Firefox 32 not working properly

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
B.K. Johnson

Firefox 32 not working properly

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

tahrpup-6.0.2 OOTB, has Palemoon as its only browser. From quickpet, I installed a version of Firefox that has been subsequently replaced with Firefox 32. Seamonkey-2.29.1 was later installed and all 3 browsers (original FFox, Palemoon and SM-2.29.1) worked for quite a while. I don't recall any issues with FFox-32 when installed from quickpet although I could have missed it because SM is my primary browser. Now, I am having a problem getting Firefox 32 to work. I have installed and uninstalled Firefox twice and rebooted in between with the same results.

The Firefox pet is downloaded from nluug and I get the standard advice that it is installed and can be found under Internet in the menu.
It is there, but when clicked the browser does not come up.
I click a second time in the menu and a dialogbox tells me that updates are being installed. The browser comes up. I am able to do anything I would usually do from the browser but after choosing to reboot or shutdown, it crashes to a black and white screen with a half page error message with this first line:

Code: Select all

unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 000000054.
After a minute the system reboots or shuts down without saving anything to the pupsave.
Sometimes after the crash, the system does not reboot/shutdown nicely; I have to power off (hard reset).

If I click Firefox in the menu once, that is avoid the update dialog, then either choose reboot or shutdown, the system does not crash. The crash occurs only after the firefox update.

Any ideas? I would rather not start over installing packages into a new pupsave file if there is a simple way to fix the prob. I had to do so before when I didn't get any sound at youtube,

On a hunch, I tried calling firefox from the command line after the first try from Menu and got the output shown below. The browser came up. The shutdown crashed.

root# firefox

(process:17414): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised

(process:17414): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(firefox:17414): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
The terminal was not usable once the browser was active. When it was closed, this line was displayed in the terminal window.

1428207490638    addons.update-checker    WARN    Update manifest for {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd} did not contain an updates property
root#

B.K. Johnson

#2 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Searched PPM and found Firefox 35. Decided to uninstall 32...thought I did with Uninstall ...Remove and every indication that removal succeeded, but when I looked at the Details after the presumed removal, this is what the window revealed:

Failed to Remove or Cancelled Packages
Installed packages that depend on the removed and you my not need anymore
The message is obtuse but the intent is clear - it can't be removed.

How can I manually remove this version?
Additional info:
  • Firefox is removed from Menu->Internet
    Files still exist in /opt/firefox
    last update per update.log is ver 36
    it isn't a pupsave issue - pupsave free space = 244M

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

unicorn316386

#3 Post by unicorn316386 »

I just grab the latest Firefox (37.0.1) from the ftp and unzip it to "opt"

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/linux-i686/en-US/

Then navigate to opt/firefox and click on the "firefox" file to run it (or make shortcut)

You can delete old opt/firefox directory first. Works for me in tahrpup-6.0.2-nopae

B.K. Johnson

#4 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Thanks.
I'll try and report back.

B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.2 PAE, slacko-5.7, frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

unicorn316386 wrote:I just grab the latest Firefox (37.0.1) from the ftp and unzip it to "opt"

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest/linux-i686/en-US/

Then navigate to opt/firefox and click on the "firefox" file to run it (or make shortcut)

You can delete old opt/firefox directory first. Works for me in tahrpup-6.0.2-nopae
I did this once some time ago, and since then just use firefox's internal update facility in it's "About" dialog.

gyro

B.K. Johnson

#6 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@unicorn316386
The update worked. Thanks again.

@gyro
I am now a convert to this proc now.

@all
unicorn316386 did not identify the reason for the problem, just a welcomed :D means of bypassing the error. I will keep the thread open for a while in case ...

B.K. Johnson