EliteOS 1.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
l0wt3ch

EliteOS 1.1

#1 Post by l0wt3ch »

EliteOS emphasizes elegance, simplicity, and ease-of-use. It runs well on older computers, and comes with tools for the physically-challenged and visually-impaired.

EliteOS is based on Puppy Linux 511, and released under the GPL.

Visit the new website at eliteos.ca!

(Note: While it may work with less, it is recommended that EliteOS be used on computers with a minimum of 512 MB of RAM.)

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Mon 29 Nov 2010, 08:52, edited 23 times in total.

raffy

contents

#2 Post by raffy »

Thanks. Could you tell us about its contents?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Roy

#3 Post by Roy »

l0wt3ch,

This is nice! Obviously, you have put a lot of thought into making this.

One quick question, though: Is there a way to allow the user to drag'n'drop a text file onto the desktop speech synthesizer (and it would be automatically read)?

-Roy

l0wt3ch

#4 Post by l0wt3ch »

@raffy: Watch the video for a quick introduction. :)

@Roy: Thank you. As for your question, why, yes, you can!

First, make sure "Read a text file" is selected in Fala:

Then, drag-and-drop the file into the field next to it:

Hope that helps!
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu 28 Oct 2010, 05:35, edited 3 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

You might find some of the programs used in Twinkle useful (based on Puppy 4.3.1)
http://tmxxine.com/twinkle/setup.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

l0wt3ch

#6 Post by l0wt3ch »

New video up at dailymotion.com.
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Mon 01 Nov 2010, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#7 Post by Ray MK »

Hi 10wt3ch

Very nice and running well on my 10yr old laptop. Manual frugal to ext3.
IBM A21m with 190mb ram, P3 coppermine proc. and a swap partition.

Very surprised at how well it runs on such a ram challended machine.

Many thanks for such a nice puppy.

Very best regards - Ray

P123

#8 Post by P123 »

I am surprised that NoSquint or Cute Menus (there are 3 different versions) wasn't included in Firefox instead of setting the minimum font so high. But I can easily add them.

I do not recommend testing this puplet in Virtual Box as all the internet browsers crashed on me - Midori & Firefox (default) & I downloaded Chromium which then crashed. However everything worked when ran from a live disk.
Attachments
content advanced.jpg
(156.33 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
content.jpg
(147.84 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
addons.jpg
(181.67 KiB) Downloaded 1033 times

rjbrewer

#9 Post by rjbrewer »

Roy wrote:l0wt3ch,

This is nice! Obviously, you have put a lot of thought into making this.

One quick question, though: Is there a way to allow the user to drag'n'drop a text file onto the desktop speech synthesizer (and it would be automatically read)?

-Roy
"Flite Speech Synthesizer" in "Fluppy" has drag and drop of
text files.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

l0wt3ch

#10 Post by l0wt3ch »

Why settle for four buttons when you can have a rich, customized, desktop experience?

The screen magnifier on the desktop works very well. I can easily read all the little terminal type from three feet away without my glasses on; it's intuitive and easy to adapt to. (Just remember to use the "big" cursor!) The level of zoom can easily be adjusted by right-clicking the icon, and changing the "4" (under "Arguments") to another number (as high as 16).

@P213: Thanks! Do you have any other suggestions?

@Ray:Glad you like it!
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu 28 Oct 2010, 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#11 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote:@lobster: I've looked into eldy (and now noob :D ), and I don't think those fit with the concept of EliteOS.
I agree....Eldy is designed for seniors....and has a large user base in England, Europe and now in the US.
Why settle for four buttons when you can have a rich, customized, desktop experience?
All the user need do is exit or minimize Eldy and they can enjoy whatever operating system on their computer. If they arrive at a minimal, non-intutiative desktop, they may see no reason to leave Eldy.

Thom

l0wt3ch

#12 Post by l0wt3ch »

tlchost wrote: I agree.... Eldy has a large user base in England, Europe and now in the US.
With the accessibility tools included in EliteOS, there is no need (not to mention that some seniors might find Eldy a bit patronizing).
tlchost wrote:If they arrive at a minimal, non-intutiative desktop, they may see no reason to leave Eldy.
So what are you saying, the desktop is too minimal and non-"intutiative"?
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu 28 Oct 2010, 05:44, edited 2 times in total.

tengzelius

EliteOS.iso Download Password

#13 Post by tengzelius »

puppy
linux

Terryphi

#14 Post by Terryphi »

Interesting, l0wt3ch ! What program are you using for the speech synthesizer?

P123

#15 Post by P123 »

Could you include a HiVis theme for Firefox? Please nothing blindingly bright.

As for extensions Smarterfox (also known as Fasterfox or Fastestfox), Flagfox (I shop on amazon dot com & dot co dot uk), Image Toolbar (to download free wallpapers from gnome-look without having to right click & scroll down a long context menu) & then of course there are site advisors like WOT or McAfee or some other anti virus company's small free web tools.

I have many more extensions installed but not all would be suitable for this project.

tlchost

#16 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote: So what are you saying, the desktop is too minimal and non-"intutiative"?
I think so....but I am not a senior citizen who is new to computers. I'll show it to the class of seniors I am teaching and get their reaction. Not sure if you have done the same.

Thom

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

@lobster: I've looked into eldy (and now noob Very Happy ), and I don't think those fit with the concept of EliteOS.

Understood. 8)

Many years ago Barry kindly allowed me to use Puppy as the basis of Linux Tmxxine
that was before the puplet naming convention.
and before this site had ads
http://peace.wikia.com/wiki/Tmxxine_Linux
http://tmxxine.com/tmx/

I have always made it clear that my derivations are based on Puppy
just not in every dimension

You might like to do the same with EliteOS as a courtesy
or are you intending a full fork? 8)

I feel you have a good niche and wish you every success . . .
One of the tutorials in twinkle might be available worldwide?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/computertutor/comp ... ndex.shtml

Puppy Linux
Silver surfer gold
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

l0wt3ch

#18 Post by l0wt3ch »

@Terryphi: the text-to-speech reader is Festival, with Fala for a GUI.

@P123: Thanks. :)

EliteOS is made with the assumption that seniors are intelligent and cosmopolitan, but some need accessibility options, and tries to accommodate both groups, with an emphasis on the former.

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Thu 28 Oct 2010, 12:14, edited 3 times in total.

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

l0wt3ch wrote: @Thom: The selection of programs it currently comes with was actually a setup I did for a friend. So it hasn't been dumbed-down at all.
But, with virtually no desktop icons, a new user might not realize that.

Thom

Roy

#20 Post by Roy »

I am going to relate a recent experience here in hopes that someone may find the event relevant and useful....

A neighbor decided to be a nice guy and purchase a well-used (old) laptop from e-bay to give to another neighbor of mine. The laptop arrived -- with a 10GB HD and 125MB of RAM. Neighbor #1 came to me when his attempts to install XP, 2000, and ME (all MS products) all failed. His request: a web browser and a MS-compatable office suite. I loaded an official Puppy linux as a frugal install, complete with Open Office and a backup save file. Everything worked.

Neighbor #1 gives laptop to Neighbor #2, an older lady, and demonstrates power up, office suite, etc... Neighbor #2 asks, "Where's my e-mail?" so #1 opens the browser, explaining that it is the connection to the internet. "Oh, yes. The internet -- that's my e-mail," responds the lady...

The browser opens to a Google search which I had set as the home page, and the lady again asks, "But if this is the internet, where's my e-mail?"

Neighbor #2 resets her webmail -- with saved login and password -- as the new home page and quietly walks away.... Oh, and neighbor #1 was also providing the wireless connectivity which neighbor #2 was/is absolutely oblivious to.

.... Now, obviously, there are a lot of my own elders out there who understand URLs, search engines, and web addresses -- as well as databases, command lines, and a whole lot more than I currently do. This lady was clearly not among that group.

In this particular instance, I think EliteOS would have been almost perfect. Again, this is only my real world experience. Take it for what it's worth.

-Roy