#32 Post by l0wt3ch »

EliteOS now has its own website!

eliteos.ca

dogle

#33 Post by dogle »

Said new website says
It's Linux, so there's no chance of viruses or malware
'no chance'? Hmm, revisit that?

Thanks anyway l0wt3ch. Perhaps you have been too kind in your gentle comments in this thread re. 'eldy'. This thread has prompted me to visit that site; I shall be less kind in my comments on that project:

Patronising, certainly

Vanity project; I would support the noble ambitions to the hilt but if they can't present a website in coherent English, BS alert. They appear to be silent as to the content/structure of the software.

The 'user manuals' (I looked at 2 languages before retreating in disgust) insist that you must have "Windows" on your computer, although the software is purportedly Linux and Mac friendly.

What a bummer! er, how disappointing, Vicar (POSMH! STINX!).

I guess this underlines the continuing burning need for software more friendly to the non-savvy, and I hope that EliteOS may play a part in this.

tlchost

#34 Post by tlchost »

dogle wrote: Vanity project; I would support the noble ambitions to the hilt but if they can't present a website in coherent English, BS alert.
The developers are Italian....their primary language is not English.
The 'user manuals' (I looked at 2 languages before retreating in disgust) insist that you must have "Windows" on your computer, although the software is purportedly Linux and Mac friendly.
I believe the English help manual clearly states that the software will run under Linux...but perhaps in your disgust you overlooked a few words.

l0wt3ch

#35 Post by l0wt3ch »

Rather than go with software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants, why not find a way to deliver a complete OS that anyone would like, and provide ready tools for accessibility?

l0wt3ch

#36 Post by l0wt3ch »

On the advice of a couple people on here, I installed Eldy as an application, but most features were broken, including the web browser. Pretty useless. So I contacted the developers, who told me to use Ubuntu.

Which is fine, as I didn't really want to include it in the first place.

dogle

#37 Post by dogle »

(Please forgive thread drift but re. Eldy -
I believe the English help manual clearly states that the software will run under Linux...but perhaps in your disgust you overlooked a few words.
Thom, no, the English/Limey/Greek/Swedish versions of the 'Eldy User's Manual' insist that "If you want to use eldy on you(r) pc, it has to: ... have Windows ...". p2 q.v.; no subsequent qualification.

I did, in my disgust, overlook the name of that guy DaCosta! ;-)
He, having done such admirable work in fixing a Puppy version, I would have though to be well placed (if the Eldy Hauptkommandantur is worth a light) to kick ass hard and swiftly to have that disgusting - nay, abominable! - untruth excised.

Some time ago ttuuxxx very kindly posted a quick synopsis of the salient issues which emerged when he was teaching seniors. Thom, if you can ever spare the time to share your more extensive experience in that field - perhaps in another thread - and your feedback on the value of Eldy/EliteOS/et al in that situation, it would be much appreciated.)

tlchost

#38 Post by tlchost »

dogle wrote:(Please forgive thread drift but re. Eldy -
Thom, no, the English/Limey/Greek/Swedish versions of the 'Eldy User's Manual' insist that "If you want to use eldy on you(r) pc, it has to: ... have Windows ...". p2 q.v.; no subsequent qualification.
Ah....the English, English Manual, not the US English manual, I stand corrected.
I did, in my disgust, overlook the name of that guy DaCosta! ;-)
Don't recognize that name.

My testing of Eldy leads me to belive that is it works well in Windows, and is constantly being improved. I do know it has a very large user base in Italy, with a healthy number of users in England....There is a well supported Linux version(Although I do not know the flavor) there, with a smaller base of Windows users.

As far as I know, no one has managed to get Eldy working in Puppy. I made an effort. I suspect there is some "working at cross purposes" between Puppy, Java and Eldy.

Since a large number of Eldy systems are installed and supported by volunteers(other than a paid situation in England), I suspect that not a lot of effort will be devoted to supporting it where the OS and the App don't work together. I know I won't install Eldy in Puppy and either give it to seniors or teach a class using it...the combination simply does not work.
Thom, if you can ever spare the time to share your more extensive experience in that field - perhaps in another thread - and your feedback on the value of Eldy/EliteOS/et al in that situation, it would be much appreciated.)
I'll pass...I have no interest is dealing with comments about an application that looks like it was designed by four year olds and cracks about elephants. The snide comments about something that does work, and is accepted by seniors put me off big time.

Since Eldy doesn't seem to work in Puppy, this forum is not appropriate. As far as seniors using Elite OS, I can't add anything to the discussion, since I don't use it, and would not introduce it to beginning computer users.

Thom

l0wt3ch

#39 Post by l0wt3ch »

tlchost wrote:I have no interest is dealing with comments about an application that looks like it was designed by four year olds and cracks about elephants.
For four-year-olds, Thom. Not by four-year-olds.

tlchost

#40 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:
tlchost wrote:I have no interest is dealing with comments about an application that looks like it was designed by four year olds and cracks about elephants.
For four-year-olds, Thom. Not by four-year-olds.
Oh, sorry for the mis-read....I'll share your observation with some of the seniors in my classes....I'm sure they will appreciate your wit.

Thom

l0wt3ch

#41 Post by l0wt3ch »

While you're at it, tell them that, while you think Eldy is good enough for them, it's not good enough for you.

Tell them that you personally use Puppy Linux. :)

tlchost

#42 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:While you're at it, tell them that, while you think Eldy is good enough for them, it's not good enough for you.

Tell them that you personally use Puppy Linux. :)
I have told them that I use Puppy Linux....and have also told them that while it may work for some folks, it will not work with Eldy....and have show them Puppy. The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy.

I have no OS ax or Application ax to grind....I simply teach people about tools that will help them.

It doesn't matter what's good enough for me....it matters what works best for my students.

l0wt3ch

#43 Post by l0wt3ch »

tlchost wrote:The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy
They certainly wouldn't feel that way about EliteOS. It's received praise for both its looks and ease-of-use.

But hey, don't get me wrong. There may be those who prefer "software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants". To each his own!

tlchost

#44 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:
tlchost wrote:The Non-geeks have a uniform reaction of Yuck to Puppy
They certainly wouldn't feel that way about EliteOS. It's received praise for both its looks and ease-of-use.
OK....exactly how many seniors are using it? Exactly how many learning centers are using it? Can you tell me how many agencies have endorsed it? By the way, could you list the number of cities that have adopted it as an official mechanisim for citizens to communicate with the government?

I suspect you can not.
But hey, don't get me wrong. There may be those who prefer "software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants". To each his own!
Oh please.....stop throwing stones. When your creation is accepted as well as Eldy has been, then you can crow about it....until then, calling names is pointless.

l0wt3ch

#45 Post by l0wt3ch »

I don't think anyone is name-calling, Thom.

Just saying that "Eldy" is dumbed-down and patronizing. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of what the European Union says.

"Here Mom - look it even has instant messaging, you can talk to other Eldy users. Well, it may not be the same software that big people use, but it should be good enough for you."

tlchost

#46 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:I don't think anyone is name-calling, Thom.
Your comments about 4 year olds and elephants are a credit to your wisdom and maturity.
Just saying that "Eldy" is dumbed-down and patronizing. I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone, regardless of what the European Union says.
And you put it so well....no doubt based on years of experience teaching and supporting seniors. I'm sure you can point to many organizations who hold you in high regard for your in-depth knowledge of teaching and senior citizens.
"Here Mom - look it even has instant messaging, you can talk to other Eldy users. Well, it may not be the same software that big people use, but it should be good enough for you."
Amazing....you just have to be a smart a**, and a sarcastic one too.

Of course you neglect to state how well accepted your product is, How many installations there are....and how many seniors you have trained.

l0wt3ch

#47 Post by l0wt3ch »

tlchost wrote:Amazing....you just have to be a smart a**, and a sarcastic one too.

Looks like you're the one name-calling.
tlchost wrote:Of course you neglect to state how well accepted your product is, How many installations there are....and how many seniors you have trained.
So... Windows?

You've been advocating "Eldy" for so long, you can't admit it looks like it's for children. Or might be patronizing. Or dumbed-down and crippled.

This thread is for people with questions about EliteOS. Stop spamming it.

tlchost

#48 Post by tlchost »

thank you for your comments

P123

Upgrade to 5.20

#49 Post by P123 »

Do you have plans to upgrade to Puppy 5.20?

My opinion on the themes/icons/wallpapers/fonts is that they are usually one of the first things I do to personalise any desktop anyway so why worry about it.

l0wt3ch

#50 Post by l0wt3ch »

Is there enough interest?