Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Aug 2020, 05:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 66 of 211 [3151 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, ..., 209, 210, 211 Next
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:00    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
My thing about Gnome Mplayer is taht it is impossible to tell it to repeat every music file one play again and again.

Hey nooby, IMHO gnome-mplayer is good for playing single songs by clicking on them, but people who listen to a lot of music and have many tracks stored on their pc probably will be better off with a more dedicated music player, such as Pmusic (included) or DeadBeeF or Audacious (in PPM)..

Do people have suggestions about this--I know several have suggested deadbeef as the default included in the distro. That would be plus 2 more MB. We have already added (plus a few others)
Sylpheed 3.10 + 1.5MB
Pidgin + 3.5 MB
Transmission + 1.5MB
Grub4dos + .75MB

IMHO these are all worth the space because they are high function programs, BUT they have brought the distro to 137MB. Even at 140MB Lucid Puppy would be 1/4th the size of almost every other distro (or less).

I know iguleder made a small deadbeef, but if we used it I would want to use the full program and the current version if at all possible--well, I will listen to opinions about that also. Thanks everyone.

My thoughts on DeaDBeaF: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=460711#460711

I would say that overall it's not bad, just not what I'm looking for. There is a real difference in playback quality, which is good or bad depending on your perspective. One plus is that deadbeef defaults to sinc interpolation, which will sound better right off the bat, but the way it decodes does produce artifacts, albeit pleasant, that are not true to the source material. Plus the gapless playback doesn't really work, which is not a problem for tracks that don't run into the next one, but on albums like The Wall, for example, it is noticeable. I love the EQ though. It has bands at musical fundamentals and curves can be saved in a separate file which is excellent. The dealbreakers for me are decoding artifacts and gapless playback that isn't, but YMMV.

Edit: Pidgin and Transmission are great, nice to have them right there already.

playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:05    Post subject:  

Stripe, Tubeguy has surprised us both I think. I just reread his post that is linked in his message and he says "No."
DaveS

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:06    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
DaveS. I have gotten different core speeds on that same screen--I think it checks too quickly before they all are slowed down.

Conky from PPM with the conky.conf from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60846 will give an ongoing and more accurate reading I think.

It has got me wondering as hardinfo gives this, which suggests core 1 is running harder than core 0
Will try conky
sensors.png
 Description   
 Filesize   6.23 KB
 Viewed   1077 Time(s)

sensors.png

tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:09    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Stripe, Tubeguy has surprised us both I think. I just reread his post that is linked in his message and he says "No."

Well no for me, I don't want to speak for anybody else. I actually like beef better as a default player. There are so many players out there that don't have everything that beef has going for it, I would hate to think that my little comment put the kibosh on beef for Puppy.

Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:11    Post subject:  

playdayz, why don't you compile DeaDBeeF and split it into "deadbeef" and "deadbeef_plugins"? Things like the GTK interface plugin, ALSA, FLAC, mad, etc' in the "deadbeef" PET and the more exotic plugins that take more space in the plugins PET.

And here's the tiny DeaDBeeF hacked by dejan555 and me in case someone's interested.

playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:12    Post subject:  

Quote:
It has got me wondering as hardinfo gives this, which suggests core 1 is running harder than core 0
Will try conky

Yes indeed. Look in /root/Startup/cpu-frequncy-scaling.sh Whoa, we need tasmod or iguleder.

Tasmod or iguleder. I just looked at /root/Startup/cpu-frequncy-scaling.sh and see 'modprobe acpi-cpufreq, BUT when I installed I choose the K8 frequency module. It seems to be working for me but this seems odd.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:15    Post subject:  

Here's the original code from pcpufreq 003 by me:

The code that makes it auto-start:
Code:
echo "#!/bin/busybox ash

modprobe `cat /etc/pcpufreqdriver`
modprobe cpufreq-$scalingGovernor

cd /sys/devices/system/cpu

for i in \`ls -d1 cpu[0-9]*\`; do

echo $scalingGovernor > \$i/cpufreq/scaling_governor

done" > /root/Startup/cpu-frequency-scaling.sh

The code that changes the driver:
Code:
  # a function that loads a CPU driver
  setDriver()
  {

cpuDriver=${cpuDriver%%" "*}
    echo $cpuDriver > /etc/pcpufreqdriver
    modprobe $cpuDriver

}

Here's the original code from pcpufreq 003 by me:

The code that makes it auto-start:
Code:
echo "#!/bin/busybox ash

modprobe `cat /etc/pcpufreqdriver`
modprobe cpufreq-$scalingGovernor

cd /sys/devices/system/cpu

for i in \`ls -d1 cpu[0-9]*\`; do

echo $scalingGovernor > \$i/cpufreq/scaling_governor

done" > /root/Startup/cpu-frequency-scaling.sh

The code that changes the driver:
Code:
  # a function that loads a CPU driver
  setDriver()
  {

cpuDriver=${cpuDriver%%" "*}
    echo $cpuDriver > /etc/pcpufreqdriver
    modprobe $cpuDriver

}

EDIT: setDriver() filters "ondemand" from "ondemand (blah blah blah)" and "performance" from "performance (blah blah blah)", that's the first line of the subroutine.

This code should work.

Last edited by Iguleder on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:18; edited 1 time in total
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:18    Post subject: Re: eamonkey2-2.0.10-flashplayer-10.1.102.64-jre-1.6.0.22.sfs  

Bert wrote:
[
Fried potato with mayonnaise: you really know this part of the world don't you Wink Laughing

Belgian "friets" are great, however in Holland they try to sell them too, but by far nothing compared with when I once ate them 50 yearts or so ago in Belgium in a "frietkot", very greasy dirty doors etc. but superb.

Just like their bonbons and Rombouts coffee. The French have the reputatation of being good cooks I prefer the "Bels".

BTW Bert could you explain me how you managed to get moon- or silverlight running in FF ?

Have no clue while Dutch tv streams nowadays only in this format.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:27    Post subject:  

Quote:
Edit2: In /etc/X11/xorg.conf I changed "MaxTapTime" to "0", restarted X, no more tapping. Awesome.

shinobar and tubeguy. Is this the problem? Tubeguy, we turned that on in order to get flsynclient to work. Shinobar knows.

Last edited by playdayz on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:34; edited 1 time in total
playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:31    Post subject:  

Quote:
As Playdayz suggested I tried to install Shinobar's LupQ language pack in Luci-237 for my language ( Dutch, 604MB pet)

SUCCESS!!

Great news Bert. Thanks. We can put them in PPM for easy access.
playdayz

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:37    Post subject:  

Got the new retrovol for luci-238pre.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:38    Post subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Quote:
Edit2: In /etc/X11/xorg.conf I changed "MaxTapTime" to "0", restarted X, no more tapping. Awesome.

shinobar and tubeguy. Is this the problem? Tubeguy, we turned that n in order to get flsynclient to work. Shinobar knows.

Last version I ran on the lappie before this was 232 and flsynclient worked, tapping was not enabled by default. On 237 tapping was enabled by default, which it probably should be because that's how most people use their touchpads, but I have a habit of touching the touchpad when I shouldn't. Confused
Still would like to get horizontal scrolling to work though.

Bert

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 13:40    Post subject: Re: eamonkey2-2.0.10-flashplayer-10.1.102.64-jre-1.6.0.22.sfs  

nancy reagan wrote:
[
BTW Bert could you explain me how you managed to get moon- or silverlight running in FF ?
Have no clue while Dutch tv streams nowadays only in this format.

Nancy, this must be a misunderstanding. I have no experience with running moonlight or silverlight on FF. Must be someone else who talked about it.
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 14:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
but I have a habit of touching the touchpad when I shouldn't.

me to
Quote:
Still would like to get horizontal scrolling to work though

flsynclient > 3.TAB > Check 'Horizontal Edge Scroll'

it is flsynclient 0.6 (c)2006 Matteo Lucarelli and the luci touchpad is much more sensitive than at dpup, perhaps because of the driver.
I had this restartX message, too, but it didn't bother me much.
This message hadn't been at dpup, perhaps because dpup is running some parts of the older CCE at bootup.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Sun 14 Nov 2010, 14:38    Post subject:  

Karl Godt wrote:
Quote:
but I have a habit of touching the touchpad when I shouldn't.

me to
Quote:
Still would like to get horizontal scrolling to work though

flsynclient > 3.TAB > Check 'Horizontal Edge Scroll'

it is flsynclient 0.6 (c)2006 Matteo Lucarelli and the luci touchpad is much more sensitive than at dpup, perhaps because of the driver.
I had this restartX message, too, but it didn't bother me much.
This message hadn't been at dpup, perhaps because dpup is running some parts of the older CCE at bootup.

Yeah but I can't get into flsynclient at all. Restart X doesn't make the error message stop.

Page 66 of 211 [3151 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, ..., 209, 210, 211 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: