Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#3121 Post by playdayz »

Are the four apps the same version numbers as the normal ones in 515 but compiled for i386 or are they the old versions which were in 5.1.1 and are intended to overwrite the 515 versions?
Abiword and Gnumeric are ttuuxxx's versions. Gparted and geany are reversions to what is in 5.1.1.

01micko

#3122 Post by 01micko »

As for ATI support, well yes it's dismal.. and not just for Puppy, Linux in general.

The very latest AMD cards don't even have an open source driver, let alone proprietary. I find this appalling, you would think that AMD, being the main Intel competitor would embrace linux. :?

The legacy cards do have some linux proprietary drivers but they are all unsupported after Xorg 7.4. Now IMO, that's the xorg devs being lazy, just wanting to support newer kit. :evil: , but in saying that, they are just volunteers like ourselves. They also abandoned Xvesa (as very distinct from vesa, which is a xorg module) as of 7.4.

On the up side, the ATI/Radeon developers of the open source driver have done a marvelous job with most ATI cards supporting 3D hardware acceleration. It's way ahead of nvidia in that regard. Nouveau, the nvidia open source driver, has a long way to go, but will eventually offer a good alternative to the proprietary drivers,

We have what we have, I don't think we can do much more in terms of video driver support. I think we probably have the best linux yet in that regard. My p3 will run google-earth with software acceleration provided by Xorg_High, so too my Radeon box (9200pro) but with full 3D HW acceleration. Not bad for 10yo and 7yo systems respectively.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

#3123 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: I think Billtoo has one?

I'm running a bootflash install.
I downloaded the Lucid511-FullNvidia_260.19.12-k2.6.33.2.pet in
quickpet and it installed.

# glxgears
8443 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1688.600 FPS
9978 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1995.600 FPS
9951 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1990.200 FPS
9987 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1997.400 FPS
9988 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1997.600 FPS
#
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 515

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP79 Board - hornet-0 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation ION VGA (rev b1)

Hardware acceleration is working, I can play nezuiz with the settings
at medium which is pretty decent.

An error message came up just after I booted up and before I installed
the pet (I think).

ilanrab

#3124 Post by ilanrab »

01micko wrote:As for ATI support, ...
We have what we have, I don't think we can do much more in terms of video driver support. I think we probably have the best linux yet in that regard. ...
My recent experience can attest to that fact.

Great job on the video drivers front, dudes!

Cheers,
ir

scsijon

Re: 246 problems

#3125 Post by scsijon »

shinobar wrote:
scsijon wrote:First Shutdown - Only problem found here. The prompting window for pupsave went to the maximum matrix so trying to read the characters was a "little hard to read". Thought there was a fix for this already implemeted by barryk????
(snip)
1- /etc/fontmap is a zero length file. Barrys fix is the add to puppy's startup script video=640x480 (or 800x600 also works)
Sorry i have misunderstood your problem.
You mean the boot option of the live cd, isolinux.cfg, right?
shutdown process from a live cd boot, yes

regards

---------
also, on another topic of yours, grub via mbr is a must in my case as I support users with a number of other linux's, a couple of them are grub configured (without grub4dos). I must be able to match the users config to help them.

Jades

#3126 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:
Are the four apps the same version numbers as the normal ones in 515 but compiled for i386 or are they the old versions which were in 5.1.1 and are intended to overwrite the 515 versions?
Abiword and Gnumeric are ttuuxxx's versions. Gparted and geany are reversions to what is in 5.1.1.
OK, thanks for the clarification. Having an odd problem with getting the pupsave to work on the frugal of 515, will report back on that and on how the K6 Pack works some time tomorrow.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Billtoo

#3127 Post by Billtoo »

@01micko

I made another bootflash install and put the devx and kernel sources
sfs on the drive.I went to the nvidia site and downloaded the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run file.
Reboot a couple of times until the devx and kernel sources sfs were
installed, then exited to the prompt and ran the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run file.
When it was finished I ran nvidia-xconfig and then xorgwizard and
chose the nvidia driver.
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 515

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP79 Board - hornet-0 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
# glxgears
bash: glxgears: command not found
#
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

OpenGL
Vendor Unknown
Renderer Unknown
Version Unknown
Direct Rendering No

VGA compatible controllernVidia Corporation ION VGA (rev b1)

Nexuiz runs better than before and GoogleEarth runs great.

This computer is an acer revo nettop.

sszindian

515 Bata

#3128 Post by sszindian »

Installed Kmymoney-1.0.4-Lucid from the PPM. After installation, it said to check in the menu under "Personal" for the program. It didn't put it there, after searching through the menu, I found it under the menu heading "Business" - "Calculate" where incidentally the "HomeBank" (pre-installed with Puppy) program is also.

After trying both programs, neither would respond to my browser (Iron-6) to access online help. In fact neither would give me any local-file help, nota... zilch... nothing through their menu-structures............. Say What? No, haven't tried other browsers, shouldn't have to.

jpeps

#3129 Post by jpeps »

Links-2.3...Compiled in 515---OpenSSL works now, so reads GMail..This is fast becoming my favorite browser (I'm using it now..)

http://jpeters.net/apps/links-2.3.tar.gz

tasmod

#3130 Post by tasmod »

Hi Larry,

Here's Firewallstate version 1.8 which has the locale etc menu options removed now they have changed.
Attachments
firewallstate-1.8.pet
(13.07 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

shinobar

Re: 246 problems

#3131 Post by shinobar »

scsijon wrote:
shinobar wrote:
scsijon wrote:First Shutdown - Only problem found here. The prompting window for pupsave went to the maximum matrix so trying to read the characters was a "little hard to read". Thought there was a fix for this already implemeted by barryk????
(snip)
1- /etc/fontmap is a zero length file. Barrys fix is the add to puppy's startup script video=640x480 (or 800x600 also works)
Sorry i have misunderstood your problem.
You mean the boot option of the live cd, isolinux.cfg, right?
shutdown process from a live cd boot, yes.
I am not sure but i remember someone reported 'video=640x480' makes trouble with some hardware...
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 22 Dec 2010, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

wuwei

pppoe connection

#3132 Post by wuwei »

This shall not be a criticism on an otherwise great Puppy.

Yet, all through the 5 series and the Lucis there has always been a difficulty with a pppoe connection. My PC is hooked up to a DSL modem, not a router and as such needs password and provider adress to connect to the internet.

Now I wanted to know if this still persists in 515.
So this time I started with a fresh frugal 515, booted into the desktop and started with the connection setup.

1. the Simple network Wizard does not work. After a short while it replies with "failed to connect".
2. Network Wizard works and connects eth0
3. start pppoe setup and enter necessary data, then "start"; internet connected.
4. Make symlink from /usr/sbin/pppoe-start_shell to /root/Startup
5. save and reboot
6. upon reboot the connection is established for a few seconds, not enough to even build up the first webpage. Go to pppoe setup, Stop and Start establishes the connection.
7. Write executable in /root/Startup

Code: Select all

sleep 8
pppoe-stop_shell 
/action
sleep 5
pppoe-start_shell
/action
8. save, reboot
9. Upon restart no connection in browser, but the pppoe status says "Link is up and running"
10. Amend executable to read now

sleep 12
pppoe-stop_shell 
/action
sleep 8
pppoe-stop_shell 
/action
sleep 5
pppoe-start_shell
/action
11. reboot
12. 25 seconds after desktop is displayed internet connection is up and running, webpages are displayed.

Okay, so I have an acceptable pppoe connection, but it is still strange that one has to circumvent the direct start this way.
In ttuuxxx's 432RC5 this is not the case. The symlink as per 4. above works fine there.

Short of a simpler solution, does anyone have an idea why this is so complicated in 511 and 515?

Thanks for your help

Bamoset

Lucid Puppy News

#3133 Post by Bamoset »

Just noticed a text editing error in the first line of the first paragraph of "Lucid Puppy News" ($ No Break;).

Jades

Can't create 515 lupusaves on FAT32 partition

#3134 Post by Jades »

I've been trying to set up a Frugal install of 515 on the K6 machine, and every time I try to boot up after having created the lupusave it fails with a message complaining about the superblock being corrupt and finally stops with a kernal panic and flashes the keyboard lights. I've also tried setting it up as a LiveCD boot and the same problem happens.

Luci-246 doesn't work either, with exactly the same symptoms when creating new save files in LiveCD and Frugals. Interestingly both types of Luci install will boot if I use the backed-up lucisave from that machine that was originally created in Luci-238 and has been through a number of updates without any problems.

If I do a frugal of 5.1.1 then it works fine and creates its lupusave without any problems on booting. I didn't have any problems creating a fresh 515 lupusave on Merlin, the drive of which is formatted NTFS, so it seems that at some point after 238 something's gone awry with the save creation routine on FAT32.

Edit: Added "on FAT32" to last sentence.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

playdayz

#3135 Post by playdayz »

Lupu-516 Beta 2 is now posted in its very own new forum thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 987#479987

Jades

#3136 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:Lupu-516 Beta 2 is now posted in its very own new forum thread.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 987#479987
Will look in a bit, still trying to track down the version of Luci where it stopped creating working save fies on my K6. Luci-240 worked OK.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#3137 Post by Béèm »

peebee wrote:
playdayz wrote:By default lupu does not use xorg.conf like other puppies. We are used to xorg.conf but ever since xorg 7.3 X can configure itself without xorg.conf. Lupu can do it both ways. To create a traditional xorg.cconf., just Menu -> Setup -> Personalize Settings and run xorgwizard. Or, exit to a prompt and run xorgwizard.
Thanks for the clarification playdayz - much appreciated.
I guess the question remains whether xvidtune is compatible with lupu's way of doing things as any changes it makes can't be made permanent? If it doesn't work should it be there? Is there another way to do display tweaks in lupu?

Cheers
Peter
Where does xorg 7.3 stores it's information then?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Lord_Solrac2

Please a Support For v4l webcam

#3138 Post by Lord_Solrac2 »

Hey, I was wondering if I could make a request... Its for the Package
libv4l-0 (for the /usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so)
So we can enable Webcam in Both Flash (Example For Meebo.com) and Skype :D Also Microphone Support... (I know theres a Webcam app but I mean it for this command

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so firefox //  skype // chrome
And Stuff Like that)
Thats what enables Webcam for Flash in Ubuntu...

tempestuous

#3139 Post by tempestuous »

libv4l is available as a dotpet here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 701#469701

ICPUG

#3140 Post by ICPUG »

Beem,

Since I've tried a number of searches to find out where XOrg stores its autogenerated info and come up blank everytime I am led to the conclusion that it doesn't store them. It autogenerates at every boot up. If an xorg.conf is created anything in there will overwrite the auto generated stuff. Anything NOT in there will be autogenerated.

See here for more interesting info:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... onfig.html