list, say: "zzzdeletethiscrap"

I generally sort the batch output, and chop all those entries that are not in "zzzdeletethiscrap" (since they must exist in the "master" collection).

Béèm

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct 2010, 18:19    Post subject: Re: OFF TRACK  

RetroTechGuy wrote:
Béèm wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

I use something like:

Code:
md5deep -rz * > tree.md5

Now the size-sorted file list sits in junk.txt ("-z" gives this), and has an md5, so you know the adjacent files are not only the same size, but truly identical.

I actually tinkered together a Fortran code to do the comparison, and output a list to inspect, before creating a batch file to perform the deletion of duplicates (a little dangerous, BTW -- so I always inspect the list first).

Typically, if I have known duplicate collections, I name the folder that is less ideal (perhaps less-well sorted or renamed, etc) so it appears at the bottom of the directory list, say: "zzzdeletethiscrap"

I generally sort the batch output, and chop all those entries that are not in "zzzdeletethiscrap" (since they must exist in the "master" collection).
Thank you for the quick answer.
In fact asked it as regularly I loose also space in the save file. Some times all of a sudden 1MB some times after a while.

I tried with pfind and date, but I didn't get a good indication.
All the known tricks like SeaMonkey or FireFox settings are done.
Sometimes space is returned after a reboot, sometimes not.

I don't install pet's, but try to install the corresponding program out side the save file. know that sometimes a configuration is added for it /root and this can cause some consummation of the save file, so in that case I check this.

Specially OpenOffice is very keen on this when installing extensions, but I managed to have it all outside the save file.

There are a lot of questions about this subject in the beginners section.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct 2010, 00:01    Post subject: Re: OFF TRACK  

Béèm wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
Béèm wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:

I use something like:

Code:
md5deep -rz * > tree.md5

Thank you for the quick answer.
In fact asked it as regularly I loose also space in the save file. Some times all of a sudden 1MB some times after a while.

I tried with pfind and date, but I didn't get a good indication.
All the known tricks like SeaMonkey or FireFox settings are done.
Sometimes space is returned after a reboot, sometimes not.

I don't install pet's, but try to install the corresponding program out side the save file. know that sometimes a configuration is added for it /root and this can cause some consummation of the save file, so in that case I check this.

Specially OpenOffice is very keen on this when installing extensions, but I managed to have it all outside the save file.

There are a lot of questions about this subject in the beginners section.

The tool that I wrote isn't a good "beginner" tool.

I primarily use it to purge large duplicates -- for example, multiple copies of ISOs of the various versions of Puppy (I have a number of external drives, and copying things back and forth often results in duplicate collections of crap -- that I forget about, then rediscover, then need to sort...).

Using the stuff above, you will note that a basic pupsave /root/ will contain a number of duplicates -- I would not purge those...

Also, I believe that sort parameters can be adjusted to give an actual sort of size (since standard sort will usually put a file of 9 bytes next to a file of 90000000 bytes)

If you can get a true sort by numerical size, this makes md5deep more useful, as the 100MB files will be sorted together at the bottom of the file (find the "big hitters" right away, without needing a more complex comparison/analysis)

shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 16 Oct 2010, 07:01    Post subject: Re: Kernel Panic, Lulu-511-cd won't boot

thoase wrote:

The Puppy reading your pupsave(lupusave) and the file may be corrupt.
Type 'pfix=ram' at the boot prompt.
Or, try LupQ.

thoase

PostPosted: Thu 09 Dec 2010, 11:24    Post subject:  

I used 'pfix=ram' at the boot prompt and it fixed the problem!
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: