Lupu-515 Beta New Version DEC 18

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gabe

#1501 Post by gabe »

playdayz wrote:
Gnome-mplayer
Mplayer is also different in Lucid 5.2 development versions. You might check Prefeneces and set the Video to xv and postprocessing to maximum. In 5.1 you might download a newer mplayer from PPM: Multimedia.
I tested both 5.1.1 and Luci-238 (the one in the first post of this thread). Both versions of gnome-mplayer display the same problem. The files I've tested are AVC (H.264) and have embedded postprocessing--the player should NOT apply any of its own to AVC streams, ever! The speed in xv is barely different. Also, subtitle rendering is flawed on internal ssa subtitles (not a big deal, but playback is). GXine (Puppy 4.2 et al) is both orders of magnitudes faster and renders correctly without jaggies and graphical glitches. It is also extremely small and can play DVDs.

I will upload a sample file later if you really can't reproduce this (ANY AVC file, be it in mp4 or mkv, show this problem, and only on this player). Again, VLC works perfectly, and plays even HD video at full speed with correct subtitle rendering on my standard netbook with standard i945 gfx chipset.

Also, in case some people missed it last time, all puppy versions up to luci-236 (including 4.x, 5.1.1, etc) booted perfectly from USB with one click from Unetbootin and/or pendrivelinux Universal USB Installer.

DaveS

#1502 Post by DaveS »

239, JWM. Nah.. calender dont work :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Billtoo

Lucid Puppy 5.2 Base Luci-239 New Version NOV 25

#1503 Post by Billtoo »

I installed 239 to a flash drive with bootflash.
I installed the ati driver in quickpet and it works great.
# glxgears
19547 frames in 5.0 seconds
19590 frames in 5.0 seconds
19586 frames in 5.0 seconds
19599 frames in 5.0 seconds
19600 frames in 5.0 seconds
#
OpenGL
Vendor ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Version 3.3.10243 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes

I installed a few pets that I've made in the last few days and they
still work in 239 :)
Attachments
239scrn.jpg
(160.19 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

abushcrafter

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.2 Base Luci-239 New Version NOV 25

#1504 Post by abushcrafter »

playdayz wrote:12. I just used my one hundredth CD in testing Lucid.
Ouch!

What about my goods I posted several pages back?
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

gabe

#1505 Post by gabe »

Found the reason gnome-mplayer was abysmally slow AND why the video was rendered incorrectly (including all xvid/divx/x264/flv/etc).

De-interlace video was active by default. It should ONLY be activated (MANUALLY) for interlaced videos, and should absolutely NOT be selected by default. Post-processing also should not be activated by default -- it should be left up to the user if he/she wishes to eliminate all the detail in his/her videos and slow the player to a grinding halt. :(

These two options (post-processing and de-interlace) should not be enabled by default. And before you ask, yes--I do know what I'm talking about. Not only do I have great experience in encoding and video compression, but I can also thankfully monitor the fps of the video playback and CPU usage in htop. :)

edoc

#1506 Post by edoc »

Luci-239 does not like the Intel 82852/855GM graphics in my Panasonic Toughbook CF-29.

I get a blank screen and can only break out with a cold reboot.

dpup009 and Luci-236 handle it fine.

Code: Select all

# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Puppy Linux luci_239 Frugal (on /dev/sda2)
  root (hd0,1)
  kernel (hd0,1)/luci_239/vmlinuz pfix=fsck PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=sda2 psubdir=luci_239 acpi=noirq nosmp vga=normal video=640x480
  initrd (hd0,1)/luci_239/initrd.gz
  # Linux bootable partition config ends
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

nooby

#1507 Post by nooby »

Gabe I guess it could help a lot of us if you describe how we can can also turn it off.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

maxpro4u

full install using frugal

#1508 Post by maxpro4u »

When I booted for the first time with a frugal install, it is totally in ram, right? My C drive is not mounted. Can I format the C drive and do a full install if I have the iso on a USB drive? I do not have a burner nor will the pc boot with a USB. There is no floppy drive either.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

gabe

#1509 Post by gabe »

My graphics card:
"Intel Corporation 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)"
also experiences random crashes with "intel," and I haven't gotten it to test properly with "old i815" -- but it might work with that. The difference with the above poster is that mine crashes during runtime randomly (after watching a youtube video, for instance) but not at boot because I have GRUB4Dos in Linux Console mode. ;)
Gabe I guess it could help a lot of us if you describe how we can can also turn it off.
Oh, I was so busy reporting it (for development) hadn't considered people actually USING it. Sorry, sorry. Assuming you don't want to edit config files, go to Edit -> Preferences (in gnome mplayer).
Player tab
Drag the slider for "Post-procesing level" all the way to the left ("No postprocessing" should be reported).
Mplayer tab
Uncheck "Deinterlace video"

edoc

#1510 Post by edoc »

Can I force a generic driver in GRUB?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

playdayz

#1511 Post by playdayz »

gabe, We are happy to have your input. Would it be possible to provide links to a sample video or two so we could be looking at the same thing. Thanks.

Here are some files I test with, for comparison.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mediatest.tar.gz

Sorry that I can't remember, but if you haven't you might try the Xorg_High driver available in Quickpet -> Drivers. It would provide dri for the intel chipset (or should). After install you can check with glxgears, glxinfo, or hardinfo -> Display to see the OpenGL info, as I'm sure you know.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 26 Nov 2010, 00:58, edited 2 times in total.

Brown Mouse

#1512 Post by Brown Mouse »

In 239

Installed correct Nvidia driver and Opera from Quickpet

Something not quite right with Pidgin.When you click a web link from within chat,it opens up the 'Browser installer'.

The 'Firewall status'icon seems to function correctly now after rebooting.

playdayz

#1513 Post by playdayz »

So symlink or anything just making a first time version of Luci_238 that a newbie would only installed a browser I chose FF 4.07

Next boot failed. and next boot failed too. They go to kernel panic.
Probably better to use luci-239.

So you boot with pfix=ram. Then you install FF 4b7. Then you Shutdown and in shutdown you create a save file? Then it will not reboot?

Perhaps, Shutdown and create a Save file before you install anything.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 25 Nov 2010, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#1514 Post by playdayz »

Brown Mouse
Something not quite right with Pidgin.When you click a web link from within chat,it opens up the 'Browser installer'.

Use the browser-default to make Opera the default browser. The pet (which I made) does not do that, unfortunately.

browser-default is the globe next to the menu button in the lower left.

playdayz

#1515 Post by playdayz »

What about my goods I posted several pages back?
Thanks for the contributions ;-) Maybe you can take them off your taxes.

Brown Mouse

#1516 Post by Brown Mouse »

playdayz wrote:Brown Mouse

Use the browser-default to make Opera the default browser. The pet (which I made) does not do that, unfortunately.

browser-default is the globe next to the menu button in the lower left.
Playdayz

Thanks,problem solved :)

playdayz

#1517 Post by playdayz »

edoc,
Boot with the parameter 'pfix=nox'. That should boot to a prompt. At the prompt enter 'xorg-setup'. That will start the xorgwizard. Or enter xorgwizard twice==same result.

We have not changed any graphics since 236, but Barry may have changed something in Woof. I would like to know.

edoc

#1518 Post by edoc »

No joy, pfix-nox made no difference, the blank screen was unresponsive.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

nooby

#1519 Post by nooby »

playdayz wrote:
Nooby wrote : So symlink or anything just making a first time version of Luci_238 that a newbie would only installed a browser I chose FF 4.07

Next boot failed. and next boot failed too. They go to kernel panic.
Playdayz suggests:

Probably better to use luci-239.

So you boot with pfix=ram. Then you install FF 4b7. Then you Shutdown and in shutdown you create a save file? Then it will not reboot?

Perhaps, Shutdown and create a Save file before you install anything.

would that really help I did try to be very basic using luci-239 so I doubt I did something wrong.

The cool thing is that Puppy Studio that are based on Lupu5.1.1 do boot each time but I have not tested more than two in a row.

Luci fail to boot each first time and most likely the second and only boot on third reboot.

What has changed in that regard that luci would be more problematic to boot compared to lupu?

I go to bed now so will not do any test for some 12 hour or more in case I go to big town to buy a statue of Guan Yin? Amida Buddha female counter part.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ICPUG

#1520 Post by ICPUG »

DM was on fire! wrote:ICPUG, you will find that no matter what puplet you are running, they are all essentially the same on the inside. They might have different WMs or programs, but the base system is all the same. :)
The base system is not all the same! As woof develops the underlying scripts change, so a system based on woof as at November 2010 may be different to that based on woof at October 2010.

Then there are those puplets not based on woof at all but maybe T2 or maybe the puplet developer uses his own method/scripts.