How to update my Puppy 5.2 CD to 5.2.5 + 001?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Py

How to update my Puppy 5.2 CD to 5.2.5 + 001?

#1 Post by Py »

I normally run Puppy from a cd and am currently on Puppy 5.2

How do I get a cd with Puppy 5.2.5 complete with the 001 update please? I presume I download Puppy 5.2.5 and the 001 update and then what please? I am on dialup.

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

If you can download the 5.25 cd on your dialup, that's the first start.

If you run from cd, do you have a save file on a hard drive? As with any upgrade, make sure you back up your save file before doing anything, just in case.

From there, it is simply a matter of putting the new cd in the drive and letting it boot up, it will automatically upgrade your save file to the new 5.25 version.

The further question for you though, is do you actually need to upgrade? I upgraded, and find no discernible difference in my everyday usage of puppy. In fact, on one of my pc's I had to go back to 5.2 for things to work the way I like!

I guess my point is, whilst its nice to have the latest and greatest of things, its also worth keeping in mind, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"!

HTH

Paul

Py

#3 Post by Py »

p310don wrote:If you can download the 5.25 cd on your dialup, that's the first start.
I downloaded 5.2 :)
If you run from cd, do you have a save file on a hard drive? As with any upgrade, make sure you back up your save file before doing anything, just in case.
Yes I have the save file on the hdd
From there, it is simply a matter of putting the new cd in the drive and letting it boot up, it will automatically upgrade your save file to the new 5.25 version.
And then when I download the 001 update it will update my save file further?
The further question for you though, is do you actually need to upgrade? I upgraded, and find no discernible difference in my everyday usage of puppy. In fact, on one of my pc's I had to go back to 5.2 for things to work the way I like!

I guess my point is, whilst its nice to have the latest and greatest of things, its also worth keeping in mind, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"!
Thank you for this point. Not sure if I will upgrade now, but I am interested in how I would upgrade if I wanted to :).

Thanks for your help Paul.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

Py,

I am not sure about the 001 update, but yes, I believe that once you've updated your installed save file to 5.25, then you can download the update and install it. It's a .pet so it should install all on its own easily.

Then you'll be up to date, and at 132kb, even on dialup, that won't take long!!

Let us know how you go :D

Py

#5 Post by Py »

Thanks for the info Paul. I am still undecided about updating, but will let you know how I go if I do.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#6 Post by Béèm »

Look at the official 5.2.5 announcement in this section, post 1, and see if there is benefit to go to 5.2.5 (+001)
If you don't see benefit, don't waist dial up bandwidth.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]