Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
smil99

Compiz and cairo-dock work in luci-233/234

#391 Post by smil99 »

Compiz and cairo-dock now work in luci233/234 (at least at my end).
Grab them from here:
Compiz-0.8.4-Lucid.pet

cairo-dock-2.1.3.10-Lucid.pet.

Nevertheless, bewarned that the installation especially, for compiz is not straightforward. As I posted earlier (page 23 of this thread), I followed tombh's thread: Compiz-Fusion for Puppy 4.0.

As pointed out in that thread,
... there are only 3 main types of card that can run CF; ATI (newer than 7000), Intel (newer than i810) and Nvidia (newer than GeForce2).
Well, my machine uses intel so I had no problem whatsoever.

Now, these are the steps that I took:
1. I installed a fresh luci-233 frugally and the first thing I did was to install O1micko’s
xfce4-4.6.2-511-beta-Lucid.pet.
Oh yes, compiz only works in xfce, KDE and gnome :cry:
Might work in Openbox but I didn't succeed trying that.

2. installed the new WmSwitcher (v7) before doing the switch to Xfce. However, fbpnel was still visible with openbox menus. I had to rename /usr/bin/fbpanel to fbpanel-old and after restart, it was gone.

3. Installed Xorg_High-1.1-Lucid.pet for 3D acceleration. (Note: no need to install the xorg_xorg_full_dri-7.3.pet as suggested by tombh in the Compiz thread posted above).

4. I then installed openshot. (Note: This version of Openshot contains a mini-python which will also be useful for the compiz ccsm.) You can install only the python_minimal-2.5.pet
or the full python found elsewhere in the forum if you don't want to install Openshot.

5. Installed Compiz. (Note: This version of compiz contains libwnck for better performance of Emerald. It also has the simple-ccsm which is a no-brainer in configuring Compiz. (Hint: I always use the "ultimate" option in simple-ccsm for smooth and better performance of Compiz).

It is now time to tighten our belts as we are going to make some changes to system files.

6. Open the file /etc/profile and add # at the beginning of line 88. That is:

Code: Select all

#export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
7. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf according to the instructions given here: Compiz-Fusion for Puppy 4.0

8. Add this somewhere near the begining of .xinitrc:

#start compiz
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp emerald --replace &
sleep 3
At this point, Compiz should work after restarting the computer. However, I found out that the screen flickers after clicking the right button of the mouse.

To overcome this. I disabled the following lines in /root/.xinitrc:

/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7
if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
else
rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi
They should look like this:

#/usr/sbin/fixPuppyPin /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin #v1.0.7
#if [ -f /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
# rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
#else
# rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
#fi
(Note: The above lines in /root/.xinitrc must be line113 and lines116 through 120 after pasting the Compiz startup code given in 8.)

Now if you want some further eye-candy, then proceed with the installation of cairo-dock.
9.. Install cairo-dock and add this:

#start cairo-dock
cairo-dock -o &
just before:

#exec $CURRENTWM
in /root/.xinitrc.

Restart your machine and enjoy.

cheers.
Last edited by smil99 on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 03:17, edited 2 times in total.

01micko

#392 Post by 01micko »

Hi smil99

I am trying right now.. but in the /root/.xinitrc I will suggest to playdayz to make some improvements for compatibility with xfce4 and fluxbox..such as not loading fbpanel!!! does flux do compiz????

The wmswitcher needs improvement too, I'll upload a fixed xfce without wm-switcher and a new wm-switcher soon. I'm thinking to drop lxde support, only because of too much conflict with fbpanel.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#393 Post by playdayz »

drop lxde support,
Yes. The LXDE-Light I made. Do that. I have already removed it from PPM--it is a different openbox too which makes for even less compatibility.

playdayz

#394 Post by playdayz »

I am sorry to offend ttuuxxx. I do that hype b.s. just for fun, like, The Greatest Show on Earth!!!

It looks like you have us on the themes ;-) We have 18 backgrounds though--probably too many.

01mickos sfs-getter in Quickpet for one-click install of sfs's is a good move toward ease of personalizing imho.

Two built-in and 3 added wm's is another move--though maybe also in the excessive range.

And then there is Quickpet in the first place and LupuNews to keep up with latest releases and updates.

Can we call it a tie?

Luci-234 - One of the two most easiest to personalize Puppies ever!!!

shinobar

Grub and Grub4Dos

#395 Post by shinobar »

Regarding the Grub and Grub4Dos,
I like to show our experience of Japanese editons for your information.
From the 430JP released October last year, Japanese editions have both Grub(legacy) and Grub4Dos, as the recent Bary's Wary and Quirky do.

But new comers use Grub(legacy) instead of Grub4Dos,
and wonder why the grubconfig do nothing for the frugal installs.
They may also be missing the message given by the univasal installer(even translated in Japanese) how to boot up frugal install.
Anyway, if his PC is Windows pre-installed, he forced to make a frugal install on NTFS, there are no hope with Grub(legacy).

They don't have an idea even to try the Grub4Dos appears next to the Grub(legacy) on the menu.
Maybe because of its unfamiliar name 'Grub4Dos', they thought it a tool manipulating Windows MS-DOS or something.

In the LupQ, i removed the Grub(legacy) from the menu with this reason.
( Actually LupQ has both because one exceptional case requires the grub legacy.
The user interface, grub4dosconfig hides this fact and automatically arranges the grub and grub4dos.)

I guess the menu title of grub4dosconfig can be renamed as 'Grub configuration' hiding the name 'Grub4Dos'.
Because the Grub4Dos is upper compatible with the grub legacy.

Please see also:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61348
Last edited by shinobar on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 02:17, edited 5 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

James C

#396 Post by James C »

Just noticed that the default cache setting in Firefox 4 b6 is 250 mb ........isn't that a bit higher than the usual Firefox pet?
Reset mine to 20...... :lol:
Attachments
firefox cache.png
(83.87 KiB) Downloaded 4920 times

01micko

#397 Post by 01micko »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This compiz is a blast.. I just minimised my Opera window and watched it fold inta paper plane and fly downwards :lol:

Those blokes (compiz devs) surely have too much time on their hands!

Ok, will ditch lxde from wm-switcher

James C

#398 Post by James C »

Almost forgot, I've installed Fluxbox and have a different wallpaper for each wm......seems to be working fine.

Somewhere in the midst of changing wm's back and forth I've lost the firewall status indicator in the taskbar though. :lol:

smil99

#399 Post by smil99 »

@01micko
does flux do compiz????
I guess not. :cry:
According to the fluxbox-wiki:
Can I use fluxbox or parts of it with XGL/Compiz/Beryl?
No, you can't. Fluxbox is a windowmanager, compiz and beryl are window managers (combined with a composite manager). So you can only replace fluxbox with one of them. KDE, GNOME and XFCE are desktop environments, which bring a windowmanager (kwin, metacity and xfwm) along. That's why you can use them with compiz, only the windowmanager is replaced.
Fluxbox is not modular, so you can't use the fluxbox menu, toolbar, slit or anything else with compiz. You can read the eyecandy section for some nice effects with fluxbox or switch completely to compiz/beryl and miss all the great features fluxbox has.
So we now have Xfce as the top candidate for compiz.

@01micko
This compiz is a blast..
It surely is :D . I hope you can come come out with an easy way to install it.

Cheers.

ttuuxxx

#400 Post by ttuuxxx »

playdayz wrote:I am sorry to offend ttuuxxx. I do that hype b.s. just for fun, like, The Greatest Show on Earth!!!

It looks like you have us on the themes ;-)

Can we call it a tie?

Luci-234 & 2.14X - are One of the two most easiest to personalize Puppies ever!!!
Ok I can agree with a tie :) would be nice if one day if all the puppy Linux developers got together and built a release. If we took the amount of effort that we put into our personal projects and funneled into a main release it would be tops.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

01micko

#401 Post by 01micko »

Yeah works well with it and only weighs in at 5MB.. so all up, to have a wobbly desktop it costs about 20M compressed,, not bad.

I guess the whole lot could be packaged with a special xinitrc that doesn't overwrite the current one... build it into wm switcher and it should be simple to switch between compiz and the other wms (switching the xinitrc in the process). I did note that X just refuses to start with the others.

Cheers

ttuuxxx

#402 Post by ttuuxxx »

01micko wrote:
Yeah works well with it and only weighs in at 5MB.. so all up, to have a wobbly desktop it costs about 20M compressed,, not bad.

I guess the whole lot could be packaged with a special xinitrc that doesn't overwrite the current one... build it into wm switcher and it should be simple to switch between compiz and the other wms (switching the xinitrc in the process). I did note that X just refuses to start with the others.

Cheers
Switching xinitrc is the best way to do it, That's the way I did it in 432 and 2.14X.
in 2.14X the script is as follows

#!/bin/sh
cp -f /usr/local/wmsitcher/metacity/windowmanager /etc/windowmanager
cp -f /usr/local/wmsitcher/metacity/.xinitrc /root/.xinitrc
sleep 3 &&
exec restartwm
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

playdayz

#403 Post by playdayz »

Just noticed that the default cache setting in Firefox 4 b6 is 250 mb ........isn't that a bit higher than the usual Firefox pet?
Yeah, mine too. I cannot remember ever setting that, but 20 seems more reasonable to me, so I think I will set it.

<add: I changed the cache to 20MB and started the pet going through the ibiblio mirrors..
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

smil99

#404 Post by smil99 »

@01micko
I did note that X just refuses to start with the others.
Unfortunately yes. :cry: I forgot to mention that.
@ttuuxxx's
Switching xinitrc is the best way to do it, That's the way I did it in 432 and 2.14X.
Let's give that a try with ttuuxxx's help.
@ttuuxxx's
would be nice if one day if all the puppy Linux developers got together and built a release
Very happy to hear you here. That is what I call the puppy spirit, so infectious and yet very accommodating allowing for crossbreeding. :D

Cheers.

shinobar

Switching xinitrc

#405 Post by shinobar »

ttuuxxx wrote:Switching xinitrc is the best way to do it,
It is the easiest way but not the best.

My IME(Input Method Engine) PET rewrites the .xinitrc by the postinstall.sh.
Other PET can do, there may be a chance users edit .xinitrc manually and not want to reverted it.

I do not have any good idea, but some 'if' branch in the .xinitrc can be one of the method.
Like:

[ -x somescipt ] && somescript
in .xinitrc.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

sinc

#406 Post by sinc »

One small note since micko asked for anything trivial. On luci 234 after installing IceWM from the PPM the description in the menu of the WMSwitcher reverted back saying switch between JWM and IceWM.
Attachments
wm switcher.png
(165.66 KiB) Downloaded 1567 times

01micko

#407 Post by 01micko »

Hi smil99 and those concerned :wink:

I think it is best to start cairo-dock in /root/Startup.. I use an nvidia and it needs 'cairo-dock -c' not -o option, else I don't get transparency. I guess if we do a test for xorg_high being installed (maybe grep it from /root/.packages/user-installed-packages) then we can set the option to -o if that condidtion is true or -c for nvidias (and hopefully one day radeons :wink: ). This will facilitate cairo-dock being an optional extra :wink: . (man my machine is beginning to look like a mac... but with so much more control!)

I think Shino you are correct, I think we can test enough conditions to switch wms without 2 xintrc files, it is faster and should work ok... as long as we know what wm we are running then we can choose to load or not load compiz accordingly. IMO it is always simpler to have the one file, too much shifting of files can lead to breakdowns, especially on slower machines.

I think I'll make one big package.. it will have xfce, compiz, python etc.... cairo-dock can be extra with the startup file. Of course I'll make an adjusted standalone package of xfce. I need to adjust wm-switcher too. I will make a separate xinitrc once I figure it all out. This should be able to handle anything, including those who don't want compiz, lets face it, compiz is only eye candy and should not be forced on anyone.. though it is fun!

Cheers

ah thanks for that sinc, that was one i did need to know :wink:
On luci 234 after installing IceWM from the PPM the description in the menu of the WMSwitcher reverted back saying switch between JWM and IceWM.

Later...

I have knocked together a /root/.xinitrc file that seems to do the job and do it well, the only fault is that in xfce there is an error message that the rox pinboard didn't load, a minor annoyance for now since xfce4 doesn't use the rox pinboard.. so the behaviour is desired but the message is not! I have tested going from jwm to openbox/fbpanel to xfce and there is code in place to take care of icewm and fluxbox.. we are dumping lxde. (from official support anyways :wink: )

I'll attach as a tarball, those interested just backup your old /root/.xinitrc and replace with this one.. I want to hear from folks that haven't even got xfce installed but may have icewm or fluxbox. Try it too if you installed smil99's compiz (be careful to follow his instructions and be aware that cairo-dock is optional.. ahem you won't need to edit the xinitrc if you use this one)
Attachments
Xinitrc-test-luci-234.tar.gz
remember it is a hidden file and to backup your original
(2.62 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#408 Post by Lobster »

In luci-234
wiki updated http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy52

Not sure what the background experiments being done are?
I changed to JWM which is faster
and kept finding my background wallpaper
choice was changing to the previous selection.
Hopefully this will settle down :?

Firewall icon in traybar. Nice. Obvious. Works. :)
Initial setup wizard from Shinobar. Works, obvious Job very well done. :)

Chat to pidgin not quite there. I click on pidgin and it asks me to
select from a list of servers. I am meant to select Freenode
and go to #puppylinux.
Before I just clicked on chat . . .
OK downloaded Xchat with Quickpet - same problem, it wants to
know settings most new Puppys will not know . . .

SFS seemed to instal K-Office - oh yeah baby

Regarding Compiz: I know it is eye candy. I know it
serves no purpose but
I WANT CANDY. I need Compiz. Gimmee the candy . . . :oops:
[restraints are now in place]

I downloaded Seamonkey twice
The first time it did not take (OK I may have had two petgets open and downloading an SFS simultaneously but even so . . .]

xorgdriver check done
google map done
transmission done
xaraLX (from ppm) done

Congratulations to Larry, coders and testers
Puppy Lucid 5.2 is becoming Puppy funnery

Happy Halloween guys
Today you can feed the trolls . . .

Puppy Linux
Awesome comes as standard
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#409 Post by 01micko »

Icewm

Nothing added, just tidied up thanks to sinc

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lupu520 ... -lucid.pet 955K

xfce4

Same, just tidied up a little

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lupu520 ... -Lucid.pet 5M

[usual usr/pswd apply :wink: ]

wmswitcher-0.8 is attached, lxde support is gone, supports Icewm, Jwm, Openbox/fbpanel, fluxbox and xfce4

Smooth transitions depend on the adjustments I made to /root/.xinitrc (above Lobby's post :P )

Cheers

EDIT: pet had a bug, see newer post
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 08:01, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#410 Post by pemasu »

I have the same problem as lobster. With default wm the wallpaper reverts back to the original or previous not sure which.