wNOP v0.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tombh

wNOP v0.2

#1 Post by tombh »

Downloading
wNOP version 0.2 available at puppylinux.asia -- wNOP-v0.2.iso (~128MB) (md5.txt)

You will need to enter the username "puppy" and the password "linux" to download wNOP.

Torrent @ Linux Tracker (thanks klu9)

If you have the original wNOP.iso then you can simply download this ISO-patch -- wNOP0.1_0.2.delta (~27MB) (md5.txt).
To use it --
* You must have xdelta.pet installed
* The delta ISO-patch must be in the same directory as the original ISO
* From within that directory type --

Code: Select all

xdelta3 -d -s wNOP.iso wNOP0.1_0.2.delta wNOP_v0.2.iso
and the new ISO will thus be created. It can be verified with the wNOP-v0.2 md5sum at the top of this post.

Compiz-Fusion in action
This Youtube Video shows off a lot of the CF effects.

wNOP Website
I will be maintaining latest news, FAQs, screenshots and such like at tombh.co.uk

Release Information
I know I had been referring to this pending release as wNOP2, but seeing as it still hasn't achieved wNOP's primary goal of working on every card that supports Compiz-Fusion (see here for an explanation) I think the status of a whole number version should not yet be given. I hope that there is no confusion with the versionless wNOP, which *should* have been called wNOP-v0.1.

I have learnt a lot since I made wNOP, one of the most important being the graphics cards capable of running Compiz-Fusion, namely --

* nVidia - from GeForce2 onwards
* ATI - from Radeon 7000 onwards
* Intel - from i810 onwards
* Possibly newer SIS cards but untested so far

v0.2 has taken account of this and has removed weighty and uneeded DRI modules for unsupported cards, it also has a list of known unsupported cards. This list can, however, be overridden using the new manual option in the Compiz-Fusion Wizard at boot time.

Here are the other notable changes --

* Based on NOPr2 (A nicely tweaked, well maintained and Xfce-based Puppy)
* Intel cards based on i810 driver work out of the box
* Fglrx driver added for newer ATI cards, but provides mostly unusable functionality :(
* CF Wizard script now offers a simple Auto or Manual choice at first boot
* Wobble Fairy Button on top panel magically fixes CF and Emerald crashes
* Xfce default session edited to prevent an invisible taskbar at first boot
* CCSM compiled to standalone executable, so Python is no longer needed
* Lil-Polar cursor added
* Gxine uses the xshm driver to enable video playback in CF (still not perfect)
* Default Emerald theme is bluer for active windows
* Lots of little things here and there

wNOPinspect is now integrated and can be run by simply typing

wNOPinspect
into the terminal. It will place wNOPdump.tar.gz on the desktop. If you are having problems with wNOP then please post this file to the thread.

wNOP extras
Keep up to date with wow's latest goodies
Wow is really the pioneer behind Compiz-Fusion and Puppy, he led the way for getting it working and ceaselessly keeps us up to date with the latest versions. His Compiz-Fusion page is here. Here you can get the latest Compiz-Fusion and dependencies. Latest versions can be installed directly on top of existing versions - so easypeasy for wNOPers :) However, you might also like to check out Screenlets and the Cairo dock.
Thankyou so much wow :) :)

Patched Mplayer
A patched version of Mplayer is available that offers more improved and stable performance to Gxine as a video player under Compiz-Fusion. See the thread here.

If you find this How To useful you might like to put a colour memory in my database (and tell all your friends about it!).
Last edited by tombh on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 19:54, edited 7 times in total.

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi Tom,

I have an error with your link..maybe it's not all uploaded yet.

EDIT: works ok now thanks Tom

Eric
Last edited by Caneri on Wed 26 Dec 2007, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

tombh

#3 Post by tombh »

!
Yep, not uploaded yet. I'm just in the middle of sending you an email too.....

Caneri

#4 Post by Caneri »

lol...I've done that also
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#5 Post by Caneri »

I loved your blog!!!

gob-smacked...what a word.
Chinese Proverb[/color]

gray

CSSM

#6 Post by gray »

tombh,

Any chance you can make the standalone (python-free) CCSM available as a pet package ?

WhoDo

Re: wNOP v0.2

#7 Post by WhoDo »

tombh wrote:wNOP version 0.2 available at puppylinux.ca -- wNOP-v0.2.iso (~128MB) (md5.txt)

Also there's now a website at tombh.co.uk. I will be maintaining latest news, FAQs, screenshots and such like there.
Hi Tom. Good news. wNOP-0.2 looks good and your website looks great. I'm sure raffy would love it if you wanted to do a makeover of the Puppy website.

May I ask if you have any plans to package Compiz Fusion in either dotpet or sfs format?

I'd love to be able to offer a Compiz Fusion edition of EZpup, for those who can run it, but I don't want to go over all of the ground you've already covered to get where you are. Besides, I'm not that good with the "mechanicals" of Puppy.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

prehistoric

wNop v 0.1 is a retronym

#8 Post by prehistoric »

Hi Tom,

Your v 0.1 worked well on my Dell Latitude D600 laptop. I'm now downloading v 0.2. Concern about naming shouldn't bother you. When George the 1st was king, nobody called him the first. Anyone who tries to sell you a coin saying George I Rex is pulling a fast one. George I and wNOP v. 0.1 are both retronyms: names created after the fact. (So is George H. W. Bush, when you see this in a news story.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retronym

Enjoyed your blog. But, then I can remember a time before M$ existed, which makes me,

prehistoric

cf13

#9 Post by cf13 »

Hi tombh

Do you think it would work on a ati rage fury pro/xpert 2000?
I can have 3d acceleration with the r128 driver. I did tried another old beryl package but it didn't work well.

Thanks a lot.

klu9

#10 Post by klu9 »

great to hear about wNOP2
I've updated the wiki page accordingly: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyNOP

I don't suppose you or anyone else is considering making a MetisseNOP?
If not I guess I'll finally have to get up off my arse and learn how to remaster :oops:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#11 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tombh

#12 Post by tombh »

@gray: Sure thing :) What were you thinking of using it for? As it isn't used in isolation should I just remake wow's dotpet? Or just package it on its own?

@WhoDo: Glad you like my site :) Yeah I'd love to help out with Puppy's web presence. Should I get in touch with raffy?
There are two significant dependencies for Compiz-Fusion - DRI enabled hardware accelaration and a compositing window manager (gnome, kde, xfce, enlightenment?). There is of course wow's dotpet already available, but any *complete* CF dotpet/sfs solution will need to provide for those two things I mention. The way I see it at the moment is that wNOP can lead the path towards Puppy's integration with CF and that once it becomes stable enough, the solution can be filtered off. You see, I think any complete solution should reasonably be expected to work with all supported graphics cards, but it appears at the moment that in order to support newer ATI cards, Xorg will need to be recompiled with XGL support -- yet another dependency. So the complete solution may be quite a intricate one!

@prehistoric: Thanks :) Retronyms! I never knew they had their own word! So is 'retronym' a retronym? I think it could be. But, if it is, then an awful lot, if not most words are retronyms -- as in, we encounter a lot of new things before we've actually verbalised and labelled them.

@cf13: You say you tried Beryl and it didn't work *well* -- as in, it did do *something*? My guess though is that Compiz-Fusion won't work, also I vaguely remember reading that CF and Beryl have different requirements. Please do try though. If you do then choose <Manual> in the CF wizard at boot time, because I think it will detect your card as blacklisted. Then choose ATI, then Radeon. My guess is that it will fail and that if you try running

SKIP_CHECKS=yes compiz-manager
from the terminal you will not pass the "non power of two support" test :(

@klu9: Great stuff thanks for that. I did try Metisse ages ago, before I'd heard of Compiz-Fusion, but didn't have much luck. And when CF came along, the metisse 'toy' kind of went to the back of my toy box! I wonder if Metisse and CF can be used together?

WhoDo

#13 Post by WhoDo »

tombh wrote:@WhoDo: Glad you like my site :) Yeah I'd love to help out with Puppy's web presence. Should I get in touch with raffy?
Yep. Just PM him and I'm sure he'd be happy for someone to update and help maintain the main site. We did have an offer of assistance in that regard sometime back, but it died on the vine. The best solution is if you and raffy "just do it", and don't bother getting the community involved. Otherwise you'll end up with so many wish-list items the project will bog down in indecision. Raffy has all the access details.
tombh wrote:There are two significant dependencies for Compiz-Fusion - DRI enabled hardware accelaration and a compositing window manager (gnome, kde, xfce, enlightenment?).
Hmmm....guess that lets out my favourite IceWM. *sigh* Of the wm's mentioned, I guess I'd prefer Enlightenment.
tombh wrote:The way I see it at the moment is that wNOP can lead the path towards Puppy's integration with CF and that once it becomes stable enough, the solution can be filtered off.
Point taken. I was aware of Wow's dotpet, but was hoping for something that was a tad easier for the refugees to come to grips with - sort of an EZpup advanced version for those ready to move beyond basic look-and-feel but still in need of a helping hand. Does that make sense?
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Caneri

#14 Post by Caneri »

Hi Tom,

According to my server logs....I think a second/third server would be a good thing.

On Dec 25 to 26 2007 wNOP knocked me off the web from too many hits....WELL DONE Tom!!

I find it very interesting to watch wNOP become a full blown distro in it's own rite.

EDIT: my dates might not be right as I'm not in my logs... but the effect is right.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

klu9

#15 Post by klu9 »

wNOPv0.2 now available via BitTorrent from LinuxTracker.org
http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=5068

that should help with your server, Caneri :wink:
PS: if you already have wNOP 0.2, please help seed the torrent, thx :wink:

EDIT: Holy moly! I've done an xdelta patch! And it works!!! If you have the first wNOP iso file, download only 27MB instead of 128MB.
http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=5069
Last edited by klu9 on Fri 28 Dec 2007, 02:20, edited 2 times in total.

klu9

#16 Post by klu9 »

@tombh
I don't think C-F can be used together with Metisse; IIRC C-F is a window manager for bog-standard X11 windowing system, whereas Metisse is a bundle: its own windowing system (instead of X11)and a specially-modified FVWM window manager to take advantage of the windowing system's extra capabilities.

Caneri

#17 Post by Caneri »

thx klu9

With the interest in wNOP..I think more is better...;)

EDIT: If I'm right you may see NOP and wNOP showing up in some ezines soon....but it's just a guess.

Eric
Chinese Proverb[/color]

klu9

#18 Post by klu9 »

re xdelta patches

a) I've created another one, to update NOP-r2.iso to NOP-r3.iso

b) I've (temporarily) stopped seeding the torrent for the wNOP to wNOP-v0.2 patch and am uploading to Mediafire. My upload sucks, so hopefully more people can get the patch quicker from that download site.
Once I've completed uplaoding to mediafire, I'll resume seeding the torrent.

c) I've started a page on xdelta in the Puppy wiki: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/XdeltA

edit: corrected link to NOP patch post
Last edited by klu9 on Fri 28 Dec 2007, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

klu9

#19 Post by klu9 »

ok, you can do an HTTP download of the xdelta patch now:
http://www.mediafire.com/?eenxhsxbjmu

EDIT: MD5 for the patch
e0adac00289780d0ef528c6b62545af9 wNOP0.1_0.2.delta

Boo2themoon

#20 Post by Boo2themoon »

Hi Tombh,

I have just tried wNOP 0.2 and I have to say "its a cracker". Thanks for sharing this.

It works well with my ATI Radeon mobility 9700 64mb card. Although I can't get the snow to work or drag the cube around with scroll button. But I will sort this (64mb permitting) when I have more time to play.

Bristol eh? "Where you to me babber?" Lol. Don't answer that or the Vista boys will headhunt you....with a sack!

Some friends have asked me to burn them a copy of Puppy. They live on a boat (near SS Great Britain) so I was going to give them Lighthouse pup. But now I've seen wNOP I'll give them that. It will make them think they've eaten the wrong kind of mushrooms!

Thanks again for wNOP and also to Gray for the splendid NOP.

All the best

Boo