Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

240: another National Language issue.

#1936 Post by Béèm »

At the configuration of my locale, nl_BE, I ticked the UTF button as recommended.

But when I had installed CPUtemp I got a wrong display (see pic)
I un-ticked the UTF button and the values where correct.
But in both cases I have messages when I execute in a console.

Code: Select all

######### locale nl_BE and utf ##########
# CPUtemp
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq: No such file or directory
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
# 

######### locale nl_BE no utf #########
# CPUtemp
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor: No such file or directory
cat: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq: No such file or directory
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
# 
Attachments
cputemp-utf.png
utf in nl_BE locale
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 901 times
cputemp-no-utf.png
no utf in nl_BE locale
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 876 times
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

playdayz

#1937 Post by playdayz »

At the configuration of my locale, nl_BE, I ticked the UTF button as recommended.

My fault Béèm, I think. Where did you install CPU-Temp from? We think that Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Scaling Tool will be reliable for all computers. Could you try that and see if it works for you? You may have to choose Remove and reboot to get a fresh start. Thank you.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 02 Dec 2010, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1938 Post by playdayz »

add Pwireless2
cthisbear, We added it and it seemed there were conflicts. Is it that hard to download from Puppy Package Manager?

abushcrafter

#1939 Post by abushcrafter »

playdayz wrote:
I guess the question remains whether xvidtune is compatible with lupu's way of doing things as any changes it makes can't be made permanent? If it doesn't work should it be there? Is there another way to do display tweaks in lupu?
Yes, if you run xorgwizard, then there will be a standard xorg.conf that xvidtune should be able to work with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compression.
It is frustrating in my experience to have to search for decompression programs. I agree it would be good to have them in the iso. We have Rar-full in PPM, but now we will have unrar in the iso.

Are there similar programs for 7z and xz? Un-7z and un-xz? That way we could put the full program in PPM for those who needed to use it to compress, and we could have the un-7z and un-xz in the iso for those who need only to decompress.

And what's up with 'ace' and 'arj'?
I have links in my "Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Improving The Wrappers From Xarchive" post. For XZ I use the PET named "xz-4.999.9beta-i486.pet" SHA1Sum="b0b7a581429d3f862665cb06b2ad1f9cda783970". For others I nick them from Peazip.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Jades

#1940 Post by Jades »

playdayz wrote:
add Pwireless2
cthisbear, We added it and it seemed there were conflicts. Is it that hard to download from Puppy Package Manager?
Downloading it from PPM kind of assumes that you have a working internet connection from wherever your PC is located. If your wireless connection needs Pwireless to work... :wink:

On the rare occasions that I want to install something from the internet on Zhaan that I can't just download on Merlin and transfer using a USB key I have to physically carry the machine into the study and plug it into the router! While the Netgear WN111v2 dongle works fine with Merlin, it doesn't with Zhaan even with Pwireless. Haven't figured out what the problem is caused by yet could just be the computer's too old.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Iguleder

#1941 Post by Iguleder »

playdayz, you should replace lzma-tools with xz-utils and take a look at the libraries - many libraries are there for nothing.

Also - some libraries also have command-line utilities or "something-common" packages that are distributed with them - in some cases, those are not needed and they waste precious space. libsndfile and flac are examples.

Oh, and one last thing - have you tried to strip the kernel modules? I stripped a 2.6.35.9 and its size went down by ~5 MB. Now the kernel PET is 19 MB, tiny. I used "--strip-debug" because "--strip-all" causes scary warnings when the kernel boots.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#1942 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:

My fault Béèm, I think. Where did you install CPU-Temp from? We think that Menu -> System -> CPU Frequency Scaling Tool will be reliable for all computers. Could you try that and see if it works for you? You may have to choose Remove and reboot to get a fresh start. Thank you.
It is rcrsn51's pet.
Being in OpenBox, I don't have the little sun in the tray.
So if I understand well I run the freq scaling, I uninstall CPUtemp and reboot.
While setting up fres scaling, I got a warning that my bios was too old, but I could continue.
Time savers:

playdayz

#1943 Post by playdayz »

Downloading it from PPM kind of assumes that you have a working internet connection from wherever your PC is located. If your wireless connection needs Pwireless to work.
Yes, but my impression was that he could connect but not with the level of encryption he preferred.

Béèm

#1944 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
playdayz wrote:

It is rcrsn51's pet.
Being in OpenBox, I don't have the little sun in the tray.
So if I understand well I run the freq scaling, I uninstall CPUtemp and reboot.
While setting up fres scaling, I got a warning that my bios was too old, but I could continue.
So freq scaling is active now, but I still have the wrong display for the temp when UTF is ticked and a message when UTF is not ticked.

# CPUtemp
# 

# CPUtemp
#
Time savers:

playdayz

#1945 Post by playdayz »

So freq scaling is active now, but I still have the wrong display for the temp when UTF is ticked and a message when UTF is not ticked.
Code:
# CPUtemp
#

# CPUtemp
#
I see, Beem. It is not the freq scaling program but the one that reads temperatures. Shinobar has asked for comment about whether UTF-8 by default is a good idea or not.

rcrsn51

#1946 Post by rcrsn51 »

I suspect that Beem's problem with CPUtemp comes from xmessage, which produces the pop-up window. It may not be able to deal with locale issues.

playdayz

#1947 Post by playdayz »

I have collected all of the pet packages ttuuxxx has created for Lucid and now I am stuck. How can I combine all of those pets into one folder to make into an sfs. I need to take the /usr/, /bin, and so forth folders out of the pet and combine them all into single /usr, /bin. etc. folders. Like making one giant pet out of them. I can see how to do it one by one.

playdayz

#1948 Post by playdayz »

rcrsn51 wrote:I suspect that Beem's problem with CPUtemp comes from xmessage, which produces the pop-up window. It may not be able to deal with locale issues.
So maybe a different way to read the temps? What does Menu -> System -> hardinfo show under Sensors? I get nothing unfortunately, but some people get resutls.

playdayz

#1949 Post by playdayz »

ttuuxxx, You made that Ogle look good enough and small enough that it would be possible to include in the iso. *Except* the full screen does not work in Openbox. It does work in jwm--my guess is because they both use some older method. Is there any chance you can get the full screen to work in Openbox? Or maybe someone knows what I am doing wrong.

Béèm

#1950 Post by Béèm »

playdayz wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:I suspect that Beem's problem with CPUtemp comes from xmessage, which produces the pop-up window. It may not be able to deal with locale issues.
So maybe a different way to read the temps? What does Menu -> System -> hardinfo show under Sensors? I get nothing unfortunately, but some people get results.
If it is as rcrsn51 suspects and if puppy's are made from the same woof, the problem could be in other puppy's as well.
I tested squeeze 009 and have the same issue.
I tested fluppy 8 and I don't have the issue, neither in UTF nor in no-UTF.
I tried HW info sensors and in both cases the display is correct

-Cooling Fans-
fan1		: 0RPM
-Temperatures-
temp1		: 50.00°C
temp2		: 49.00°C
temp3		: 0.00°C
temp4		: 0.00°C
temp5		: 0.00°C
temp6		: 0.00°C
temp7		: 0.00°C
temp8		: 0.00°C
-Voltage Values-
-ACPI Thermal Zone-
THM0		: 50°C
Time savers:

rcrsn51

#1951 Post by rcrsn51 »

Béèm wrote:I tested fluppy 8 and I don't have the issue, neither in UTF nor in no-UTF.
Perhaps Jemimah would know why her version of xmessage can handle UTF issues better.

smokey01

#1952 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:I have collected all of the pet packages ttuuxxx has created for Lucid and now I am stuck. How can I combine all of those pets into one folder to make into an sfs. I need to take the /usr/, /bin, and so forth folders out of the pet and combine them all into single /usr, /bin. etc. folders. Like making one giant pet out of them. I can see how to do it one by one.
I have been suggesting personalised sfs files for some time so I think it's a good idea too.
I know puppy comes the the mksquashfs and dir2sfs scripts but I have not been successful using them to create a sfs.

What I tried was, rename package.pet to package.pet.tar.gz then extract the file to /mnt/home/working, then while in the working type dir2pet name-001 and a sfs file name-001.sfs should be created. I also assumed that you could extract many pets to the working directory before you applied the dir2sfs script.

Maybe some one can explain the error of my ways.

Thanks

DaveS

#1953 Post by DaveS »

smokey01 wrote:
playdayz wrote:I have collected all of the pet packages ttuuxxx has created for Lucid and now I am stuck. How can I combine all of those pets into one folder to make into an sfs. I need to take the /usr/, /bin, and so forth folders out of the pet and combine them all into single /usr, /bin. etc. folders. Like making one giant pet out of them. I can see how to do it one by one.
I have been suggesting personalised sfs files for some time so I think it's a good idea too.
I know puppy comes the the mksquashfs and dir2sfs scripts but I have not been successful using them to create a sfs.

What I tried was, rename package.pet to package.pet.tar.gz then extract the file to /mnt/home/working, then while in the working type dir2pet name-001 and a sfs file name-001.sfs should be created. I also assumed that you could extract many pets to the working directory before you applied the dir2sfs script.

Maybe some one can explain the error of my ways.

Thanks
Do it the easy way... use petmakerplus http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=290171
It has an sfs option. Select it from the tabs.
I have a huge 8.2mb sfs that totally customises Puppy for me, but I also have a .pet which does the same but works better. Forget why... think it was something to do with links. :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

playdayz

#1954 Post by playdayz »

SFS making. Here's what I do.

I create the potential sfs in a folder the same as in making a pet--in fact it often is the pet. Then,

mksquashfs4 name-of-folder name-of-folder.sfs -noI
At the end is -noI (the capital ninth letter of the alphabet). It disables compression of the inodes--which fixed a problem that prevented a jre sfs from working.

DaveS

#1955 Post by DaveS »

playdayz wrote:SFS making. Here's what I do.

I create the potential sfs in a folder the same as in making a pet--in fact it often is the pet. Then,

mksquashfs4 name-of-folder name-of-folder.sfs -noI
At the end is -noI (the capital ninth letter of the alphabet). It disables compression of the inodes--which fixed a problem that prevented a jre sfs from working.
Odd. I didnt do that and got a nice jre sfs working. Huh..... beginners luck :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!