EliteOS 1.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tlchost

#16 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote: So what are you saying, the desktop is too minimal and non-"intutiative"?
I think so....but I am not a senior citizen who is new to computers. I'll show it to the class of seniors I am teaching and get their reaction. Not sure if you have done the same.

Thom

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

@lobster: I've looked into eldy (and now noob Very Happy ), and I don't think those fit with the concept of EliteOS.

Why settle for four buttons when you can have a rich, customized, desktop experience?
Understood. 8)

Many years ago Barry kindly allowed me to use Puppy as the basis of Linux Tmxxine
that was before the puplet naming convention.
and before this site had ads
http://peace.wikia.com/wiki/Tmxxine_Linux
http://tmxxine.com/tmx/

I have always made it clear that my derivations are based on Puppy
just not in every dimension

You might like to do the same with EliteOS as a courtesy
or are you intending a full fork? 8)

I feel you have a good niche and wish you every success . . .
One of the tutorials in twinkle might be available worldwide?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/computertutor/comp ... ndex.shtml

Puppy Linux
Silver surfer gold
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

l0wt3ch

#18 Post by l0wt3ch »

@Terryphi: the text-to-speech reader is Festival, with Fala for a GUI.

@P123: Thanks. :)

EliteOS is made with the assumption that seniors are intelligent and cosmopolitan, but some need accessibility options, and tries to accommodate both groups, with an emphasis on the former.

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu 28 Oct 2010, 12:14, edited 3 times in total.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote: @Thom: The selection of programs it currently comes with was actually a setup I did for a friend. So it hasn't been dumbed-down at all.
But, with virtually no desktop icons, a new user might not realize that.

Thom

Roy

#20 Post by Roy »

I am going to relate a recent experience here in hopes that someone may find the event relevant and useful....

A neighbor decided to be a nice guy and purchase a well-used (old) laptop from e-bay to give to another neighbor of mine. The laptop arrived -- with a 10GB HD and 125MB of RAM. Neighbor #1 came to me when his attempts to install XP, 2000, and ME (all MS products) all failed. His request: a web browser and a MS-compatable office suite. I loaded an official Puppy linux as a frugal install, complete with Open Office and a backup save file. Everything worked.

Neighbor #1 gives laptop to Neighbor #2, an older lady, and demonstrates power up, office suite, etc... Neighbor #2 asks, "Where's my e-mail?" so #1 opens the browser, explaining that it is the connection to the internet. "Oh, yes. The internet -- that's my e-mail," responds the lady...

The browser opens to a Google search which I had set as the home page, and the lady again asks, "But if this is the internet, where's my e-mail?"

Neighbor #2 resets her webmail -- with saved login and password -- as the new home page and quietly walks away.... Oh, and neighbor #1 was also providing the wireless connectivity which neighbor #2 was/is absolutely oblivious to.

.... Now, obviously, there are a lot of my own elders out there who understand URLs, search engines, and web addresses -- as well as databases, command lines, and a whole lot more than I currently do. This lady was clearly not among that group.

In this particular instance, I think EliteOS would have been almost perfect. Again, this is only my real world experience. Take it for what it's worth.

-Roy

l0wt3ch

1.1 is out

#21 Post by l0wt3ch »

Version 1.1 is out!

I've updated the first post in this thread.

l0wt3ch

#22 Post by l0wt3ch »

The new version comes with many new features, as outlined in the first post. It's still based on Lucid Puppy 511, but it's much more pleasing to the eye than 1.0.

The introductory video has also been updated.

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

Unimpressed. Sound not working? Couldn't find a mixer, either. This looks like the recent early version Wary which had all the same defects. Start-up jumps in with the wrong resolution, and the myopic locale that assumes the world ends at NYC.
It really doesn't matter how many bells & whistles are incorporated if the basic polish and universality is missing. It is far too big - for all those Mbs, I would expect to be put on-line automatically, maybe with a 3D pole-dancer wallpaper. Might as well swap to Opera and Chrome/Iron, with Eudora now that tronkel has developed a .pet, although Firefox with Sylpheed shows a modicum of taste.
As such, I have to mark this one as 'Hmm. Getting there, but could do better'.

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

So if one move the cursor using the mouse over the desktop then it say the name aloud like Browser Mail Trashbin?

I guess if I download and test it I can hear how the synt voice are. These are usually of very different quality.

Good that somebody think of those with such challenges.

I sometime go around my room with eyes shut to get a sense of how it is to be blind. I know how challenged one is if one fail to hear what people say and only see the lips moving and misunderstand again and again and people give up saying same things again and again.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

l0wt3ch

#25 Post by l0wt3ch »

@nooby: No, it doesn't do that.

EDIT: I found this thread, and downloaded the pet, but it is no longer working. I sent HairyWill an IM - maybe he's got a fix?

@sage: If the audio doesn't work on your particular computer, send me the iso with a SASE, and I'll give you a full refund.
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Fri 05 Nov 2010, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

P123

Sound

#26 Post by P123 »

I have always had a problem with Puppy & the internal speakers in my laptop (Toshiba Satellite L30-101) so I had to plug in an external speaker in the headphone socket, but Fluppy 005 sorted it. Now with my new (to me) PC (HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor) none of the Puppy audio drivers work without plugging in the external speakers. I do not have this problem with my main OS - Ubuntu. Therefore I am not worried about the text to speech programs.

However I have worn glasses since I was 12 (27 years ago). Because of the weight of my prescription I have too spend somedays without wearing them, so I like being able to see this website without a real magnifier glass.

One major improvement is that for the next version of this puplet could you use the network manager that Browser Linux & its derivates uses. Because Puppy would be so much easier to use if it recognized that my new (to me) PC could only use Ethernet & connected my automatically. This would in my mind bring Puppy alot closer to replacing other OS's such as Ubuntu.

l0wt3ch

#27 Post by l0wt3ch »

@ P123:

The only thing I have done pertaining to audio is install the speech synthesizer and voices, I haven't changed any alsa libs or any part of the built-in sound system. I know there's some issues with Lucid Puppy regarding multiple sound cards and stuff, but apparently using Audacious as your music player allows you to select which one you like. Hopefully these issues will be improved in 5.2.

As for the magnifying glass, I did some investigating into what the visually-impaired wanted in one. Having the zoom follow the cursor was the important thing, so I went with Gnome-mag as it was the only working magnifier that fit the bill. Personally, I think it works great.

Having the Internet start up automatically is something I want as well, so I'll see what I can do for the next release. :)

Thanks again for the feedback.

l0wt3ch

#28 Post by l0wt3ch »

P123

Sneekylinux's video

#29 Post by P123 »

Have you seen Sneekylinux's video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms351aMt_1U

l0wt3ch

#30 Post by l0wt3ch »

Thanks P123. I hadn't!

To get the virtual keyboard to focus on a particular window, click "focus" and then click on that window. Not sure Sneeky knew that. :)

P123

#31 Post by P123 »

Well you both know more than me. :wink:

l0wt3ch

#32 Post by l0wt3ch »

EliteOS now has its own website!

eliteos.ca

dogle

#33 Post by dogle »

Said new website says
It's Linux, so there's no chance of viruses or malware
'no chance'? Hmm, revisit that?

Thanks anyway l0wt3ch. Perhaps you have been too kind in your gentle comments in this thread re. 'eldy'. This thread has prompted me to visit that site; I shall be less kind in my comments on that project:

Patronising, certainly

Vanity project; I would support the noble ambitions to the hilt but if they can't present a website in coherent English, BS alert. They appear to be silent as to the content/structure of the software.

The 'user manuals' (I looked at 2 languages before retreating in disgust) insist that you must have "Windows" on your computer, although the software is purportedly Linux and Mac friendly.

What a bummer! er, how disappointing, Vicar (POSMH! STINX!).

I guess this underlines the continuing burning need for software more friendly to the non-savvy, and I hope that EliteOS may play a part in this.

tlchost

#34 Post by tlchost »

dogle wrote: Vanity project; I would support the noble ambitions to the hilt but if they can't present a website in coherent English, BS alert.
The developers are Italian....their primary language is not English.
The 'user manuals' (I looked at 2 languages before retreating in disgust) insist that you must have "Windows" on your computer, although the software is purportedly Linux and Mac friendly.
I believe the English help manual clearly states that the software will run under Linux...but perhaps in your disgust you overlooked a few words.

l0wt3ch

#35 Post by l0wt3ch »

Rather than go with software that looks like it was designed for a four-year-old, complete with blue elephants, why not find a way to deliver a complete OS that anyone would like, and provide ready tools for accessibility?