Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3106 Post by Lobster »

Thanks to Larry (playdayz) I hope the culprit for my WSOD (White Screen of Death) and problems with streaming video may be solved. It is likely to be the proprietary Catalyst driver. The xorg high seems to work . . .

I could not understand how Ubuntu Firefox with the same Flash version was allowing streaming. Then I realized it does not have the ATI driver by default.

If you are having streaming problems, make sure you use the ppm to remove the driver before installing the xorg high driver.

Hope this is the solution. For me it is a show stopper bug :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3107 Post by Lobster »

saves on loading times
Thanks ttuuxxx - I will upload the smaller image
also did some further editing of the main page. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

bigpup

#3108 Post by bigpup »

Lobster wrote:Thanks to Larry (playdayz) I hope the culprit for my WSOD (White Screen of Death) and problems with streaming video may be solved. It is likely to be the proprietary Catalyst driver. The xorg high seems to work . . .

I could not understand how Ubuntu Firefox with the same Flash version was allowing streaming. Then I realized it does not have the ATI driver by default.

If you are having streaming problems, make sure you use the ppm to remove the driver before installing the xorg high driver.

Hope this is the solution. For me it is a show stopper bug :)
What video card are you using?
Support for ATI cards is a weak area for Puppy Linux.
ATI just released a Catalyst 10.12 driver.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English

Bert

#3109 Post by Bert »

Could this be a bug:

I installed the nvidia driver 260.19.12, the one recommended by Quickpet for my nvidia Ion GPU.
( I was happy without it, but hoped it would help in running Google Earth)
As I feared, based on earlier experience, full screen flash video became much worse with the nvidia driver.
So, I uninstalled it with the PPM.and PPM told me it was uninstalled successfully. It disappeared from the installed-pets-list.

But, much to my surprise, the nvidia driver was still there, in the menu and in the file system. Even after restarrting X and after a reboot.

Anyone knows what's happening here?

Second question: why do nvidia drivers actually lower the performance of a nvidia ION gpu?
Thanks!
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

Tasgarth

nvidia driver 260.19.12

#3110 Post by Tasgarth »

Bert wrote :
I installed the nvidia driver 260.19.12, the one recommended by Quickpet for my nvidia Ion GPU
Maybe we should use Xorgwizard after uninstalling the Nvidia driver to change Xorg.conf.

With my Nvidia graphics card, for laziness, with the live-cd I do:
1° CD-Live> Quickpet> Nvidia driver pet (driver 260.19.12) > OK
The pet is installed but ... not operational.
(see Menu >setup > Nvidia Settings > click )

2° Then... Menu > Setup > Personalize Settings... >XorgWizard (azerty, fr_FR, etc...) to change Xorg.conf.

In this way, I did not use the driver 'nv' driver directly but the GeForce.260.19.12

bigpup

#3111 Post by bigpup »

Lupu 515
Frugal install HDD

The NV Nvidia selection in Xorgwizard is not the Nvidia driver you install from Quickpet.
The Nvidia selection in Xorgwizard is the Nvidia driver from Quickpet.

I use Nvidia driver 173.14.25.
I removed the driver with PPM and it was removed. All entries in menu removed.
System no longer using the Nvidia driver. So PPM worked for me.
Could there be something in the driver package that keeps it from being removed properly by PPM?
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 21 Dec 2010, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3112 Post by Lobster »

bigpup wrote:What video card are you using?
VGA compatible controller ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]

Now using High Xorg
The extremely stable Second Life has told me I do not come up to minimum specs - I ran anyway - looked OK right up to the moment (after about 30 secs) - when it crashed

I want cake and I want to eat it!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

bigpup

#3113 Post by bigpup »

Lobster wrote:
bigpup wrote:What video card are you using?
VGA compatible controller ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]
I have a Radeon HD 2600 PRO.
The ATI catalyst driver works fine for me and it should work for you.
Just trying to figure out what would make it work OK for some but not for all.
Bad download of the driver?
The way the driver is being installed?
The way Puppy is installed?
Resolution setting?
Swap file/partition size?
System memory?
Some overlooked setting?
Just things to think about looking for the answer.

playdayz

#3114 Post by playdayz »

What video card are you using?
Support for ATI cards is a weak area for Puppy Linux.
ATI just released a Catalyst 10.12 driver.
Well. More or less. The ATI Catalyst fglrx driver that we have is only for the latest generation cards HD 2400-5800. It *would* be good to have some older Catalyst drivers. By Catalyst driver is meant the proprietary ATI driver.

There are also open source drivers for most ati cards, including the newest. Xorg_High gives GL acceleration like the proprietary card. In fact, Lobster reports that the proprietary catalyst driver was giving him a problem that the open source driver did not have.

Bert

#3115 Post by Bert »

Thanks Tasgarth and bigpup,

But I give up. I cannot remove the nvidia driver with PPM and most of what you are saying here is above my head.

I downloaded the Nvidia driver 173.14.25 from NVIDIA, but it refuses to install, being a "-pkg1.run" format.

Not that I ever would completely give up :wink:
Will probaly wipe this Lupu and start all over, hoping one of the Devs will find the nvidia-ppm-bug...

Thanks again.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

playdayz

#3116 Post by playdayz »

Not that I ever would completely give up Wink
Will probaly wipe this Lupu and start all over, hoping one of the Devs will find the nvidia-ppm-bug...
Welcome to the ranks of developers yourself. That's what we do when it breaks--wipe it and start over ;-)

You might try Exit to Prompt and run xorgwizard and Choose. You would want nv, if you didn't want nvidia. Numerous people know more about this than I do.

Billtoo

#3117 Post by Billtoo »

bigpup wrote: ATI just released a Catalyst 10.12 driver.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... ng=English

I downloaded and installed the ati-driver-installer-10-12-x86.x86_64.run file.
I haven't been able to find out what's new with this version but it
must be better in some way.I backed up my save file before I started just in
case :)

bigpup

#3118 Post by bigpup »

Bert wrote:Thanks Tasgarth and bigpup,

But I give up. I cannot remove the nvidia driver with PPM and most of what you are saying here is above my head.

I downloaded the Nvidia driver 173.14.25 from NVIDIA, but it refuses to install, being a "-pkg1.run" format.

Not that I ever would completely give up :wink:

Thanks again.
Get the Nvidia drivers by using Quickpet.
There are several there and will install with no problem.

I am not saying that driver would be best for you.
The Nvidia 260.19.12 driver should work for your video card.
What always works for me:
After installing driver
Run xorgwizard
Select choose
Make sure to select nvidia not NV Nvidia
Select test
Verify that the Nvidia driver is now being used.

When using
Nvidia X server settings program
If you cannot get the settings you want with xorgwizard
Try Nvidia X server settings program (should be listed in menu)
* In the section "X server display configuration" If you change the resolution settings
do not use the apply button but make sure you select save to X configuration file.
*Restart X to make sure the new settings are being used.

shinobar

UNetBootin issue

#3119 Post by shinobar »

Are you aware that UNetBootin install fails with Lucu-515 and with wary-102.
Barry is going to make wary final release without UNetBootin support... :cry:
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

#3120 Post by 01micko »

Bert wrote:Could this be a bug:

I installed the nvidia driver 260.19.12, the one recommended by Quickpet for my nvidia Ion GPU.
( I was happy without it, but hoped it would help in running Google Earth)
As I feared, based on earlier experience, full screen flash video became much worse with the nvidia driver.
So, I uninstalled it with the PPM.and PPM told me it was uninstalled successfully. It disappeared from the installed-pets-list.

But, much to my surprise, the nvidia driver was still there, in the menu and in the file system. Even after restarrting X and after a reboot.

Anyone knows what's happening here?

Second question: why do nvidia drivers actually lower the performance of a nvidia ION gpu?
Thanks!
Hmmm...

Yes it's a bug ... must be in PPM. It should cleanly remove all files, but it must be missing the nvidia kernel module and nvidia xorg module. :?

The 173.xx driver in quickpet will overwrite the 260xx driver so that should be safe, try that before burning the pupsave.

The recommendation of the driver is directly from the nvidia database for nvidia cards based on the device ID. The code for obtaining the device ID is pretty well bullet proof. So, there must be either some Xorg incompatibility, a kernel incompatibility or a bug in the nvidia driver for your particular ION chipset. I think Billtoo has one? I think it works ok for him.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'll try to find out why the module won't uninstall cleanly.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#3121 Post by playdayz »

Are the four apps the same version numbers as the normal ones in 515 but compiled for i386 or are they the old versions which were in 5.1.1 and are intended to overwrite the 515 versions?
Abiword and Gnumeric are ttuuxxx's versions. Gparted and geany are reversions to what is in 5.1.1.

01micko

#3122 Post by 01micko »

As for ATI support, well yes it's dismal.. and not just for Puppy, Linux in general.

The very latest AMD cards don't even have an open source driver, let alone proprietary. I find this appalling, you would think that AMD, being the main Intel competitor would embrace linux. :?

The legacy cards do have some linux proprietary drivers but they are all unsupported after Xorg 7.4. Now IMO, that's the xorg devs being lazy, just wanting to support newer kit. :evil: , but in saying that, they are just volunteers like ourselves. They also abandoned Xvesa (as very distinct from vesa, which is a xorg module) as of 7.4.

On the up side, the ATI/Radeon developers of the open source driver have done a marvelous job with most ATI cards supporting 3D hardware acceleration. It's way ahead of nvidia in that regard. Nouveau, the nvidia open source driver, has a long way to go, but will eventually offer a good alternative to the proprietary drivers,

We have what we have, I don't think we can do much more in terms of video driver support. I think we probably have the best linux yet in that regard. My p3 will run google-earth with software acceleration provided by Xorg_High, so too my Radeon box (9200pro) but with full 3D HW acceleration. Not bad for 10yo and 7yo systems respectively.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

#3123 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote: I think Billtoo has one?

I'm running a bootflash install.
I downloaded the Lucid511-FullNvidia_260.19.12-k2.6.33.2.pet in
quickpet and it installed.

# glxgears
8443 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1688.600 FPS
9978 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1995.600 FPS
9951 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1990.200 FPS
9987 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1997.400 FPS
9988 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1997.600 FPS
#
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 515

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP79 Board - hornet-0 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation ION VGA (rev b1)

Hardware acceleration is working, I can play nezuiz with the settings
at medium which is pretty decent.

An error message came up just after I booted up and before I installed
the pet (I think).

ilanrab

#3124 Post by ilanrab »

01micko wrote:As for ATI support, ...
We have what we have, I don't think we can do much more in terms of video driver support. I think we probably have the best linux yet in that regard. ...
My recent experience can attest to that fact.

Great job on the video drivers front, dudes!

Cheers,
ir

scsijon

Re: 246 problems

#3125 Post by scsijon »

shinobar wrote:
scsijon wrote:First Shutdown - Only problem found here. The prompting window for pupsave went to the maximum matrix so trying to read the characters was a "little hard to read". Thought there was a fix for this already implemeted by barryk????
(snip)
1- /etc/fontmap is a zero length file. Barrys fix is the add to puppy's startup script video=640x480 (or 800x600 also works)
Sorry i have misunderstood your problem.
You mean the boot option of the live cd, isolinux.cfg, right?
shutdown process from a live cd boot, yes

regards

---------
also, on another topic of yours, grub via mbr is a must in my case as I support users with a number of other linux's, a couple of them are grub configured (without grub4dos). I must be able to match the users config to help them.