Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 16:32
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 24 of 210 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, ..., 208, 209, 210 Next
James C

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 00:59    Post_subject:  

Installed the Nvidia 256.35 driver with Quickpet...........

# glxgears
8881 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1776.200 FPS
10085 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2017.000 FPS
10080 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2016.000 FPS
10069 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2013.800 FPS
10072 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2014.400 FPS
10078 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2015.600 FPS
12353 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2470.600 FPS
12104 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2420.800 FPS
12159 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2431.800 FPS
12337 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2467.400 FPS
12359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2471.800 FPS

-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 2.1.2 NVIDIA 256.35
Direct Rendering : Yes

VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 233

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 02:42    Post_subject:  

Luci users..

JustGreg did post the latest nvidia driver too...http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61077

It only has the old xmessage pinstall but it still works just fine. (playdayz.. a rename and a pinstall tweak? Wink [after some comments from our nvidia users of course])

Cheers

Stripe

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 04:15    Post_subject:  

Hi all

Playdayz thanks very much for the gimp sfs was just going to start making one. I am on downloading it now.

Cheers
Stripe
Shep

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 05:47    Post_subject:  

Just tried this pup, amazed to find it really does automatically setup. (Well, I didn't test far, just the mediaplayer.) First discovery was that audio volume defaults to blaring!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Second discovery: there is something amiss with the Courier font--someone has stolen a few pixels from the upper-case "B". Don't believe me? Here, see for yourself:
Courier_Luci_233.png
 Description   
 Filesize   2.84 KB
 Viewed   1205 Time(s)

Courier_Luci_233.png

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 06:17    Post_subject:  

The 'monospace' font at 10 point is not distinct - noticed this too. Bring the font size down or up and it is clear. Are there alternatives? Is it to do with xorg or screen display, anti aliasing? We used to have this problem a long time ago but Barry solved it.
01micko

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 06:22    Post_subject:  

progress report

Quickpet full install sfs installation has hit a snag which will hopefully be overcome in the next day or so... it basically works but it needs to register with petget for compatibility.. I may need some consultation with others over this...

wmswitcher with fluxbox support is fine, but I am working on a surprise with that one Wink
Cheers

Jasper

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 10:12    Post_subject:  

Hi playdayz,

Many of those new to Puppy will be understandably diffident.

So, I have two thoughts about enhancing the CD:

* by adding one or more pages of text (perhaps indexed and with graphics) to explain the most important procedures and options (not for loading into RAM, so size should matter less)

* by incorporating shinobar's Windows boot options to instil confidence in current Windows users that if the simple instructions are followed nothing can be lost.

My regards

Possibly - including brief details of other Puppies which may be betted suited to their hardware or native language?
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 12:58    Post_subject: Maybe also a link to a howto  

Sir Jasper wrote:
Hi playdayz,

Many of those new to Puppy will be understandably diffident.

So, I have two thoughts about enhancing the CD:

* by adding one or more pages of text (perhaps indexed and with graphics) to explain the most important procedures and options (not for loading into RAM, so size should matter less)

* by incorporating shinobar's Windows boot options to instil confidence in current Windows users that if the simple instructions are followed nothing can be lost.

My regards

Possibly - including brief details of other Puppies which may be betted suited to their hardware or native language?

And yes that's what makes lin so impopular. Here they rush from one to the other project instead of first making a proper manual for users instead of tweakers and the like. Which is imho a waste of diamonds.

So if you are writing something like an introduction why not first ask your M$ neighbours whether they understand anything from what you're saying.

My suggestion is to give some links to a few howtos, which can perioducally updated Rolling Eyes .

Moreover wonder whether developers could make links on their "frontpage" referring to a few howtos ?

And thus, possibly, getting an even bigger audience
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 14:04    Post_subject:  

Please offer your opinions and experience concerning including Grb4dos and using it to boot the live-CD.

1. Am I right that with grub4dos a user can install Puppy on an NTFS partition, safely and easily, and dual boot with their Windows setup? IMHO this would make it less scary for novices to install Puppy. I remember myself that resizing partitions to create a linux partition was stressful and dangerous. But already people can boot the Live-Cd and put the pup_save on an ntfs disk. So the advantage is being able to put a frugal install on an ntfs disk??? I want to hear someone say Yes before I try it on my machine Wink

Assuming I have that right, what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.

Edited_time_total
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 14:07    Post_subject:  

Quote:
The 'monospace' font at 10 point is not distinct - noticed this too. Bring the font size down or up and it is clear. Are there alternatives? Is it to do with xorg or screen display, anti aliasing? We used to have this problem a long time ago but Barry solved it.

Where so you see the monospace font at 10pt please? How about Liberation mono?
Stripe

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 14:32    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.

Hi playdayz I always used to use it before I could edit a grub menu as it lists all the operating systems (puppy and windows) and makes entrys automaticaly in the menu

Hope this helps
Stripe
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 14:35    Post_subject:  

Another question?

Has ayttm always had problems in previous Puppies?
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 14:59    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:
Please offer your opinions and experience concerning including Grb4dos and using it to boot the live-CD.

1. Am I right that with grub4dos a user can install Puppy on an NTFS partition, safely and easily, and dual boot with their Windows setup? IMHO this would make it less scary for novices to install Puppy. I remember myself that resizing partitions to create a linux partition was stressful and dangerous. But already people can boot the Live-Cd and put the pup_save on an ntfs disk. So the advantage is being able to put a frugal install on an ntfs disk??? I want to hear someone say Yes before I try it on my machine Wink

Assuming I have that right, what other advantages or disadvantages do you see by using Grub4dos as LupQ uses it to boot the CD? Thank you.

A Frugal install of Puppy can be done to any formate. Fat16,32, NTFS, Ext2,3,4.
If you install to Fat or NTFS, good idea to let the installer install Grub as the boot loader. It will auto detect Windows but you will need to manually put the Frugal install info in.
The installer tells you what to put in the Grub Menu.lst to boot the frugal install. It also tells what to put in Grb4dos if you are using it.
James C

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 15:28    Post_subject:  

playdayz wrote:

Just a personal opinion, tried it and still using good ole legacy Grub.

I boot everything with Grub, including Ubuntu 10.10 and sidux (oops, I mean Aptosid)...just one users opinion.
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct 2010, 15:48    Post_subject:  

dejan555, Why did you not tell me you had a 3.72MB build of Pidgin that was working in Lupu (5.0)?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=611542312&t=58553

Can people test, please? This looks like a winner. Ayttm takes 2MB so this is only 1.7MB more--well spent imho. And we know it's good work.

Edited_time_total
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 24 of 210 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, ..., 208, 209, 210 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum