Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#1951 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:I tested fluppy 8 and I don't have the issue, neither in UTF nor in no-UTF.
Perhaps Jemimah would know why her version of xmessage can handle UTF issues better.

smokey01

#1952 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:I have collected all of the pet packages ttuuxxx has created for Lucid and now I am stuck. How can I combine all of those pets into one folder to make into an sfs. I need to take the /usr/, /bin, and so forth folders out of the pet and combine them all into single /usr, /bin. etc. folders. Like making one giant pet out of them. I can see how to do it one by one.
I have been suggesting personalised sfs files for some time so I think it's a good idea too.
I know puppy comes the the mksquashfs and dir2sfs scripts but I have not been successful using them to create a sfs.

What I tried was, rename package.pet to package.pet.tar.gz then extract the file to /mnt/home/working, then while in the working type dir2pet name-001 and a sfs file name-001.sfs should be created. I also assumed that you could extract many pets to the working directory before you applied the dir2sfs script.

Maybe some one can explain the error of my ways.

Thanks

DaveS

#1953 Post by DaveS »

smokey01 wrote:
playdayz wrote:I have collected all of the pet packages ttuuxxx has created for Lucid and now I am stuck. How can I combine all of those pets into one folder to make into an sfs. I need to take the /usr/, /bin, and so forth folders out of the pet and combine them all into single /usr, /bin. etc. folders. Like making one giant pet out of them. I can see how to do it one by one.
I have been suggesting personalised sfs files for some time so I think it's a good idea too.
I know puppy comes the the mksquashfs and dir2sfs scripts but I have not been successful using them to create a sfs.

What I tried was, rename package.pet to package.pet.tar.gz then extract the file to /mnt/home/working, then while in the working type dir2pet name-001 and a sfs file name-001.sfs should be created. I also assumed that you could extract many pets to the working directory before you applied the dir2sfs script.

Thanks
Do it the easy way... use petmakerplus http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=290171
It has an sfs option. Select it from the tabs.
I have a huge 8.2mb sfs that totally customises Puppy for me, but I also have a .pet which does the same but works better. Forget why... think it was something to do with links. :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#1954 Post by playdayz »

SFS making. Here's what I do.

I create the potential sfs in a folder the same as in making a pet--in fact it often is the pet. Then,

Code: Select all

mksquashfs4 name-of-folder name-of-folder.sfs -noI
At the end is -noI (the capital ninth letter of the alphabet). It disables compression of the inodes--which fixed a problem that prevented a jre sfs from working.

DaveS

#1955 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:SFS making. Here's what I do.

I create the potential sfs in a folder the same as in making a pet--in fact it often is the pet. Then,

mksquashfs4 name-of-folder name-of-folder.sfs -noI
At the end is -noI (the capital ninth letter of the alphabet). It disables compression of the inodes--which fixed a problem that prevented a jre sfs from working.
Odd. I didnt do that and got a nice jre sfs working. Huh..... beginners luck :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#1956 Post by playdayz »

Odd. I didnt do that and got a nice jre sfs working. Huh..... beginners luck
I was getting one that would work on my machine--sometimes--depending which directories I put the java stuff in. But other times, the contents of directories would disappear. At least the -noI is a possible option to keep in mind.

rcrsn51

#1957 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Beem: Try this:

1. Locate the hidden file /root/.XResources

2. Add the line

xmessage*international:true
3. Restart X.

playdayz

#1958 Post by playdayz »

Possibility.

The issues with jwm that caused Openbox to be default have been worked away. Shinobar's firstrun wizard deals with one of them (not relocating panel when changing screen resolution).

Stellarium not running properly full screen seems to be fixed in 493.

OpenOffice Impress seems to be OK in 493.

The last problem is that the widget at the lower right of gnome-mplayer does not cause full-screen (unless you click it 3 times!)--I have a gnome-mplayer that I removed that widget from, and there are still 2 other ways to cause full screen.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1959 Post by Béèm »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Beem: Try this:

1. Locate the hidden file /root/.XResources

2. Add the line

xmessage*international:true
3. Restart X.
Brilliant, rcrsn51
As well in UTF as in no-UTF the display is correct now, altho the font has changed, but that's not a big deal.
But I still have those messages when executed through a console.

######### locale nl_BE and utf ##########
# CPUtemp
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
# 

######### locale nl_BE no utf #########
# CPUtemp
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
# 
I suppose this addition only effects xmesssage, but not other applications like ROX.

A pity that this code isn't by default in the .XResources file.
I keep having the impression, that National Language Support is the poor guy in puppy.
Last edited by Béèm on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

rcrsn51

#1960 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:A pity that this code isn't by default in the .Xsources file.
I keep having the impression, that National Language Support is the poor guy in puppy.
I don't know enough about NLS to comment. But it would be interesting to know why this works better in fluppy.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1961 Post by Béèm »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Béèm wrote:A pity that this code isn't by default in the .Xsources file.
I don't know enough about NLS to comment. But it would be interesting to know why this works better in fluppy.
I looked at the fluppy 8 sfs, but /Xsources doesn't contain the statement you advised. Nor did fluppy's save file.
I will ask Jemimah.

National Language Support is simple in the concept. The user should be able to write with accented characters and use the dead-key support.
Not only for text in documents, but also for file names on his PC.
I know it's easy to say and less evident to implement maybe.
I suspect it's a matter of size.
NLS support fully implemented would grow a puppy pretty much I suppose, which is against some goal to reduce puppy as much as possible in size.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#1962 Post by playdayz »

NLS support fully implemented would grow a puppy pretty much I suppose, which is against some goal to reduce puppy as much as possible in size.
Not necessarily I don't think. If the NLS support was provided by Language Packs as shinobar has done, so that one could download, for instance, French, and have the the French for all or most puppy programs. I definitely agree with your original statement in terms of size if all languages were automatically provided. A little program like mtpaint could have 750K of program code and over 1 MB of languages.

Getting the Language Packs adapted to Lucid and providing them in PPM is a goal which will depend on what goes on for the next 2-3 weeks.

01micko

#1963 Post by 01micko »

One by one? .. take you an hour!

Here's a script that takes a second...

#!/bin/sh
#script to turn a pack of puppy pets into an sfs
#plonk this in your $PATH.. suggest /usr/sbin
#usage
#make a directory any where you like and put in a bunch of pet packages
#invoke IN THAT DIRECTORY "pet2sfs <somename>-<verionnumber>"
#OR invoke IN THAT DIRECTORY "pet2sfs <somename>-<verionnumber> <option-for-mksquashfs>"
#give it a version number
#extra parameter if you want to preserve inodes or add other options to 'mksquashfs' eg -noI
[[ $1 = "" ]]&& echo "error, you must give a name for you new sfs" && exit
[[ `echo $1|grep "-"` = "" ]]&& echo "error, you must give a version number using a dash  to delimit for you new sfs" && exit
CURDIR=`pwd`
cd $CURDIR
DIR="$1"
mkdir $DIR 
LIST=`ls|grep pet$` 
#extract pets
for i in $LIST;do
PKGNAME=`basename $i .pet`
mv -f $i ${i}.tar.gz
tar -zxf ${i}.tar.gz 2>/dev/null
cp -rf $PKGNAME/* $DIR
rm -rf $PKGNAME
mv -f ${i}.tar.gz $i
sync
continue
done
cd $CURDIR/$DIR
rm -f pet.specs
[ -x pinstall.sh ] && rm -f pinstall.sh
[ -x puninstall.sh ] && rm -f puninstall.sh
cd $CURDIR
#make sfs
echo "now making ${DIR}.sfs" &
sleep 2
mksquashfs $DIR ${DIR}.sfs $2
sync
[[ `ls|grep  ${DIR}.sfs` = "" ]]&& echo "error: something went wrong, ${DIR}.sfs didn't get created" && cd $HOME &&exit
cd $HOME
echo "${DIR}.sfs created. All done"
echo "Cheerio"
Cheers!

(um.. this script probably took far less time to write than unpacking and repacking all ttuuxxx' packages one by one!)
Attachments
example.png
this is what I see in ~/bunchofpets dir after I run &quot;pets2sfs whatever-1 -noI&quot;
NOTE: the 'noI' on the end is optional, you can use other params for mkaquashfs or none at all
(35.51 KiB) Downloaded 5128 times
pets2sfs-1.tar.gz
extract the script and plonk in your $PATH, suggest /usr/sbin, invoke in a directory with the pets only.. use with caution
(813 Bytes) Downloaded 5310 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#1964 Post by playdayz »

Mick to the rescue once again. Thanks for the tool.

Now, how cool is this -> ttuuxxx's treasures (6.5MB)

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/ttuux ... ures-1.sfs

beaver, dillo, evince, fileroller, freemeemapplet, gcalctool, gedit, gweled, leafpad, lxtask,moc, mrxvt, murrine, network_tray, ogle-DVD, p7zip,xz, parcellite, Remove-Thumbnails, tar-bz2-extraction-tool

I haven't tested them all.

Donwload the sfs to /mnt/home, then Menu -> System -> Bootmanager config and select ttuuxxx's_treasures.sfs and reboot. There they all are!

Looks like no menu entry in jwm for dillo but it is there and runs.

01micko

#1965 Post by 01micko »

smokey01 wrote:

Thanks
Smokey

The script I just posted will do 1 or 100 pets up into an sfs.

I just tried with 1 pet and it worked just fine. Note though that my script deletes any pet.specs or pinstall/puninstall.sh scripts.

Say you wanted to make music player sfs..
(note, these pet names are not correct, for example only)

Where ever you want you make a directory called "mymusicpets" or something.
In that directory you put say, deadbeef-1.pet, songbird-1.pet, aqualung-1.pet and more or less if you want.
The easiest way then is to open that directory in rox then right click and open a terminal.
Now, think of a name for your sfs.. lets call it mymusicsfs-1 .. give it a version number.. it can be anything, doesn't even need to be a number, but for obvious reasons it should be.
Now, in the terminal you opened type:

pets2sfs mymusicsfs-1
In a matter of seconds the mymusicsfs-1.sfs will appear in your /mymusicpets directory.

Your new sfs is ready to use.

HTH

Cheers

playdayz

#1966 Post by playdayz »

In a matter of seconds the mymusicsfs-1.sfs will appear in your /mymusicpets directory.
You new sfs is ready to use.
That's exactly what I did with about 30 pets to make ttuuxxx's treasures.

cthisbear

#1967 Post by cthisbear »

" We added it and it seemed there were conflicts "

Can't it be put in the >> drivers SFS.

What I'm saying is if you have no phone line,
and only a wireless connection....you're done.

And with Firesheep around - am I going to lower the bar??

Also some thought has go into adding those crappy Atheros drivers
as well.

That's where I'm coming from.

Chris.

playdayz

#1968 Post by playdayz »

What I'm saying is if you have no phone line,
and only a wireless connection....you're done.
Clarify for me if you could, please. I thought you could get online without pwireless2 but without the level of encryption you wanted. Is that wrong, and you can not get on line at all without pwireless2? Thanks.

Also if you could link to the drivers I will put them in PPM. I know you might have already, and I am *almost* keeping up. Thanks.

playdayz

#1969 Post by playdayz »

Someone asked about what Xorg_High did. It provides the glx drivers to allow hardware direct rendering. It provides the drivers for a number of different cards--basically all of the cards. The nv driver doesn't work very well with these drivers which is why we recommend the nvidia pets. The HD2400-5900 ATI Radeon cards perform much better, about twice as well, with their proprietary ATI Catalyst driver, which is what we recommend for them. Everything thing else including Intel cards, etc., can use Xorg_High for reasonably good performance. The ATI Radeon cards also work reasonably well with Xorg_High for those who want to stay open source.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#1970 Post by 01micko »

I've an idea...

Maybe we can hide the pwireless2 pet some where in the iso and have a menu entry to activate the install of the pet..

Cheers