Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#346 Post by James C »

Installed the Nvidia 256.35 driver with Quickpet...........

# glxgears
8881 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1776.200 FPS
10085 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2017.000 FPS
10080 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2016.000 FPS
10069 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2013.800 FPS
10072 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2014.400 FPS
10078 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2015.600 FPS
12353 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2470.600 FPS
12104 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2420.800 FPS
12159 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2431.800 FPS
12337 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2467.400 FPS
12359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2471.800 FPS

-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.35
Direct Rendering : Yes

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 233

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

01micko

#347 Post by 01micko »

Luci users..

JustGreg did post the latest nvidia driver too...http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61077

It only has the old xmessage pinstall but it still works just fine. (playdayz.. a rename and a pinstall tweak? :wink: [after some comments from our nvidia users of course])

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#348 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Playdayz thanks very much for the gimp sfs was just going to start making one. I am on downloading it now.

Cheers
Stripe

Shep

#349 Post by Shep »

Just tried this pup, amazed to find it really does automatically setup. (Well, I didn't test far, just the mediaplayer.) First discovery was that audio volume defaults to blaring!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Second discovery: there is something amiss with the Courier font--someone has stolen a few pixels from the upper-case "B". Don't believe me? Here, see for yourself:
Attachments
Courier_Luci_233.png
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 1219 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#350 Post by Lobster »

The 'monospace' font at 10 point is not distinct - noticed this too. Bring the font size down or up and it is clear. Are there alternatives? Is it to do with xorg or screen display, anti aliasing? We used to have this problem a long time ago but Barry solved it.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#351 Post by 01micko »

progress report

Quickpet full install sfs installation has hit a snag which will hopefully be overcome in the next day or so... it basically works but it needs to register with petget for compatibility.. I may need some consultation with others over this...

wmswitcher with fluxbox support is fine, but I am working on a surprise with that one :wink:
Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jasper

#352 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Many of those new to Puppy will be understandably diffident.

So, I have two thoughts about enhancing the CD:

* by adding one or more pages of text (perhaps indexed and with graphics) to explain the most important procedures and options (not for loading into RAM, so size should matter less)

* by incorporating shinobar's Windows boot options to instil confidence in current Windows users that if the simple instructions are followed nothing can be lost.

My regards

Possibly - including brief details of other Puppies which may be betted suited to their hardware or native language?

nancy reagan

Maybe also a link to a howto

#353 Post by nancy reagan »

Sir Jasper wrote:Hi playdayz,

Many of those new to Puppy will be understandably diffident.

So, I have two thoughts about enhancing the CD:

* by adding one or more pages of text (perhaps indexed and with graphics) to explain the most important procedures and options (not for loading into RAM, so size should matter less)

* by incorporating shinobar's Windows boot options to instil confidence in current Windows users that if the simple instructions are followed nothing can be lost.

My regards

Possibly - including brief details of other Puppies which may be betted suited to their hardware or native language?
And yes that's what makes lin so impopular. Here they rush from one to the other project instead of first making a proper manual for users instead of tweakers and the like. Which is imho a waste of diamonds.

So if you are writing something like an introduction why not first ask your M$ neighbours whether they understand anything from what you're saying.

My suggestion is to give some links to a few howtos, which can perioducally updated :roll: .

Moreover wonder whether developers could make links on their "frontpage" referring to a few howtos ?

And thus, possibly, getting an even bigger audience

playdayz

#354 Post by playdayz »

Please offer your opinions and experience concerning including Grb4dos and using it to boot the live-CD.

1. Am I right that with grub4dos a user can install Puppy on an NTFS partition, safely and easily, and dual boot with their Windows setup? IMHO this would make it less scary for novices to install Puppy. I remember myself that resizing partitions to create a linux partition was stressful and dangerous. But already people can boot the Live-Cd and put the pup_save on an ntfs disk. So the advantage is being able to put a frugal install on an ntfs disk??? I want to hear someone say Yes before I try it on my machine ;-)

Assuming I have that right, what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 29 Oct 2010, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#355 Post by playdayz »

The 'monospace' font at 10 point is not distinct - noticed this too. Bring the font size down or up and it is clear. Are there alternatives? Is it to do with xorg or screen display, anti aliasing? We used to have this problem a long time ago but Barry solved it.
Where so you see the monospace font at 10pt please? How about Liberation mono?

Stripe

#356 Post by Stripe »

playdayz wrote:what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.
Hi playdayz I always used to use it before I could edit a grub menu as it lists all the operating systems (puppy and windows) and makes entrys automaticaly in the menu

Hope this helps
Stripe

playdayz

#357 Post by playdayz »

Another question?

Has ayttm always had problems in previous Puppies?

bigpup

#358 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Please offer your opinions and experience concerning including Grb4dos and using it to boot the live-CD.

1. Am I right that with grub4dos a user can install Puppy on an NTFS partition, safely and easily, and dual boot with their Windows setup? IMHO this would make it less scary for novices to install Puppy. I remember myself that resizing partitions to create a linux partition was stressful and dangerous. But already people can boot the Live-Cd and put the pup_save on an ntfs disk. So the advantage is being able to put a frugal install on an ntfs disk??? I want to hear someone say Yes before I try it on my machine ;-)

Assuming I have that right, what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.
A Frugal install of Puppy can be done to any formate. Fat16,32, NTFS, Ext2,3,4.
If you install to Fat or NTFS, good idea to let the installer install Grub as the boot loader. It will auto detect Windows but you will need to manually put the Frugal install info in.
The installer tells you what to put in the Grub Menu.lst to boot the frugal install. It also tells what to put in Grb4dos if you are using it.

James C

#359 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:Please offer your opinions and experience concerning including Grb4dos and using it to boot the live-CD.

Just a personal opinion, tried it and still using good ole legacy Grub.

I boot everything with Grub, including Ubuntu 10.10 and sidux (oops, I mean Aptosid)...just one users opinion.

playdayz

#360 Post by playdayz »

dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 12&t=58553

Can people test, please? This looks like a winner. Ayttm takes 2MB so this is only 1.7MB more--well spent imho. And we know it's good work.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 29 Oct 2010, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#361 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Perhaps there is less typing with shinobar's method. Even typing can be a pain, especially to total newcomers not even used to a qwert (or whatever "foreign") keyboard.

As regards help on the live CD, if a new user does not already have printed help or has not already made copious notes - I think, that is where and when, for user comfort and avoidance of error, help is often most needed.

My regards

My knowledge and experience is far, far, far from extensive; but I have never used a better or faster OS than Lucid Puppy - so my only concern is for the maximum number of users to enjoy the maximum benefit from their choice of Puppy.

maxpro4u

#362 Post by maxpro4u »

playdayz wrote:dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?

Can people test, please? This looks like a winner. Ayttm takes 2MB so this is only 1.7MB more--well spent imho. And we know it's good work.
pidgin working fine so far here.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

scsijon

#363 Post by scsijon »

playdayz wrote:
What are you trying to get scsijon?

the iso and dev of 233 from page1
Wow. No, I don't have those anywhere else. That is usually a very reliable server. Has this been going on longer than a day or so?
it's all ok again today, the files are down,

it has happened before from that server, but usually only one file

thankfully not enough to be deadheading the server,

just a damn nusance when you want to download and test the next version in the stream, and have the time free to do so without interuption.

regards

scsijon
ps ended up pulling amaya's docs down, think i'll have a go at building it for puppy as the default deb version doesn't seem to work! Too much missing.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#364 Post by Lobster »

Where so you see the monospace font at 10pt please?
In Abiword
what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.
The advantage is that Ubuntu, Windows and
popular Puppy configurations can be scrolled by menu rather than putting
in bizarre easily forgotten geekery such as 'puppy pfix=ram' options

The disadvantage is it slows down booting unless the 5 second auto boot is disabled and adds code (but I doubt it is that big) :)
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

playdayz

#365 Post by playdayz »

dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?

There is a script at /usr/sbin/ayttmshell that starts ayttm connected to IRC #puppylinux. It looks like it might originally have been written for pidgin. It would be a fine thing if someone felt like converting that script to this Pidgin or writing or adapting an equivalent one. Thanks you.