EliteOS 1.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
amigo

#61 Post by amigo »

I also find it rather odd that some people shirk from the idea of paying for software -but have no qualms at all about paying for their internet connection...

It's just another manifestation of a common ailment of our economies and societies -the loss of the sense of 'mutual benefit' between the two parties of any transaction.

I really would much rather pay a bit for something and know that the flow of funds is benefiting some hard-working individual, rather than have those funds just go to a large coporation (ISP).

greengeek

#62 Post by greengeek »

I was happy to pay for my copies of lowtechs Studio 4 and Studio 1337 because I felt that the price covered the cost of the usb sticks themselves, the cost of postage (to NZ!), and maybe a bit extra to cover email support (which I have used several times). I felt it was money well spent.

What I don't know is whether any GNU (etc) license terms were violated in the transaction. Actually I don't care too much because I feel sure that the purchase price certainly did not cover the obvious hours spent in development.

I don't have the smarts to be able to distinguish where "open source free license" ends and "I'm happy to pay for the development costs" begins but all I can say is that I feel I got my money's worth.

Anyway - Studio 2.1 (which I still use...), Studio 3.1 and Studio 3.3 are available free on the net so there are plenty of options for those who want/need free software.

There is a certain genius involved in breaking new ground, and I think lowtech was one of those who was capable of taking linux (and puppy) to new heights. (I still believe that synth and lowtech were clones....and that turbopup extreme and Studio xxx are stablemates). Unfortunately there is a grey area where existing licences fail to take into account the degree to which creative genius extends the boundaries and gives more than it takes.

I'd like to see the creativity that was behind EliteOS extend its original ability to "comes with tools for the physically-challenged and visually-impaired. ", but I understand that there is only so much one can ask for free of charge...